Simpson Oil

Caution:

Oils that drug dealers sell can have many contaminants and often little or no THC. From my experience, most hemp oil available on the street should be avoided for medicinal use. Make your own oil or have someone you trust produce the oil to assure a very pure, high quality oil is produced.

How much to make and take?

One pound (500g) of bone-dry hemp buds will usually produce about 2 ounces (55 - 60 mL) of high-grade oil. This amount of oil will cure most serious cancers; the average person can ingest this amount in about three months. This oil is very potent so one must begin treatment with small doses. A drop of oil about half the size of a grain of rice, two to four times a day is a good beginning. After four or five days, start increasing your daily dosage very gradually. As time goes on the body builds a tolerance to the oil and more and more can be taken. In cases where people are in a great deal of pain, I recommend that their dosage be quickly increased until it kills the pain. High quality hemp oil will stop pain even when morphine is not effective. The oil can be applied to external injuries for pain relief in minutes.

Will I get high?

Following the dosage previously described, many people can take the full treatment and never get high. In regards to hemp, getting "high" is a joke, even if a person does take too much oil the effect wears off quickly and no harm is done. No one has ever died from the use of hemp medicine.

Will I become addicted?

Hemp oil does not cause your body to crave more. It is non-addictive, harmless and effective for practically any medical condition.

Is this the same as hemp seed oil?

No! This is hemp oil, made from the bud and small leaves of the hemp plant. It is the essential oil of the hemp plant. Health food store sells oil made from hemp seed that is often mislabeled as hemp oil. Although seed oil is very beneficial, it does not contain enough THC to have any effect on cancer and other serious illnesses.

Are hemp and marijuana the same?

The word marijuana is one of over four hundred slang terms used worldwide to describe the cannabis and/or hemp plant.

Are all hemp plants the same?

When buying or growing hemp, procure a strain that has the highest possible THC content. To energize someone suffering from depression, I recommend a good Sativa strain. For most other medical conditions, I strongly suggest that Indica strains be used. Indicas relax a person and provide them with more rest and sleep.

How do I use it?

High quality hemp oil can be vapourized, ingested or used topically. Add the oil to creams and salves for external use.

Where can I get information about making the oil?

The process in the video could only be described as crude at best, but the oil that is produced will cure cancer. In reality, this medicine should be produced in a controlled environment, using distilling equipment, etc. to reclaim the solvent and to purify the oil. Most people do not understand distilling and do not have access to the required equipment. This is the reason such a simple method is descried in the documentary, so if need be just about anyone can produce the oil. As in the video, again we stress that this process, if not done properly can be dangerous and we bear no responsibility if this educational information is misused.

Rick Simpsons process of making hemp oil

Starting material:

I generally work with a pound or more of good grade hemp starting material. You can use just one ounce. An ounce will usually produce 3 or 4 grams of oil. The amount of oil produced per ounce of hemp will vary from strain to strain, but it all has that wonderful healing power.

1 - Place the completely dry starting material in a plastic bucket.

2 - Dampen the material with the solvent you are using. Many solvents can be used. I like to use pure naphtha but it costs $500 for a 45-gallon drum. You can use 99% isopropyl alcohol, which you can find in your local drug stores. Alcohol absorbs more chlorophyll from the plant material than naphtha does. This gives oils made with alcohol a darker colour but does not diminish the potency of the oil to any noticeable degree. Ether, naphtha or butane and many other solvents can produce oils that are amber and transparent. Granted these clear oils do look better but dark oil can be just as potent. If the process is done properly, little or no solvent residue is left in the oil. I have been consuming oils produced using different solvents for eight years with no harmful effects. You will require about two gallons of solvent to strip the THC off one pound of dry starting material. 500 milliliters of solvent should be more than enough to strip the THC from one ounce of hemp starting material.

3 - Crush the plant material using a stick of clean untreated (chemical free) wood or some such device. Even though the starting material has been dampened with the solvent, you will find that the material can be readily crushed.

4 - Add solvent until the starting material is completely covered.

Use the stick to work the plant material. As you are doing this, the THC dissolves off the plant material into the solvent.

