Low Income Newbie: Need Help And Advice On Grow Room

Classified

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and I just got approved for my my Medicinal Marijuana Card. Feel free to applaud if you like, I know I did. Great day except that my car broke down on the way home! Anyways...

I am looking for a viable and cheap grow room for as little as possible. I'm willing to start off small if I can upgrade as time goes on, but if an upgradeable set up is not possible, I would like something that can have 5 veg, and 5 flower in a perpetual grow.

Here is my living situation. I live with others, I don't need to hide anything from them, but I would like to keep it stealth. We do have family come to visit us on occasion and I would prefer THEY don't know what's going on.

So smell elimination is definatley a high concern.

I have a typical Michigan basement, cement floors and an overall cold - cool temperature. Not sure of the mold situation down there but I'm sure it could be bleached. I have ample room available.. the basement has no use but storage so this is where I'd prefer to grow.

I'm living on very low income and need to find a cheap way to do this. I'm not asking for handouts but if anyone wants to donate any equipment or are willing to help me build a room that fits my needs, I would more than appreciate it.

Otherwise I can save up and do what I need to do myself, but I definatley need pointers in cost effective solutions that I could persue.

I plan on growing in dirt.

Thank you so much.

check out the grow area, and look for the Budget Grow thread.

I want to say the OP sated he spent approximatly 60 or so dollars for everything he needed. ie lights nutes, pots, soil ect... and used s "Purposed" free clone.

its a very helpfull thread, thou it does seem to get majorly derailed around pg 4. but overall, the cost effective nature of the thread is very good info imo. I also am new, and the thread was pretty insightfull to oveall cost.

maybe you could do a DYI tent setup in the MI Basement, this would be easier to heat, which would help lessen overall expenses. some insulation maybe on the floor and around the tent if the basement is cool/cold. humidity will be a factor you ll need t be aware of and watch. mi basements tend to be high in humidity.

could be done as inexpensivly as possible, depending on your ability ot source raw items and build/manufacture suitable things.

cant help on smell suppression. still looking into it myself.

Ah yes, thanks.. but as a dirt grower, that seems to be for you bubblefolk. Preferably, id like to have a cheap 10-12 plant set up, with a veg and flower room. for as cheap as possible.. but id be willing to start with 2 plants if it could be upgraded eventually without having to buy all new equipment.

Ah yes, thanks.. but as a dirt grower, that seems to be for you bubblefolk. Preferably, id like to have a cheap 10-12 plant set up, with a veg and flower room. for as cheap as possible.. but id be willing to start with 2 plants if it could be upgraded eventually without having to buy all new equipment.

never judge a book by its cover....

there is tons of dirt info in there from myself and many other WELL respected soil/mix growers.

best of luck to you

SpartanHort, on 17 February 2011 - 01:43 PM, said:

JimD, Im in a simular situation, my CG and I are finishing my cabinet now with clones going in on March 1st.

This is the set up we went with:

4'w x 8'l x 6'h

2" x 3" framing ----17 @ 8'......................$1.70= $29.00

1/2" osb floor ----1 sheet ......................$8.00= $8.00

7/16" osb front(doors) & top ----3 sheets........$7.00= $21.00

1/2 dry wall ---4 sheets ........................$6.50= $26.00(we found 5 sheets for 75% off in the cull pile)

4" inline duct fan ............................... $25.00 ^ $10

oscilating fan........................................ on hand

2 bubble totes ............................... $60.00

4' cfl (starter) for veg ............................. on hand

400 hps ballast,bulb,reflector (Famtek)............... $200.00

nutes................................................. $30.00

hardware(hinges,hasps,screws,brachets) ............... $20.00

casters .............................................. $30.00

DIY air filter ....................................... $20.00

paint ..........................

I recommend either 6' or 8' tall/long to maximize sheet goods. It looks like we have less than $500 out of pocket but we still need meters and other sheet.The box is starting out divided into 2 4'x4' chambers, eventually divider will be removed and a seperate veg chamber will be built. The vent fan and HPS light aren't battle tested I will update when we know more... Locked cabinet in a locked out-building. It looks like a large storage cabinet. I hope this helps.

happy growing

SH

^cut/paste from another thread, about $200 not including an HID light. Again, not tested but looks good, although I think i may switch to a 6in fan(less than $40).

Also, just for clearification do you have a typical "Michigan basemant" or a typical basemant in suburban Michigan. Most "Michigan basements" are kinda sketchy; dirt walls, field stone, half walls, 4' ceiling....that type thing. Not trying to nit-pick just want to know what you're working with.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, I finally have the room to make my grow room. thequietone was supposed to come and help me build a grow room, but he no longer replies to my messages. The pictures are up in my gallery. If anyone would like to come and help me build a cheap donkey grow room, i would appreciate it :) let me know. thanks in advance.

Archived