Jump to content

General Organics Nutes - Mold - Anyone Else?


upperline
 Share

Recommended Posts

So.... Yesterday when watering the girls, I opened my bottle of Diamond Black, which is their humic acid additive. When I took off the cap, there was what appeared to be mold around the rim of the bottle. It looked like someone took a piece of a cotton swab and swirled it around the inside of the bottle neck.

 

So I took the bottle in to my grow shop today, as I needed to pick up a few things. I asked the guy about it, and he said it was mold. He also said that he's had a few other people with the same complaint and that it's no big deal. He said because its organic, it is susceptible to those types of things. He said to just wipe it away and forgot about it.

 

Has anyone experienced mold (or anything similar) using organic fertilizers? It freaks me out, and I'm not cool with "just wiping away the mold" and then using that product to feed something that I will later ingest! For what it's worth, I've only had the bottle for 3 months and have stored it properly....

 

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Certain molds/fungi and bacteria are beneficial to plants. Take great white or mycomadness for example, these are both fungal supplements sold for horticulture. Considering that you will be feeding this to the rootzone of your plants I wouldn't worry about it and it might actually be beneficial. There are millions of spores floating in the air of your grow room, this mold isn't going to crawl up the plant and infect the leaves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been running General Organics for 6 months with no mold or other issues. I agree with stopgo 100% - it's going into your roots, so don't sweat it. I suppose I wouldn't use it for a foliar spray, but I don't think this line is made for that anyway.

 

Noctuanlreef, were you running soil or hydro with it? And what sort of deficiencies were you noting?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Any information on this product line would be much appreciated. I just started my first grow using the complete line of nutes. Looking good so far but only 4 days into veg. Must mention im growing 6 cheese from clone using happyfrog soil top dressed with earthworm castings in 5g smartpots lined with mollasses and coated with canesuger in a 4x8' tent with 2 1000w HPS and 840w of cfls. Anxious to see what the biothrive will do for me. Im also goin to add big up from humbolt. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen this happen in various nute's over the years, both organic and "chemicals". The bottle could have been inoculated at the factory or just the first time you opened the bottle (most grows are far from antiseptic). If you keep your bottles in a lightproof cabinet with screw caps tightly fastened you usually won't suffer this surprise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...