Good Ro System?

jeffanator

I use the liquid logic 100gal. a day. Brings my ppms from about 250 down to 40. My ebb and flow bucket system is supplied by two 55gal. reservoirs daisy chained together. I use to ro system to top off two separate drums with a float valve. This way I just switch over to the fresh reservoirs for res changes and always have fresh top off water.

i use this brand: http://www.4hydroponics.com/growroom/waterPurifiers2.asp?ItemNo=stealthRO100

http://www.4hydroponics.com/growroom/waterPurifiers2.asp?ItemNo=stealthRO200

i bought one of each size when i first moved to michigan almost a year ago. never a hiccup with either one. i have not changed out the filters and my water still reads 004ppm today.

not sure how familiar you are with r.o. filters, but i am assuming you aren't THAT familiar if you are asking :)

depending on how much water you will actually be using on a daily basis, you may want to spend the extra $10 and pick up a float valve: http://www.4hydroponics.com/hydroponics/pumps2.asp?ItemNo=pressureFloatValve

you can mount the valve inside anything you want. 10 gallon tote.... or a 30 gallon tote...... a 55 gallon drum...... or a city water tower.....

when your container is full, the float trips and the filter stops running.

it can be very time consuming and aggravating standing at your filter and waiting 15-20 minutes for a gallon of water to trickle out, but with the float set-up you can rig it up, go to bed, and wake in the a.m. with water ready and waiting for you.

I have been using the Stealth 100 same as bubblegrower. It brings my water from 450 PPM down to 15 PPM. I run it right off of my kitchen faucet. It is screw on and play right out of the box with a garden hose faucet. You will need a $1.50 adapter from the hardware store to run it on your kitchen faucet.

It's probably one of the best investments I have made. Just make sure you have a good PH and PPM/EC meter.

http://www.spectrapure.com/

Been using same unit, the 3stage MaxPure, for 3 years (obviously not the filters). Very satisfied. Tap water was as high as 155ppm, always comes out to 0ppm, even when the first filter looks nasty.

I remember loosing the o-ring, they sent me one for free.

155 PPM's is a nice starting point for any fertilizer mix, whatever gardening method is used. You have to bring your PPM's back to 125-150 with CalMag anyway. Unless a good portion of your PPM's consist of something other than Calcium Carbonate (i.e. Iron or another mineral), then you are just wasting money on replacing membranes, carbon and sediment filters, and extra CalMag.

R/O units are generally only used when your tap-water contains much more than 150 PPM's or needs some type of toxin removed, in which case a simple and cheaper carbon filter would do. I have to spend $80.00 on just a new membrane every few months. That doesn't include the other filters.

Some people like total control of their water, which isn't a bad thing. In no way am I saying your judgment or reasoning is wrong, as I don't know your situation, and every one differs. I am just making a general statement in case someone doesn't actually need one and is hedging on buying a unit when they can spend their money improving their grow area on something more useful to their situation.

I've never gotten equilibrium with tap water, I will never use it with my hydroponics.

That'd really suck if I had to change my RO filters that much...

It really sucks having to change the membrane and filters that often, but with my tap-water PPM's ranging from 450 -550, I don't have much of a choice. I'm hoping to get back to the city water fairly soon.

I would still use the unit for consistency sake like you said, even though I grow in soil. It's nice to know exactly what you have.

i know this is a late chime in.. but i can almost guarantee that there isn't a better r/o system than the filter guyz... it's a small company with high quality products.. they originally became huge due to reefers (saltwater reefers that is) because of the ability to almost always achieve 0ppm.... i have ran it on ann arbor city water... right now my ppms before entering my RO/DI system is 378.... it comes out at 0... and has for the 3 years i have owned their system and replaced the filters through them... If you are going to buy your system at their website it's a small price more to upgrade from a ro system to a RO/DI. Without getting into the science of it you are creating a much purer water that has very little contaminants ... but for a A grade quality system I would never recommend anything else... you pay like 169 for 3 stage r/o systems in some places which is really crap.. here’s their site http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm i run the 5 stage system that’s priced at 160.00... their ppm meter is a really good one too that measures your levels before it enters the system and after it exits...

i know this is a late chime in.. but i can almost guarantee that there isn't a better r/o system than the filter guyz... it's a small company with high quality products.. they originally became huge due to reefers (saltwater reefers that is) because of the ability to almost always achieve 0ppm....with their 5 stage system as wll as un-matched durability and plastic quality. i have ran it on ann arbor city water... right now my ppms before entering my RO/DI system is 378.... it comes out at 0... and has for the 3 years i have owned their system and replaced the filters through them... If you are going to buy your system at their website it's a small price more to upgrade from a ro system to a RO/DI. Without getting into the science of it you are creating a much purer water that has very little contaminants ... but for a A grade quality system I would never recommend anything else... you pay like 169 for 3 stage r/o systems in some places which is really crap.. here’s their site http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm i run the 5 stage system that’s priced at 160.00... their ppm meter is a really good one too that measures your levels before it enters the system and after it exits...