Dea Finally Admits Marijuana Is Medicine

http://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy/2011/mar/01/dea_finally_admits_marijuana_med

by Scott Morgan, March 01, 2011, 02:04am

Posted in: Medical Marijuana

If you thought they were going to issue a formal apology after decades of flagrant dishonesty, you would be mistaken. But the DEA is at long last conceding marijuana's incredible medical value…by giving pharmaceutical companies exclusive permission to make pills out of it.

"[M]arijuana has no scientifically proven medical value." So stated the United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) on page six of a July 2010 agency white paper, titled "DEA Position on Marijuana."

Yet only four months after the agency committed its "no medical pot" stance to print, it announced its intent to allow for the regulation and marketing of pharmaceutical products containing plant-derived THC -- the primary psychoactive ingredient in cannabis. (Alternet)

DEA can try to frame this any way they like, but the bottom line remains that authorizing cultivation for pharmaceutical companies is the end of the debate. Over. Done. Whatever nuanced distinctions the enemies of medical marijuana seek to advance from this point forward will be devastated by the simple fact that new medicines are being made out of marijuana with the blessing of the Drug Enforcement Administration.

Conspiracy theories will abound, of course, regarding the potential for a widespread campaign to shut down state-level medical marijuana programs and instead shove expensive pills down the throats of patients, while arresting providers and cultivators who refuse to comply. That isn't going to happen. As much as the DEA and their corporate co-conspirators might fantasize about it, a full-scale assault on the medical cannabis industry is simply impossible from both a practical and political standpoint. These laws were put in place by the people and they won't be done away with over our objections.

On the contrary, the emergence of cannabis-based pharmaceuticals has real potential to vest corporate interests with a stake in the drug's overall reputation. Rather than distancing themselves from the origins of their products, manufacturers of THC-based medications will recognize that associating their product with marijuana is in fact a shrewd marketing ploy. Marinol has already done exactly that. People love pot and that's going to be the key to selling these pills. As a result, we could soon be witnessing a seemingly impossible scenario in which pharmaceutical companies actually share our frustration when some drug war idiot comes along claiming THC causes schizophrenia.

Obviously, it's unlikely that our goals will ever align perfectly with those of the pharmaceutical industry, but they're clearly better at working with the DEA than we'll ever be. Rather than viewing the situation as a threat to our continued progress, I think we need to recognize that various forms of industrialization will be the inevitable result of our hard work to de-stigmatize the drug. As that process unfolds, we'll encounter numerous new and interesting opportunities to reframe the conversation about the dangers of marijuana. Even if this latest move by DEA is nothing more than a cynical attempt to thwart our progress somehow, I imagine it will backfire just as surely as every other tactic they've deployed in the drug war debate thus far.

if nothing i think it will help us in saying its truely helpful. the ability to confirm it with dea regulations should i think help us. i find it silly tho and you wont find me takeing any Thc pills.... you cant patent a plant so there is more than just Thc in them there pills.

My Opinion maybe somewhat cynical: How do you justify the Cost and Collateral Damage of their Precious War on 'Drugs'. How do you reconcile the damage done. To generations of Americans. Where do you start. How do you then turn it over to selected parties for their Commercialization. How can you justify this. This isn't about we the people, its about 'using' the people. All that was just about a giant Marketing Campaign? Except for the casualties, the Victims of this plague perpetuated on the good citizens of the USA by their entrusted Govt. I dont think this will appease the millions of Lives this has affected.

My Opinion maybe somewhat cynical: How do you justify the Cost and Collateral Damage of their Precious War on 'Drugs'. How do you reconcile the damage done. To generations of Americans. Where do you start. How do you then turn it over to selected parties for their Commercialization. How can you justify this. This isn't about we the people, its about 'using' the people. All that was just about a giant Marketing Campaign? Except for the casualties, the Victims of this plague perpetuated on the good citizens of the USA by their entrusted Govt. I dont think this will appease the millions of Lives this has affected.

How do you justify the Cost and Collateral Damage of their Precious War on 'Drugs'.

im sure they wont

How do you reconcile the damage done.

they arrested "criminals" not dieing people

How do you then turn it over to selected parties for their Commercialization. How can you justify this.

the fda knows whats good for you simple minded peasants so shut up

This isn't about we the people,

lol i think that died shortly after the founding fathers

I dont think this will appease the millions of Lives this has affected.

lol when have they Ever Cared about doing that?

they are a bunch of people who live in a completely diffrent world than us... They dont care

if nothing i think it will help us in saying its truely helpful. the ability to confirm it with dea regulations should i think help us. i find it silly tho and you wont find me takeing any Thc pills.... you cant patent a plant so there is more than just Thc in them there pills.

As a farmer I have to say that plants can be patented, Monsanto( Monsatan, IMHO)has many plant patents, as do other large agriculture corporations. Farmers have been routinely sued for having the patented plant genes in their fields, whether by pollen drift or not, not right, but it is happening.

