Police Cracking Down Too Hard On Medical Marijuana

Police cracking down too hard on medical marijuana

Published: Wednesday, March 02, 2011

By Ryan Richmond

Some kind of interesting times we live in, don’t you think?

Local governments are broke — state governments are broke — federal government is broke — banks are broke — the general population is broke.

The whole financial system is insolvent. Europe is getting dangerously close to a financial collapse. Yet we (and our elected officials) remain frozen while the “banksters” continue to manipulate the debit and credit system for their personal ends. Very, very scary times for those of us that make up the masses.

So what does that have to do with medical marijuana? A whole bunch. It’s a blueprint on how to stay in power — defend the status quo.

Statue quo is about continuing the benefits to those that have been rewarded in the past. Remember, this is an industry with suppliers and careers. That’s how old ideas keep making new money — don’t change a thing.

A researcher by the name of

Herbert L. Packer wrote Two Models of the Criminal Process. Done in 1968, his research found that the justice process has two models to choose from: The Crime Control Model or the Due Process Model. Guess what model the strong-armed-forces use. Guess what model they tell fifth-graders we have. Take a minute to educate yourself and watch a truly disturbing video with Bloomfield Township Supervisor Dave Payne and Police Caption Cook. The power that Captain Cook is taking and the power that Supervisor Payne is conceding is dazzling. http://vimeo.com/17408927. It’s like community leaders have forgotten how a democracy works.

While the big splash in the news is about dispensaries, the medical marijuana industry is about patients, growers, and caregivers. Dispensaries are just where buyers and sellers meet, like in a real marketplace. I can tell you first hand that I have experienced the terror unleashed by the Crime Control Model. Ask any patient, grower, or caregiver and they will tell you that they sleep with one eye open at night. Maybe they planted too many seeds in order to harvest 12 plants, or maybe they are concerned about one of their patients re-selling their product, or maybe they worry about the stigma that the status quo just doesn’t want to go away.

How are the strong-armed-forces handling change? More raids on medical marijuana dispensaries — more communities refusing to allow zoning — the Federal Government suing States for your private medical marijuana records — politicians failing to voice their support for the two-thirds majority in favor of medical marijuana. Very, very scary times for those of us in the business.

A criminologist wrote, “It all comes down to maintaining the status quo, i.e., maintaining power through the suppression of those that are easily marginalized.” Take warning patients, growers, caregivers, dispensaries, voters — the status quo will have none of that.

Get unfrozen. It’s your duty in a democracy.

Ryan Richmond of Ferndale is a venture capitalist, commercial real estate professional and a board member of the Marijuana Patients Organization (marijuanapatients.org).

Comments

The following are comments from the readers. In no way do they represent the view of The Oakland Press or theoaklandpress.com.

Jim wrote on Mar 2, 2011 9:48 PM:

" Agreed. "

craven wrote on Mar 2, 2011 11:42 PM:

" Imagine that, a pothead defending the pot machine. "

rob neighborhood wrote on Mar 3, 2011 6:33 AM:

" Unfortunately for the pot heads any competent chemist can tell you marijuana is a debilitating poison. Cannibis stays in the human body for many weeks at the smallest dose and works very effectively on the psyche. In our country, even though a state initiative has been passed to help sick individuals, the 'legalize pot' crowd is using those truly ill to capitalize on peddling poison. Consider these things, established medical facts before getting on the pot bandwagon. We have plenty of legal social degradations like alcohol, tobacco and gambling, do we really need another? In our current climate, I think not. "

thoughtful blogger wrote on Mar 3, 2011 7:52 AM:

" You cannot legislate morality!!!!! "

Freeman wrote on Mar 3, 2011 8:04 AM:

" Gee whiz rob, you suppose that authoritative report was written by a pharmaceutical company chemist? Please, provide us a link so we can all share in your new found knowledge.

Or don't. One question to ask yourself: Why are the pharmaceutical makers working so hard to synthesize the active components in marijuana? Because they know it's not poison, they know the medicinal value of the plant and they fully understand where their profits are derived.

craven,

The medical marijuana industry in this state had an economic impact of $600M last year. To put that into perspective, the film industry, with backing from Hollywood, had an economic impact of $263M last year. Understand that the value of the marijuana industry does not include the value of any medicine trading hands, it is strictly limited to the commerce associated with the business. "

Jim wrote on Mar 3, 2011 8:27 AM:

" I've said it before and I'll say it again:

It never ceases to amaze me the hypocrisy shown by the "small government" conservatives when it comes to marijuana. They always want big government when it suits them. "

craven wrote on Mar 3, 2011 9:47 AM:

" Jim, this is not a small government vs. big government issue. It is about something called the law. Which you seem to want to selectively enforce.

The medical marijuana cause has been hijacked by the completely legalize marijuana crowd. These people care nothing about the people who are supposed to be helped by marijuana, and want society to "leave us alone and let us get high."

They are trying to capitalize on a poorly crafted piece of legislation - the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act - to do anything they want. It seems that in some areas of the state, it worked. In others, including Oakland County, the intentionally obfuscation in the wording of the act is working against them.