5 - Continue this process for about 3 minutes.

6 - Pour the solvent-oil mix off the plant material into another bucket. You have just stripped the plant material of about 80% of its THC.

7 - Second wash - again add solvent to the plant material and work it for another 3 minutes to get the other 20%.

8 - Pour this solvent-oil mix into the bucket containing the first mix that was poured off previously.

9 - Discard the twice-washed plant material.

10- Pour the solvent-oil mix through a coffee filter into a clean container.

11- Boil the solvent off. I have found that a rice cooker will do this boil off very nicely. The one I have has two heat settings - high and low - and will hold over a half gallon (2.5 liters) of solvent-oil mix.

12- Add solvent-oil mix to the rice cooker until it is about ¾ full.

Make sure you are in a very well ventilated area and set up a fan to carry the solvent fumes away. The fumes are very flammable. Be sure to stay away from red-hot elements, sparks, cigarettes etc. that could ignite the fumes.

13- Plug the rice cooker in and set it on high heat.

14- Continue adding solvent-oil mix as the level in the rice cooker decreases until it is all in the cooker.

15- Add a few drops of water to the solvent-oil mix as the level comes down for the last time. The amount of water added depends on how much starting material you had in the beginning. If I am producing oil from a pound of good bud, I usually add about ten drops of water.

16- When there is about one inch of solvent-oil-water mix left in the cooker, put on your oven mitts, pick the unit up and gently swirl the contents.

17- Continue swirling until the solvent has been evaporated off. The few drops of water help release the solvent residue and protect the oil somewhat from too much heat. When the solvent has been boiled off, the cooker that I use automatically goes to low heat. This avoids any danger of overheating the oil. At no time should the temperature of the oil go over 290F degrees (140 C).

18- Put on your oven mitts and remove the pot containing the oil from the rice cooker.

19- Gently pour the oil into a small stainless steel container.

20- Place this container in a dehydrator or put in on a gentle heating device such as a coffee warmer. It may take a few hours but the water and volatile turpines will be evaporated from the oil. When there is no longer any activity on the surface of the oil the medicine is ready for use.

21- Pour the hot oil into a bottle; or as in the video suck it up into a plastic syringe. Putting the oil in a plastic syringe makes it very easy to dispense the medicine.

When the oil cools off it has the consistency of thick grease. Some strains will produce very thick oil and you may have trouble squeezing it out of the syringe. If this happens, place the syringe in warm water a few minutes prior to use.

To anyone starting to use hemp oil as a medication, here are some simple facts.

Hemp oil will lower blood pressure and if you are on blood pressure medication, you may find that this medication is no longer needed. The same is true for diabetics. I have seen hemp oil control blood sugar to the extent that insulin was no longer needed.

I am not a doctor and I do not have the right to tell people what they should do. Personally, I would not consider taking any cancer treatments currently in use by our medical system, I do not recommend that hemp oil be taken along with chemotherapy. What would be the sense of making your own cure and then allowing the medical system to give you massive doses of poison?

From my experience with hemp medicine, I have found that most pharmaceutical medications are no longer needed once a person starts using hemp oil. Hemp oil seems to mix well with most natural medications but I have had a few reports from people trying to take hemp oil and pharmaceuticals who experienced stomach pain etc. All problems ceased when they stopped taking the prescription drugs.

To anyone who is going to act on this information to help a loved one, I welcome you to the world of real medicine. Again, I caution you to be very careful when boiling the solvent off. The fumes are very flammable. Be sure to stay away from red-hot elements, sparks, cigarettes etc. that could ignite the fumes.

I wish you the best luck and health.

Warmest regards,

Rick Simpson.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey GG,

"Keep us updated on how the oil continues to help you, I am very interested to hear of the results.

Just curious, what is the color of your oil? More black or a bit lighter, almost amber? If you have had both, do you have a preference?"

I prefer the dark oil, and I've had both. The light oil tastes a little better, but the extraction method is more involved, and I prefer an easier process. The potency/effectiveness is the same, as far as I can tell. So, easier is better for me, cause I process a lot for myself. I never want to run out. The taste doesn't matter to me, because the results are soooooo good, I'd eat it if it tasted like dog dooty.

