Low Income Newbie: Need Help And Advice On Grow Room

Classified

check out the grow area, and look for the Budget Grow thread.

I want to say the OP sated he spent approximatly 60 or so dollars for everything he needed. ie lights nutes, pots, soil ect... and used s "Purposed" free clone.

its a very helpfull thread, thou it does seem to get majorly derailed around pg 4. but overall, the cost effective nature of the thread is very good info imo. I also am new, and the thread was pretty insightfull to oveall cost.

maybe you could do a DYI tent setup in the MI Basement, this would be easier to heat, which would help lessen overall expenses. some insulation maybe on the floor and around the tent if the basement is cool/cold. humidity will be a factor you ll need t be aware of and watch. mi basements tend to be high in humidity.

could be done as inexpensivly as possible, depending on your ability ot source raw items and build/manufacture suitable things.

cant help on smell suppression. still looking into it myself.

charcoal filters! make sure you vent it out,,preferably your house chimney,,if not some where directly to a vent in the upper most part of your home so neighbors mite get a whiff but wont know where is is comeing from as most the time the smell will stay up higher!..seal a room good if possible,,i find it a lot harder to keep the smelll down in a tent...but than again i like the smell of marijuana,,so well you know,,,we go around and lite joints and put them in our incense holders!

Peace

FTW

jim

charcoal filters! make sure you vent it out,,preferably your house chimney,,if not some where directly to a vent in the upper most part of your home so neighbors mite get a whiff but wont know where is is comeing from as most the time the smell will stay up higher!..seal a room good if possible,,i find it a lot harder to keep the smelll down in a tent...but than again i like the smell of marijuana,,so well you know,,,we go around and lite joints and put them in our incense holders!

Peace

FTW

jim

Yes...And besides its not illegal for me to grow cannabis so I'm not going to spend scare money on unnecessary filters.

Basement setup on the cheap:

The room:

Build your flowering room in a corner (save the cost of two walls= 50% off materials)

Drywall is cheap and adds some rigidity to the room, frame with 2x3 or 4s, 2' on center (drywall, studs & paint -$60)

Your door can be a simple opening with panda film & velcro (could do one wall with panda, reducing your cost even more)

use panda on ceiling, paint walls flat white or even coat w/panda.

Hydropnic setup- ebb/flow system for $50 plus hydroton= two plastic utility tubs from menards @ $12 ea (they are in the building materials section- used for mixing cement, etc, about 24x36 8" tall. One sits on top of the other using a couple slats of wood for support of the top container. Top unit is for hydroton & bottom is reservior, offset top 6" to give access to res. You can buy the drain & feed plumbing at any grow store for less than $10. pump= $14.95. cheap digi timer for irrigation= $7. PM and I'll send drawings or pics.

You can use the same setup with rockwool cubes & drip stakes, etc. Add a $7 fish aquarium pump to keep the res water movin' & oxygenated.

Exhaust: menards sells a 8" duct blower for less than $30. reduce to 4" and install a dryer vent or BETTER YET, connect duct to sewer vent for some serious stealth smell elimination -This is a proven setup and sends your exhaust into the sewer or out your roof vent mixed with sewer gas {nobody will ever small it!} just make sure all of the traps in your house work -they probably do or you would smell sewer gas now.

Lighting: I have some new 350/1000w Pulse-start MH/HPS ballasts for CHEAP (like $60), you will need a hood (or just hang a bulb from a socket, not efficient use of light but a lot of people do it)

Veg room: find an unused closet or a big cardboard box, CFL or shop-lights, etc. Could even look for plans for a DIY bubbler (of find a nice frind willing to hook you up with clones).

Buy some neutrients, PH & PPM meter, read a book (grow bible recommended), watch some videos -like that green guy above, ask for advice...

Your entire setup can be done for a few hundred dollars and a couple days of work. Try to maintain good temp for your plants -a cold basement is great because you don't need to run AC to cool the lights. If your room is sealed well you shouldn't have top worry about heating it -cold nights are OK -it gets down to 60 or lower at night in Afghanistan, where most of the indica breeds originally came from

There is absolutely no reason for anybody with any basic construction/mechanical ability to spend thousands of dollars on a small grow room! Stay away from those $400 digital ballasts -they may be a bit more efficient but are not repairable and will be in the trash before they begin to pay for themselves. Plus a lot of them cause interference with other electronics, cable TV, etc.

Also, nobody has mentioned what I consider to be one of the most basic parts of a grow room using HID lighting, a light controller. Those plug in timers are dangerous! Most grow room fires are caused by faulty electrical wiring or faulty use of timers extension cords & power-strips. Just because a wall-wart timer is rated for 15 amps does not mean you can run 15 amps of HID lighting off one (or even 9 amps). If you are running more than a single 400w lamp you need a good controller. For less than $100 you can buy a controller that will provide power for a few lights and fans -A little more will buy a controller to power everything in your room.

Good luck!

No smell ever from cc99 (I transfer clones), that's one less expense for carbon flters. As the only medium use over-wintered horse manure (there's no smell there either), and it needs only water (the nutes are in it naturally) and no mites (it naturally destroys the little buggers). Yipsilanti has it in pick-up loads, free. Smeel-free, and free medium, no miters or mold. Only the lights and clones cost, and mh is (used) $60 complete per 400, 600, or 1000 watt lamp. (MH can be used from clone thru floweering). For $60 and clones u can be set up for good yield!

Archived