Are Dispensary Days Numbered?

Brad

Do we need dispensaries in Michigan?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do patients need dispensaries to ensure they have an uninterrupted supply of medicine?

After the feds raided at least 10 medical marijuana shops across Montana yesterday, KTVQ in Billings interviewed former U.S. Attorney Bill Mercer, who said, among other things, that the raids, while invoked by federal law, probably targeted dispensaries that violated state law, too. Here's the video:

http://missoulanews.bigskypress.com/IndyBlog/archives/2011/03/15/former-us-attorney-bill-mercer-discusses-medical-marijuana-raids

If state law does not contain specific dispensary-enabling language, the FEDs will target the dispensaries in that state. Michigan dispensary owners take note!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the feds raided at least 10 medical marijuana shops across Montana yesterday, KTVQ in Billings interviewed former U.S. Attorney Bill Mercer, who said, among other things, that the raids, while invoked by federal law, probably targeted dispensaries that violated state law, too. Here's the video:

http://missoulanews....marijuana-raids

If state law does not contain specific dispensary-enabling language, the FEDs will target the dispensaries in that state. Michigan dispensary owners take note!

Thats right i feel the same way i know a lot of the owners and for the most part i do call them my friend it is only a matter of time is what i tell them but they feel they are doing what they do because of the people that need it and i understand that but the judge wont

i know first hand what it's like to be inn court will never forget that day when you and Steve and Pb came over the day after are raid and helped us out Thank you

Torey is still stressed out because of the raid i was thinking are case would be easy NOT! some people don't understand until it happens to them

it's coming you can bet on that and the people will be in deep trouble and i will be their at the court house for support you can also bet on that

I guess the people voting "yes" have had some crappy CG's....

Not what this "yes" vote was thinking. I know that for a lot of folks out there who could benefit from MM, well run storefront dispensaries are the only option. I think about my grandparents who knew nothing about marijuana. They've passed, but if they had a doctor recommend them MM, they wouldn't have any clue where to even start looking aside from a dispensary.

Yes, patient/caregiver system works for many, but not all.

Though crappy caregivers are not hard to come by, choice is a my main reason. There reason we are having all these problems in the first place is because of those who think they need to make the choices for us on how to treat or medical needs. To not be hypocritical, I extend that choice to my own community too.

Also, some caregivers offer free meds to patients by vending to dispensaries. Nice option to have that directly benefits the needy.

I guess the people voting "yes" have had some crappy CG's....

not me i have never had one but would like to have a good one it sure would make it easier to have a CG but then what would happen to the overages

i mean most people that are sick don't have much $$ and the CG would not make too much money and the Law says we are not suppose to make money just for your time and cost

IF dispensaries were written into the law, were properly regulated and properly run, I'd say OK, that way, the overages could go there, though I'd really like to see the overages go to make the Simpson Oil for cancer patients. There should be someone who handles that who will ensure they go for that purpose. I'm sure the CC's could've handled this, but now that CC's are supposedly illegal, thanks to someone who dreamed up some delusional idea that there's "marijuana bars" at CC's, people will have to be creative in how they handle this. My main concern is for the patients who really need it, that they are assured of a safe supply of top quality meds at little to no cost, which will be a consistent supply.

Sb

Or have money to spend on top prices. That tells me CG's need to raise the prices. If 60% think thats ok for disp then its fair for CG's. I guess I was confused...

Retail theory.

All caregivers can get compensated for their meds at $150-$300 an oz. They supply dispensaries, or at least they should. If the the dispensary receives the great price of $150 they must sell that oz $360 to get the average retail margin of 58%. If it is top shelf stuff that the caregiver wants $240 an oz for it must be sold at $576 to keep the average 58% margin. This is how all your stores work. From Ace hardware to miejer.

http://www.retail-co...mulas-Guide.php

I really do not like paying mark up on my food, but if I did not Kroger would not exist. I would love to grow my own food, but it not an option for me.

Edit: Sorry Willy: I did not mean to reply to your post, it was more as an explanation of why I voted yes. I think I have spent too much time posting today;)

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

It's not really dispensary prices that are the problem. Nor was that the question.

Do patients need dispensaries to ensure they have an uninterrupted supply of medicine?

And the answer is no, not if you have a CG worth a power blown ta heck.

Ive been actively growing since just after the law took hold. I didn't start out with 5 patients so my op grew as my patient list expanded. During this time I also learned how to keep myself within limits. I came to know how much I was getting from what strain, and would constantly adjust the number of plants, or my veg time (smaller and larger plants) for the plants I would place in flowering as my needs for a strain rose and fell.

I admit that when I started. I had overages. I was new and for lack of a better word, a noob. But I haven't had "overages" in a long time. If I know im about at my limit and know I have to harvest, I've not had a problem finding a needy person on this forum to PM and say "If you got a card, I have an ounce of free meds with your name on it if you'll do the traveling.."

What overages to sell? And why would you? Are you truely aware of where that dispensary originated? Is your 200$ now going to bite you in the rear later when the money helps fuel legislation to impose inspections and licensing? Why would anyone in their right mind do it but for greed?

I get why they charge what they do. They have cost most of us do not. I don't agree with $350+ an oz, but I get it. In my world there's just nothing a disp can offer that I can't. From the mouths of my patients, as well as those I've helped with free meds, my quality surpasses theirs. So why wouldn't I encourage a patient to go to a place where the meds could be better and cheaper?

So again.....

Do patients need dispensaries to ensure they have an uninterrupted supply of medicine?