This is REAL! In alternative health, we hear of many things, but this is the real deal. My health is dramatically better because of the Simpson oil.

Keep up the good fight growgoddess!!!!

Bud

• 2 weeks later...

I will be cutting down a couple plants in another month or so. How bud weight would I need to make some oil? Would it be a problem to mix a Sativa with an indica dominate strain?

That would be a darn fine idea, mix 'em. If you have the time and material, make two batches separately. You can test the different effects, then mix them and see the difference...

I will be cutting down a couple plants in another month or so. How bud weight would I need to make some oil? Would it be a problem to mix a Sativa with an indica dominate strain?

Make sure they are dry before you do it. What you want to do is dissolve the THC and not the chlorophyll. That's why Rick uses naptha or ether, they don't get as much plant material in them so the taste is a bit better, however also a bit more dangerous.

Mixing shouldn't be a problem at all. It would be like mixing them in a grinder then cooking with it. You get the pallative effects from both that way.

Someone asked the difference with Butane and the Simpson method. Butane is more dangerous, and it can leave behind harmful toxins in the oil. Using a 99% plus pure alcohol leaves very little behind, and what is left is generally distilled water. I personally would stay away from BHO (Butane Honey Oil). Using Butane as a lighting fluid, there is so little used and burned to light a cigarette, the toxins are minimal, but putting 6 cans (of was it 12?) through a QP seems like it would leave a LOT behind to me. Only way to really know would be to have a lab test it.

Cedar

Nice project. I've always just smoked oil. Didn't know until recently that it's effects could be had by eating it and using it topically.

depending on what solvent you use to make the oil determines if it is edible or just smokable, anytime you make something your going to eat or use for cooking you should use grain alcohol, as said the amount of alcohol you will not feel it is the thc you will feel, the longer you leave it to extract the thc the more canabanoids you get hence darker more canananoids, lighter less and more physdelics, the liter it is the less other medicinal meds are in it, the darker the better for all that ailes you! I would not cook with any oil made by denatured alcohol or iso,,or butane,,,oils can be made with water, liquir,,olive oils and them are all safe for your consumption!

jmo

Peace

FTW

Jim

Yes, the olive oil is a good idea. I will do that next time.

This time around I diluted what was left in the pan with alcohol. Kept pushing it around with a small spoon then put the remains into a smaller bowl. Then I used the back of the spoon and wiped it on some papers. Some of the papers I double and even triple coated. The alcohol evaporates out and the oil remains on the papers. Then I rolled up some joints with the oil coated papers.

-snip

I used to do this also, but then started to put the oil in my cleaned weed. Some of the oil on the paper gets wasted from the flame. When the oil is in the cleaned weed, less goes up in smoke outside of the joint. You just have to be careful to not roll to tight, and keep the consistency even. I use a paper clip to dip and wipe the oil into the weed.

I could not be more excited at the thought of what I grow can CURE not just help but CURE. It makes all the crap we go thru to grow for our patients so worth it. When I am ready I would like to contact you and see if you can walk me thru some steps to be sure I am doing it the safest and get the best quality I can muster. Thank you so much for this posting!! I have seen the vid and was so hoping this was true!!!!

Make sure they are dry before you do it. What you want to do is dissolve the THC and not the chlorophyll. That's why Rick uses naptha or ether, they don't get as much plant material in them so the taste is a bit better, however also a bit more dangerous.

Mixing shouldn't be a problem at all. It would be like mixing them in a grinder then cooking with it. You get the pallative effects from both that way.

Someone asked the difference with Butane and the Simpson method. Butane is more dangerous, and it can leave behind harmful toxins in the oil. Using a 99% plus pure alcohol leaves very little behind, and what is left is generally distilled water. I personally would stay away from BHO (Butane Honey Oil). Using Butane as a lighting fluid, there is so little used and burned to light a cigarette, the toxins are minimal, but putting 6 cans (of was it 12?) through a QP seems like it would leave a LOT behind to me. Only way to really know would be to have a lab test it.