As a farmer I have to say that plants can be patented, Monsanto( Monsatan, IMHO)has many plant patents, as do other large agriculture corporations. Farmers have been routinely sued for having the patented plant genes in their fields, whether by pollen drift or not, not right, but it is happening.

yes they sue them for haveing the genetically modified reserched and engenierd pest resistant versions of agricultural crops just like you cant patent a natural tomato you cant patent a natural cannabis thats why they started geneticaly modifying plants in the first place.. cus the law says you cant patent something you dident make So they make there own now

sause

http://www.free-legal-document.com/plant-patent.html

been there done it

Our 'government' is 'Big Business'... and 'Big Business' is our 'government.'

The 'politicians' we elect know that 'politics' is a 'money game'... and 'we the people' still have this notion that it is all about 'citizenship' and 'patriotism'... at least those of us that haven't figured it out yet.

But... I'll vote again in 2012... for better or worse and if for nothing else just to keep the b*astards guessing.

At least the work can now begin. Our medicine contains cures for some of the most horrific diseases known to man. It's palliative benefits are amazing. This could be the beginning of a medical revolution. I am grateful. Thanks, Bb

All we have are our hearts, minds and hands... and if we do not use them... WE are the guilty ones.

Thanks for your work, Bb... very much appreciated.

And thanks very much for the post, hofner.

It sure doesn't appease ME. Big pharma has been my mortal enemy for many years and I have seen their products seriously harm AND kill many people. It's all about PROFIT without Compassion. We all know the facts- we've seen the results. Since around the same time as the prohibition on mj began, so had the war on natural care. It's all part of a bigger war against The Peoples' RIGHT TO CHOOSE. It's all about control. Once I did have one of those pills, I don't know how my friend got ahold of one in the late 70's, she called it "synthetic THC." It was OK but it's not something I'd ever have again because I now KNOW some EVIL company made it, will charge a FORTUNE for, profiting on our suffering, just like they always do. They don't give a darn about us, and the sooner people realize that, the better. Oh how they make us think they care when some have some kind of help to pay for them. AAAWWW what a sucker some people are. If I ever had to depend on their drugs to sustain my life, I'd rather die without them. My life is a living hell and I will NEVER let them forget it. NOW, about the DEA, I bet they're "in bed" with the pharma companies. Some people just don't understand that no matter what they do, if someone wants something badly enough, they'll find a way to get it. People do NOT like being dictated to, but some just don't get it. I WISH they'd know HOW IT FEELS to be in our situation, living in poor health, very limited resources, constantly living in fear, trying to mange their health, trying to have a decent quality of life, being able to socialize and try to work, find love, be safe and happy, all the while struggling to PROTECT themselves, property, family, AND their medicine that they CHOOSE because it's the BEST thing they ever had! I wish they'd take the blinders off their eyes, along with the dollar signs, their hearts are plastered over with GREED and CONTEMPT. The DEA would ONLY concede Mj has value BECAUSE of big pharma, and, though it may help us because they may back down and it could end this war, too bad they couldn't do it for the RIGHT reasons. Way to go. Well we'll have to see how this plays out. They can have their pills, as long as we can have our plants. Is that fair enough? Now play fair, guys, or you'll hear from us AGAIN! Not One step backwards will we go! Do ya hear? WE WILL NOT GO BACK! Say it with me now...

Sb

So how can they do this and continue to keep it schedule I? I mean what more proof that it needs to be schedule II or III do you need? At this point it is just crystal clear it is about the money they make keeping it scheduled the way it is since they admit it now has medicinal value.

So how can they do this and continue to keep it schedule I? I mean what more proof that it needs to be schedule II or III do you need? At this point it is just crystal clear it is about the money they make keeping it scheduled the way it is since they admit it now has medicinal value.

At least we got our law in place where we can grow our own and have our own protections. Other people in other states won't be so fortunate.

Know anything about the Opium wars ? This was the beginning of the Pharmaceutical Industry.

While your Founding Fathers right hand was 'Colonizing' America, the left hand (East India Trading Co.) was tickling Chinas' Big Butt. Tryin to stir up chit. Certainley was a rude introduction to the ways of the West.

Still think that was Tea sitting in Boston Harbor ?

Know anything about the Opium wars ? This was the beginning of the Pharmaceutical Industry. Certainley was a rude introduction to the ways of the West.

While your Founding Fathers right hand was 'Colonizing' America, the left hand (East India Trading Co.) was tickling Chinas' Big Butt. Tryin to stir up chit.

Still think that was Tea sitting in Boston Harbor ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSm-l3Bo3Cw

Macartneys Mission, is the reference ?

edit 3:13 to 3:53 .... if they're Gray or if they're Blue ...

Archived