Employed Patient? An Interesting Article.

US MI: Conference to Discuss Impact of Med Marijuana

facebook.gif stumble.gif diggit.gif reddit.gif delicious.gif

URL: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v11/n119/a06.html

Newshawk: Richard Lake

Votes: 0

Pubdate: Tue, 22 Feb 2011

Source: Grand Traverse Insider (Traverse City, MI)

Copyright: 2011 Morning Star Publishing, a Journal Register Property

Contact:male2('news','grandtraverseinsider.com'); news@grandtraverseinsider.com

Website: http://www.morningstarpublishing.com/grand_traverse_insider/

Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/5241

Author: Jeffray N. Kessler, Contributing Writer

Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/find?275 (Cannabis - Michigan)

<P class=clipping>CONFERENCE TO DISCUSS IMPACT OF MED MARIJUANA

NORTHERN MICHIGAN - The Employer Training Council, in conjunction with the Northwest Michigan Council of Governments, is sponsoring a conference designed to help businesses deal with the complex and multifaceted issue of medical marijuana in the work place.

"Medical Marijuana The Law and How it Impacts Your Business and Employees" will take place at the Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City Wednesday, Feb. 23 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Conference literature promotes "Create a Company Policy to Protect You and Your Employees" as the primary theme.

"The conference is a response to the pulse in the market place, particularly members of the Employer Training Council, to deal with contemporary business needs in this new area," said Michigan Works Business Services Assistant Sharon Laraway-Gordon.

"People will go away with good ideas, maybe not their last ideas, but a very good start."

The conference touts a diverse slate of speakers. Panelists include: Thomas Gilbert, J.D., M.A. Touchstone Intervention and Professional Services and a former judge; Darryl Lesoski, M.D and Director of Occupational Health for Munson Healthcare; and Donald Lawless, a Grand Rapids attorney specializing in labor and employment law.

They will address issues including but not limited to employee advocacy, human resources, policy composition, prescription legality, and corporate liability.

Michelle Socha, Michigan Works Business Liason said, "There will be a professional moderator, and a great deal of time devoted to questions and answers, so we are expecting a good exchange between attendees and the panel."

Nate Capellupo is also a business liaison for Michigan Works and involved in the conference's organization.

"We want to inform employers, satisfy curiosities and address possible areas of conflict," he said. "Things like zero tolerance versus legal descriptions are open to interpretation. We hope this will be a place to start dialogue for a variety of related and very real issues."

"Employers are telling us they need to develop policies before something happens."

Socha added, "The conference will offer practical ways to tweak or rework policies, based on current knowledge and law. We are looking forward to discussions that clear up issues with medical marijuana like its use as medication versus recreation."

"We urge business owners, human resources managers, executives, attorneys and healthcare professionals to attend to increase their own knowledge about an issue that is in a state of flux," Capellupo added.

Laraway-Gordon agreed.

"It is all about knowledge," she said. "There are questions dealing with how long marijuana stays in the system and how it impacts performance and behavior on the job and when and why marijuana is prescribed. There are OSHA standards and general safety to consider."

For more information and cost to attend the conference, call 231-922-3757 or visit www.nwm.org/ETC.asp. The conference is co-supported by TAHRA and area chambers of commerce.

MAP posted-by: Richard Lake

Sounds like a great place for a real " right to work " (1) protest this morning . Since the war on drugs there is so much more enterprise and $$$ on both sides of the fight . Someone please help me find the angle for the patients who must use this program due to societies inability to comfort , diagnose , and treat their health conditions . Patients fleeing from the injurious

medical practices of present times who find no other comfort and benefit from use .

http://ipr.interloch...iness-employees

People still falsely refer to Medicinal Cannabis in Michigan as being prescribed not understanding the Federal implications and true complexities to bring down the barriers of discrimination surrounding a plant in raw form that is no different then willow bark is to asprin . This is Interlochen Public Radio's site . People trying to make rules are creating so much false information without proper knowledge . Most patients on the program like myself reading everyday since 2008 are behind the curve and surely not lawyers who need to fix all these laws to include patients in society again .

Workshop for Employers - Medical Marijuana: The Law and How it Impacts Your Business & Employees

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 9:00am

Ticket price: $75

The Employer Training Council (ETC) is hosting a workshop to help employers understand and develop company policy regarding prescription marijuana. Medical Marijuana: The Law and How it Impacts Your Business and Employees will be held on February 23rd from 9am to 1pm at the Great Wolf Lodge Conference Room in Traverse City. The workshop will feature a panel of experts: Darryl Lesoski, M.D., Donald Lawless, J.D., and Thomas Gilbert, J.D. Seating is limited. Advance registration is recommended and available at a reduced rate. Workshop registration is $75 per person by February 16; $100 per person thereafter. A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided. The workshop is endorsed by the Traverse Area Human Resource Association, area chambers of commerce, and is approved to offer 4 HRCI credits. For more information and to register for the workshop, visit the ETC website at www.nwm.org/etc.asp or call Sharon Gordon at 922.3757.

See More: Community Events

http://ipr.interloch...iness-employees

(1) Right to work defined by Republicans as a way to take away the peoples rights to collective bargaining enslaving them to employers in the private or Government sectors . The concept has nothing to do with a actual right to work patients seek while using their Doctor recommended activities based on abilities balanced by at will employment standards set forth in Michigan .