Not at all. Just need a good honest CG.

The question wasn't : Do dispensaries provide an outlet for noob or greedy growers to handle their overages or sales?

If anything...we've been chatting about this- I'd like to see a MMMA CG certification. I wouldn't allow the law in my house without more rounds of ammunition then I have, but I'd love a registry of CG checked out by the MMMA that would help tell new people: "This is a Pretty good CG, and we've seen his environment for your babies and he's allowed to advertise here", and if this CG screws ya, he/she is removed from our program which will hurt them far worse in the long run. Then get it through peoples heads not to get their CG off Craigs Lust....erm..List

Thats right i feel the same way i know a lot of the owners and for the most part i do call them my friend it is only a matter of time is what i tell them but they feel they are doing what they do because of the people that need it and i understand that but the judge wont

i know first hand what it's like to be inn court will never forget that day when you and Steve and Pb came over the day after are raid and helped us out Thank you

Torey is still stressed out because of the raid i was thinking are case would be easy NOT! some people don't understand until it happens to them

it's coming you can bet on that and the people will be in deep trouble and i will be their at the court house for support you can also bet on that

With all due respect, gotta call BS on that one. They are doing it for MONEY! If they cared about people they would teach people to grow. It's not rocket science.

Interesting how split the community is on this issue. What are the reasons people think they are necessary?

i think it stared at the begging of of the Law when we all got cards back on 09 people wanted to get Meds and thats when they opened up because CG were not ready yet and people wanted Medical Grade IMO

i think it stared at the begging of of the Law when we all got cards back on 09 people wanted to get Meds and thats when they opened up because CG went ready yet and people wanted Medical Grade IMO

Are clubs not filling the gaps of matching patients with caregivers/patients who have extra meds?

I have talked to many of the owners around MI and the one thing that really strikes me is their lack of information on the law. Some are very sharp but others I have met dont have a clue. One told me "we voted for this"...really?? I dont care either way at this point. But I shure as heii would do some research before opening one. IMHO

Here's more from the present U.S. Prosecutor from the 9th District.....

http://www.csindy.com/IndyBlog/archives/2011/03/17/feds-say-medical-marijuana-is-as-illegal-as-ever&show=comments

I hope I'm wrong but it looks like dispensaries here have a rough road ahead.

In a related story, Montana advocates rally in support of dispensaries.....

http://the420times.com/2011/03/montana-medical-marijuana-rally-planned-for-saturday/

It just seems to me that this level of commercialization of medical marijuana will always have dispensaries lobbying to maximize their profits. Corporations will always put profits first. That is what is wrong with health care in this country and what will be wrong with medical marijuana if we let it.

Retail theory.

All caregivers can get compensated for their meds at $150-$300 an oz. They supply dispensaries, or at least they should. If the the dispensary receives the great price of $150 they must sell that oz $360 to get the average retail margin of 58%. If it is top shelf stuff that the caregiver wants $240 an oz for it must be sold at $576 to keep the average 58% margin. This is how all your stores work. From Ace hardware to miejer.

http://www.retail-co...mulas-Guide.php

I really do not like paying mark up on my food, but if I did not Kroger would not exist. I would love to grow my own food, but it not an option for me.

Edit: Sorry Willy: I did not mean to reply to your post, it was more as an explanation of why I voted yes. I think I have spent too much time posting today;)

I couldn't get your link to work, curious enough about your resources though.

In my book you get an oz for 150 then off it for 360 is 240% interest ! Same with the 240 z goes for 574 !

Thinking about opening a dispensary are you ? 150 + 58% = $237 ; 240 + 58% = $379.20 Typical retail is 40 - 50 %

Dispensaries have a PR nightmare on their hands. Many chose to circumvent the pt/cg system. Yet others chose to trade pt rights for enhanced rights for themselves. The push ahead at all costs mentality has cost them a ton of support. I participated in an email debate today where this community was the focal point of trash talk by dispensary owners. Merchants need to be merchants. Had it stayed that way in this state, the government would be afraid to raid them, because of the support that they would have in our community. This community was first on the ground in Oakland County and demanded that violence not be used in raids and demanded that the raids stop. Others seized on that unfortunate event to abuse patients and advance a political agenda.

Is there hope for them to save themselves? I don't know. They are still trying the same failed tactics, over and over. I hate to see anyone get arrested. I hope they recover their senses and see the futility of giving concessions to the government. They should be seeking the support of the community. We just stopped/slowed SB17. That should tell them something. Thanks Brad for your post! Bb

Blinded by greed they're willing to turn their collectives back on patients and caregivers alike with-out a second thought to either.

Farmers Markets are the way to go IMO. The ones I've read up on and been to are all heavily patient oriented and donations asked are no where near stand alone dispensaries and yet vendors have no complaints and return to the next ones.

They had all types of events and entertainment at the one we attended last fall it resemble a county fair and the atmosphere felt that way for sure. cooking demonstrations, growing techniques, had one with cannabis and other vegetables growing together, and so on, it was a great time.

And they take care of low income patients like dispensary never would and thats through medicinal quality cannabis specifically grown for those patients and caregiver and patient overages.

Ed

Here's more from the present U.S. Prosecutor from the 9th District.....

http://www.csindy.com/IndyBlog/archives/2011/03/17/feds-say-medical-marijuana-is-as-illegal-as-ever&show=comments

1300395550wikileakshold.jpg

U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag.......

..... looks like she knows about taking medicine

pharm5.jpg

Archived