Bamboo Stakes

Tweeks

Hey Fellow Growers,

I have had this problem for years and I guess of all problems to have when growing this is the problem to have, to big of flowers. My question is though I am six weeks into flowering and I have always wondered can I put 4' bamboo stakes into the soil now to help my ever so leaning plants instead of trying to tie them up? My fear for years has always been that I am going to do damage to the roots so I never have used stakes and I end up in the room for hours trying to tie some crazy knots to the lights, the buckets, or anything to keep these plants standing.

If it is OK to put these stakes into the soil is preferable to do away from the stalk? To do it shallow? Help with as many details as possible. I am a very anal grower and would hate to screw this up six weeks in.

Smoke up Johnny!!

Hey Fellow Growers,

I have had this problem for years and I guess of all problems to have when growing this is the problem to have, to big of flowers. My question is though I am six weeks into flowering and I have always wondered can I put 4' bamboo stakes into the soil now to help my ever so leaning plants instead of trying to tie them up? My fear for years has always been that I am going to do damage to the roots so I never have used stakes and I end up in the room for hours trying to tie some crazy knots to the lights, the buckets, or anything to keep these plants standing.

If it is OK to put these stakes into the soil is preferable to do away from the stalk? To do it shallow? Help with as many details as possible. I am a very anal grower and would hate to screw this up six weeks in.

Smoke up Johnny!!

if you are worried about it then put the stakes around the pot that is what i do sometimes but sometimes i put them right inn but put a point on the stake be for putting them inn the soil

Hey Fellow Growers,

Smoke up Johnny!!

I don't grow in dirt, but I could suggest you put the bamboo in the soil early on. How about putting it in there early on in Veg as not to destroy roots, so it's there for ya in flower.....

That would be my guess...

I grow in Smart Pots , using Pro Mix ...

and i use bamboo stakes all the time ...

Never has hurt mine ...

That Im aware of or see w/ my eyes ...

It does'nt matter to me ...

I do it in Veg ...

I do it in Bloom ...

When ever it is needed ...

I use it alot to spread my Girls so i can give

them more light in the middle and seems to help w/ yield ... :thumbsu:

Just my Oppion ... and experience ....

I find them almost impossible to kill ...

They seem to take anything i do to them ...

My Girls Love me and I love them ...

Ive been told their just a weed ...

Yeah, I use the bamboo also. Some plants require several to keep em up, I add em as I need em, never hurt a thing. Just be gentle and put smaller end down and make sure there is no burrs on the side thats goin in the dirt, and push her all the way down. Use it as a growth measuring point, if any roots get ripped that will inspire new root growth. :thumbsu:

• 2 weeks later...

Some use tomato cages stuck in the pots, that seems to work OK. But you should not have a problem sticking a stick in your pot once in a while, our roots get pruned all the time after all.

You can improve stem strength by using a fan, you don't see a lot of outdoor plants propped up do you? By providing a little silica, and by having nice roots in the first place. (bigger pot, compost?) Then if it continues to be a concern there's always scrog growing. But, yup, not a bad problem.....shredder

The roots love getting skewered. I now use the hollow metal green stakes, vinyl coated as bamboo rots after a few cycles, is difficult to disinfect, carries disease, mold, insect eggs. Just asking for trouble reusing bamboo but not so with the (cleaned up) metal/vinyl stakes. Ram in the blunt end or sharpen on a grinding wheel, never seen any damage or wilting or ill effect. Easiest to tie to when jammed down right next to main stem, and when roots are examined after plant has been chopped and pot dismembered, there's no physical sign of any problem.

• 10 years later...
On 3/16/2011 at 9:51 PM, Tweeks said:

Hey Fellow Growers,

Smoke up Johnny!!

Thank you

6 hours ago, Kingdiamond said:

What type of LED lamps are you using Ron?

I was a HPS/MH guy for years, and decided to upgrade to the LEDs about a year and a half ago. I use "China" lights...lol For veg I run three 300 watt Bloom Plus 3000s. And two 8 bulb HO T5s in an 8x8 veg area.

https://www.amazon.com/Grow-Light-BP-3000-Commercial-Greenhouse/dp/B082XY8B75?pd_rd_w=UUUDf&pf_rd_p=ba22ea03-d3c1-4ebb-8d3e-472aa0cf3b30&pf_rd_r=CVGC21MT8JBRQ2EYM8SK&pd_rd_r=021e7823-3df6-404e-bd06-5ac81163a395&pd_rd_wg=FVB6E&pd_rd_i=B082XY8B75&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_10_t

https://www.amazon.com/DoubleLux-DL8048-Flourescent-System-included/dp/B019IMM7VK?pd_rd_w=JE9LU&pf_rd_p=ba22ea03-d3c1-4ebb-8d3e-472aa0cf3b30&pf_rd_r=NZ0V6RWQS2WYJAQ3BTQ6&pd_rd_r=da679ac2-5b0d-4e07-9618-d631d3e36d0c&pd_rd_wg=3RrTb&pd_rd_i=B019IMM7VK&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_20_t

These lights are cheap and efficient. The BP 3000s are little beast! I replaced 600watt MH bulbs with these lights and they out grow the Metal Halide bulbs with half the electricity used.

IMG_0114.thumb.jpg.b628ed6260343742925239f28095e063.jpgIMG_0115.thumb.jpg.79b5267c63d18d59d2beae3f2c3d6f32.jpgIMG_0118.thumb.jpg.5f232172be00819a8629bc9e90a6dbd4.jpg

You cant really tell from the pictures but with the BP3000 those plants will fill that area completely in a few weeks. They really veg nice and produce nice plants with tight internodal spacing. Good lights for a great price. I started with one and have three now!

For flower I use four Meijiu 650watt light bars from Alibaba in two 5x5 tents...I have one A8 version and three F8 plus versions.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Meijiu-A8-650W-Spectrum-Samsung-Lm301b_62460307490.html?spm=a2756.order-detail-ta-ta-b.0.0.34d22fc2hppQ0R

I paid like $650 each for these lights shipped to my home and can honestly say they are worth every penny and pay for themselves in just one harvest. They produce right around 24-30 ounces per light every ten weeks. (Strain Dependent.) And the flowers are always dense, trichome covered with great terpene production! I worried about these things before I upgraded but can say these lights out flower the old 1000 watt HPS bulbs I was using. Good investments.

1866864967_IMG_28491.thumb.JPG.547b078c4fb0efe061cab91b26239098.JPG1533011494_IMG_28611.thumb.JPG.1f04d8706afac885ec256c2912bb287d.JPG