Thanks for the post, greenbuddha. If you find any info on the outcome of this conference, please let us know.

Croppled1, your view of 'Right to Work' turns the concept of liberty on it's head. If I want to go into a profession or get a job that requires that I join the union even if I don't want to, how is that freedom? If they use my union dues to support and elect democrats, which they do, and I'm a conservative, isn't that the very definition of tyranny? On the practical front, more and more businesses today are looking to relocate in right to work states. Why, because they're evil? Hardly. They need to make a profit, and stay competitive to stay in business. That means lost jobs in states that have forced unionization. Unions demand above market wages and benefits and impose work rules that make business very ineffecient. If people want to organize and join unions, fine. Just don't demand that I do it too.

hmm, that was today, and ended 15 minutes ago.

I find it interesting out of their list of esteemed speakers, their was not one Proponant of Medical Marihuana included.

Dont see a name for anyone that works DIRECTLY with the Pts of MMJ, so i am concerned of the potential for dubious intents to fly wildly in this "Meeting/Directive.

how can they get a FULL understanding of MMJs effects on Paitents, unless they have Pts or Drs for Patients, or Advocates for MMJ, that have indisputable evidence and facts about MMJ and how it effect the human brain, thus how it effects the employee as well as the employer.

<BR>Thanks for the post, greenbuddha. If you find any info on the outcome of this conference, please let us know.<BR><BR>Croppled1, your view of 'Right to Work' turns the concept of liberty on it's head. If I want to go into a profession or get a job that requires that I join the union even if I don't want to, how is that freedom? If they use my union dues to support and elect democrats, which they do, and I'm a conservative, isn't that the very definition of tyranny? On the practical front, more and more businesses today are looking to relocate in right to work states. Why, because they're evil? Hardly. They need to make a profit, and stay competitive to stay in business. That means lost jobs in states that have forced unionization. Unions demand above market wages and benefits and impose work rules that make business very ineffecient. If people want to organize and join unions, fine. Just don't demand that I do it too.<BR>
<BR><BR>I don't want to argue with people in our ranks but I would love to see you negotiate with Harry Bennett for Henry Ford ( the machine gun turrets are still out at his home outside Ann Arbor last I looked ) ) or Carnegie alone . Good luck your fired another body is brought in until it wears out or a cheaper one is found ... read your history . I have seen what happens when a Union is collapsed by right to work its not about freedom- its about unfair wages . You do not get something for nothing . Unions members share the cost of Lawyers , and many other items that level the playing field with big business and can make for a better life . Union members are paid a supportive wage that fluctuates up and down in bargaining depending on the times . Many union members in Michigan have accepted cuts the past decade . It is not a one way street of always higher wages however in right to work States I have never seen workers benefit from the mythical increased margin . Health , retirement and educational benefits all but dissapear overnight for the majority of workers . The workforce becomes a commodity with each employee subject to replacement at whim due to age , injury , personality clashes , and many corrupt influences . There is less stability in the work place , local communities interconnected economy along with fear and lack of measureable uniform education and experience standards within the ranks . <BR><BR><BR>You can bid on any job a Union shop does along side it unless the contractor says no or open a competing business anytime you want . People vote on whether or not to have a union shop and they also decide whether to apply at Union shops once one is organized . . Unions have standards of education and practical work experience that are often preferred by contractors . They have always set the standards of quality and fairness others measure themselves by . Their roots go back thousands of years before Government sponsored colleges . Unions created the middle class in this country and the improved wages of entire shops hardly compare in total dollar amounts of real wage offenders corperate boards comprised of peer's have created like Hank McKinnel 's package ex CEO of Pfizer or Ex Tyco CEO Leo Kozlowski ( also a criminal case ).<BR><BR><BR>On payments to one political party or the other how much do you think the Republican's received from Meijers or Dow ..Democrats might not like ... look at Snyder's support list he was forced to release after first trying to keep it private . <BR><BR><BR><BR>Get rid of candidate specific PAC money period to solve the problem you call attention too and create a even pool for all ballot Candidates to draw from equally in each election (preventing people from buying them like just occurred in Michigan ) Have National and Local debates recorded for Internet play and available up until voting day . I am with you lets get rid of corruption in practice and method . If there are bad union practices correct them but do not take away a persons ability to collectively bargain - you won't like what you have afterwords - it will not create strong communities , more and better jobs . It will create unprotected individuals subject to poverty , abuse and rapid decline with unstable local populations . Unions are being made a scapegoat in the current job environment for poor past economic decisions . <BR><BR>I hope this helps you understand my thoughts a little better and if you have the time your welcome to express more of yours to me . I can always learn . These are very complex issues . I really like seeing tax incentives to promote new business , empowerment zones .etc . I was a Republican for many years , still vote for the best Candidate and often cross parties . In the past decade I cannot say my values have lined up with Michigan Republicans who are erroding rights like in collective bargaining that people died to win a few generations ago because of terrible injustices that dwarf any percieved imbalances now . These are fundemental freedoms whose loss may prevent their ever being won back again . Surely you cannot believe individual blue collar workers can negotiate in opposition to large corperations . Alone they would be fired for even questioning the status quo . Look at our MM communites positon were fighting to orginize now and defeat Goliath ...mostely corperate influences that have the support of Government in a symbiotic relationship against us supporting the status quo drug war . Have a great day .

http://detnews.com/article/20110226/POLITICS02/102260373/1409/rss36

Archived