Cedar

thank you cedar that was me...

i am wondering what everyone consideres the best method to extract the beneficial elements from cannabis. i thought the ice bag extraction origanally..but i am confused now because i have been researching it all LOL

there are as many opinions as there are methods available to extract the oils.

thus far i have only boiled in butter the material to produce butter. but i am getting closer to being able to provide Simpson oil type extracts to my patients, and i have been trying to find the best methods for extracting the purest possible oils with the methods and materials available.

i enjoy all the ideas presented in here...

Problems with Solvents:

Butane

Pro : Leaves little or no residual solvent. Extracts a high-grade oil. Relatively non-toxic.

Con : Typical method of extraction can lead to explosions. Possibly does not extract all beneficial compounds.

Naptha

Pro : Excellent all purpose solvent. Extracts a high grade oil. Thoroughly extracts all beneficial compounds.

Con : Flammable. Harder to find. Frequently contains impurities. Leaves residual solvent in final product. Very toxic.

Isopropyl Alcohol

Pro: Cheap. Easy to find. Extracts a high grade oil(Use 99%). Thoroughly extracts all beneficial compounds.

Con: Flammable. Toxic. Leaves residual solvent in final product.

Grain Alcohol(Everclear, Ethanol)

Pro : Cheap. Extracts a high grade oil. Thoroughly extracts all beneficial compounds. Relatively non-toxic.

Con : Flammable. When utilized correctly not terribly easy to use. Anhydrous forms typically contain toxic methanol.

Supercritical CO2

Pro : Extracts the highest grade oil possible. Thoroughly extracts all beneficial compounds. Non-Toxic. Leaves absolutely no residue.

Con : Equipment costs. Technical know-how required.

Here is another Alcohol which may be useful.

http://www.organicalcohol.com/index.php?submenu=Products&src=gendocs&ref=Neutral%20Grape

"Alchemical Solutions' 190 proof neutral organic grape alcohol is made from certified organic wine produced near Hopland California."

"Grape sugars are unique, and because of their unique actions, grape alcohol does a superior job of extracting medicinal plant constituents. In addition, organic grape alcohol is hypo-allergenic and guaranteed 100% free of genetic modification." - Gail Edwards, Herbalist

I thought ISO left nothing behind as it all evaporated and remnants were water?

Also, part of the the Simpson Oil process is to heat up the oil for like 4 hours. THC needs to release a carbon to become fully active, which happens slowly at room temperature (which is why you can just eat the plant and have effects) but it is much faster if you decarb it. I would think the Co2 extractor, while having no residue at all, wouldn't achieve this.

My vote is for 190 proof everclear if you can find it. It is made for human consumption in the first place. 99% ISO is my next choice, and 151 everclear is my third. Now if I had an extra $10g's laying around, I might pick up a CO2 extractor and just decarb it in an oven beforehand or maybe decarb the oil afterwards.

Question, has anyone tried to put simpson oil into a gel capsule? I had someone tell me it ate through the gel (made with 151 everclear).

Cedar

"has anyone tried to put simpson oil into a gel capsule? I had someone tell me it ate through the gel (made with 151 everclear). "

Never tried it, but the tiny amount needed for ingestion......going into a gel capsule......seems like would have to contain an awful lot of solvent percentage wise to eat through the capsule.

Maybe be wrong but.......Anyone?

Well, they suspended it in oil, so take a touch of simpson oil, put it in any human consumable oil, then put that in the capsule. Like grape seed oil or just anything that is good for you. They have used the oil in other capsules no problem. I personally think they screwed something up, but I just wanted to know if I should be looking for something besides gel capsules when I try mine (2 weeks and counting till I make simpson oil myself).

Cedar

Guest Happy Guy

All the alcohol will be gone if you put the mixture in the oven at 200-220 until it boils off. So all the fears about using iso alcohol are unfounded if you do it right. Make sure you use the 99% iso alcohol.

Gel caps work perfect for ingestion. IMO, there's no better way. Just squirt a little of the warmed oil into the gel caps using a glass syringe. Start with a small dose so you don't freak out the patient with a day long couch lock. One of my own personal rules is that the cook should be the first to try it out.

I thought ISO left nothing behind as it all evaporated and remnants were water?

