Anti-Medical Cannabis, Who Would Think That?

wingnut

Here is the link to this page....My link

The anti-medical marijuana flyer being distributed at Wal-Mart by on duty Maui police

This letter to the editor was published in the The Maui News. If I was a tax paying citizen of Maui, I would be greatly disturbed that the Police Department was stationing an armed officer at Walmart to hand out anti marijuana pamphlets instead of being available for real police business.

maui-flyer.jpg The actual flyer, with the stapled-on opposition to pro-medical marijuana bills (click for full-size PDF, thanks to Brian Murphy for the scans)

I saw a Maui police officer at Walmart handing out pamphlets and asking people to speak out against certain medical marijuana bills currently under consideration.

This Maui County employee, using a Maui Police Department cruiser, wearing a gun under color of authority, was handing out pamphlets funded by federal block grants and nonprofits. They included a message from Chief Gary Yabuta claiming that marijuana is not medicine despite state law and medical reports recognizing that marijuana is a legitimate medicine.

Are Maui police officers allowed to use county or federal funds to spread misinformation to their financial advantage? Do we want to allow our Police Department to intimidate us into creating a police state?

If you have ever complained to a police officer about a law, you almost certainly heard the cliche that the police do not make the laws, they only enforce them. What do we do now that they are trying to influence bills that protect and serve only the police?

What is the real story here? Is it all about MPD trying to protect its funding at the expense of Maui’s medical community? Or is it about the millions of dollars in tax revenues that could save our schools and rescue our crippled economy?

We live in an ideal climate for cannabis cultivation, and that has given us this opportunity to create a model of both compassionate care and financial sustainability.

Brian J. Murphy

Paia

Here is the link to this page....My link

The anti-medical marijuana flyer being distributed at Wal-Mart by on duty Maui police

This letter to the editor was published in the The Maui News. If I was a tax paying citizen of Maui, I would be greatly disturbed that the Police Department was stationing an armed officer at Walmart to hand out anti marijuana pamphlets instead of being available for real police business.

maui-flyer.jpg The actual flyer, with the stapled-on opposition to pro-medical marijuana bills (click for full-size PDF, thanks to Brian Murphy for the scans)

I saw a Maui police officer at Walmart handing out pamphlets and asking people to speak out against certain medical marijuana bills currently under consideration.

This Maui County employee, using a Maui Police Department cruiser, wearing a gun under color of authority, was handing out pamphlets funded by federal block grants and nonprofits. They included a message from Chief Gary Yabuta claiming that marijuana is not medicine despite state law and medical reports recognizing that marijuana is a legitimate medicine.

Are Maui police officers allowed to use county or federal funds to spread misinformation to their financial advantage? Do we want to allow our Police Department to intimidate us into creating a police state?

If you have ever complained to a police officer about a law, you almost certainly heard the cliche that the police do not make the laws, they only enforce them. What do we do now that they are trying to influence bills that protect and serve only the police?

What is the real story here? Is it all about MPD trying to protect its funding at the expense of Maui’s medical community? Or is it about the millions of dollars in tax revenues that could save our schools and rescue our crippled economy?

We live in an ideal climate for cannabis cultivation, and that has given us this opportunity to create a model of both compassionate care and financial sustainability.

Brian J. Murphy

Paia

Not sure about Hawaii, but in my community we had PD & FD campaigning in their uniforms for certain political candidates. It was found that they could not do this in township time nor in their uniforms. This included the casual "golf" shirts with silk screened badges on them. The residents need to approach the city counsel and check if these guys were actually on duty. They may claim it was their lunch hour but they were still serving the residents in official capacity and in uniform.

Dizz

Archived