Once the legislature clears up this mess so it is perfectly understandable, workable, and eliminates the fraud I will support it.

The voters - me included - intended for genuinely sick people to be able to use marijuana. Lets hope that the sick are able to do so, instead of the potheads ruining it for all. "

Dr. Leo Marvin wrote on Mar 3, 2011 10:05 AM:

" Oakland County's Three Stooges are out in full force this morning!

Hello Craven & rob neighborhood!

Where's Big Boss and Big Al?

LMAO!

More propaganda with no facts to support it from the reefer madness patrol!

Kudos to Jim, Thoughtful Blogger, and Freeman for having the courage to stand up to the nazi & gestapo who still try and rule this county as if there wasn't a medical marijuana law ALREADY on the books - they simply don't like it because if they actually FOLLOWED THE LAW, it would cut into their precious cash cow machine.

If..........The Three Stooges actually held a news conference and said the current medical marijuana law is cutting into their precious "nazi and gestapo budget" I would garner some new found respect for them...but, they are hypocrites so they don't.

Why is it that Beth Hand is trying to stop the Waterford defendants from having a jury trial?

Anyone?

It's because she and The Three Stooges know that no jury is going to convict them of ANYTHING!

Put that in your pipe and smoke on that craven!

LMAO!

The doctor is in today....all day!

Dr. Leo Marvin - retired

81 years young

DON'T HASSLE ME I'M LOCAL "

Jim wrote on Mar 3, 2011 10:24 AM:

" "Jim, this is not a small government vs. big government issue. It is about something called the law."

Yeah, and the law is created by.....the government!

You can spin this however you want, but you're supporting "big government" when it suits your interests. "

craven wrote on Mar 3, 2011 10:39 AM:

" Sorry Leo, I don't smoke. I don't vaporize to try and make it sound better either.

And Jim, I guess you prefer anarchy? "

Dr. Leo Marvin wrote on Mar 3, 2011 11:00 AM:

" When I said "put that in your pipe and smoke it"...was a politically correct way of telling you to shove it up your azz!

LMAO!

Craven gets paid for his mis-guided and fear-mongering jibberish....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Lots of love...as always,

Dr. Leo Marvin - retired

81 years young

DON'T HASSLE ME I'M LOCAL "

______________________________________________________________________________________

Have a great day,

Mizerman

bump-those neo-cons have no defense that makes sense-and let people use it if they want to get high! because a glass of wine and a beer and a shot have killed hundreds of thousands thru the years-so has tobacco road but has MJ??????????? safer than aspirin tylenol ibuprofen!

THC CURES CANCER!

more government when its good for you and your constituents(RICH WHITE PREJUDICED) view! its the Minority view!

the majority have spoken-do the will of the people-yes everyone protected under the 2008 law-and very well! if you FOLLOW THE INTENT OF ITS FRAMERS you would all be in jail for harassment contempt of court etc etc

you are scared of change yes we know,you dont want to see productivity drop from people slowing down-your stocks would tank your millions vanished-yep you are scared

leave us alone!-and remember we mow your lawns, fix your plumbing, roof your houses, fix your autos, cook for you,serve you food and change your diapers! we are everywhere! and we KNOW WHERE YOU ALL ARE when it comes time little brother is watching back------

LUCKY FOR YOU, US*** POTHEADS*** ARE MOSTLY PEACEFUL and have put up with your 80 year terrorizing drug war for too long

we are coming for our country back-you have been warned

bump-those neo-cons have no defense that makes sense-and let people use it if they want to get high! because a glass of wine and a beer and a shot have killed hundreds of thousands thru the years-so has tobacco road but has MJ??????????? safer than aspirin tylenol ibuprofen!

THC CURES CANCER!

more government when its good for you and your constituents(RICH WHITE PREJUDICED) view! its the Minority view!

the majority have spoken-do the will of the people-yes everyone protected under the 2008 law-and very well! if you FOLLOW THE INTENT OF ITS FRAMERS you would all be in jail for harassment contempt of court etc etc

you are scared of change yes we know,you dont want to see productivity drop from people slowing down-your stocks would tank your millions vanished-yep you are scared

leave us alone!-and remember we mow your lawns, fix your plumbing, roof your houses, fix your autos, cook for you,serve you food and change your diapers! we are everywhere! and we KNOW WHERE YOU ALL ARE when it comes time little brother is watching back------

LUCKY FOR YOU, US*** POTHEADS*** ARE MOSTLY PEACEFUL and have put up with your 80 year terrorizing drug war for too long

we are coming for our country back-you have been warned

IM SPEACHLESS! :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: Glad i already friended ya!

Peace,,,,,,so well written kudos angry liberal!

I find it curious. I registered for the OP site to post a comment. I've tried on 3 separate occasions from 3 different computers to try and post my reply to the article. No cursing, no links, no personal attacks, no threats...(those of you who have seen my posts here hopefully know that I'm not a bombastic poster.) Each time my comment was removed within minutes.

Now hows THAT for balanced journalism.:thumbsd:

Archived