Also, part of the the Simpson Oil process is to heat up the oil for like 4 hours. THC needs to release a carbon to become fully active, which happens slowly at room temperature (which is why you can just eat the plant and have effects) but it is much faster if you decarb it. I would think the Co2 extractor, while having no residue at all, wouldn't achieve this.

My vote is for 190 proof everclear if you can find it. It is made for human consumption in the first place. 99% ISO is my next choice, and 151 everclear is my third. Now if I had an extra $10g's laying around, I might pick up a CO2 extractor and just decarb it in an oven beforehand or maybe decarb the oil afterwards.

Question, has anyone tried to put simpson oil into a gel capsule? I had someone tell me it ate through the gel (made with 151 everclear).

Cedar

Isopropyl alcohol, when used as a solvent to produce simpson oil, most assuredly remains in the final product. The effects may be negligible, but it all depends on a variety of factors.

http://healthy-synergies.com/Documents/2-1-33-46.pdf

In the Herbal Supplements Industry they typically use hexane, anhydrous ethanol, and Supercritical CO2.

Guest Happy Guy

Isopropyl alcohol, when used as a solvent to produce simpson oil, most assuredly remains in the final product. The effects may be negligible, but it all depends on a variety of factors.

http://healthy-synergies.com/Documents/2-1-33-46.pdf

In the Herbal Supplements Industry they typically use hexane, anhydrous ethanol, and Supercritical CO2.

Nice to be proven, by mass spec analysis, that I'm doing things right. Already knew it but it always feels good to have more proof. How did I know it? Because I try every batch I make myself before my patients get it. Also, all those Rick Simpson testimonials were from iso produced oil. It's the original version and it always was great.

Here's more proof from the scientists;

The amounts of organic volatile impurities present in the herbal formulations and extracts were found to be within the ICH limits.

Just make sure you use the 99% pure iso and put the finished product in the oven until you are past sure that it boiled off. They use this stuff to swab patients all day long at medical facilities. You would absorb more through your skin then you eat after boiling it off. Having said that, don't treat it lightly or you will have a couple extra trips to the bathroom with gut grumbles if the iso alcohol is ingested. That's another reason I always say the cook should try it first.

Nice to be proven by mass spec analysis that I'm doing things right. Already knew it but it always feels good to have more proof.

Here's the proof;

The amounts of organic volatile impurities present in the herbal formulations and extracts were found to be within the ICH limits.

Thanks for the link, been saying that for a while, hadn't any links.

There is no "perfect" extraction process. And on a molecular level, unless you destroy a hell of a lot of cannabinoids in the process to boil off the solvent, you end up ingesting it. That is with regard to the toxic solvents like naptha and iso propyl alcohol (2-propanol), because the main effects of ethanol ingestion are not deadly at those levels.

Supercritical fluid extraction, usually with CO2, (also can use butane, propane, R134a, etc.) is by far the best method. Equipment costs are high, and the process is quite technical. Variations in operating parameters can reduce or increase the yield.

A phase diagram shows the phase relationship of temperature and pressure on a substance. Where the solid, liquid, and gas phases meet is called the triple point. At this point, all phases exist in equilibrium. When a material crosses from the solid to liquid side, usually at a pressure and temperature higher than those above the triple point on the phase diagram, it is said to enter a "super-critical" phase. The process of CO2 supercritical fluid extraction uses pressurized (above 71 atm) AND heat (above 85F) to "energize" the CO2 to it's SC phase. The liquid is pumped through the plant material carrying the good stuff away to be collected in a vessel. In a recirculating system, the liquid/gas is sent back to the holding tank for future use.

With CO2 SFE, any remaining solvent evaporates at room temperature and normal pressure leaving unadulterated botanical extracts behind.

What remains to be documented, is the variance in the lab of different solvents efficacy in removing the targeted compounds. Ideally a lab should be equipped with:

1. A clean room for mold testing.

2. An SFE device, equipped to process material with different solvents.

3. A GC/MS/MS (and more importantly a skilled operator) to rule out pesticides, then graph the compounds of the collected extracts.

Much work remains to be done. Funding is an issue....

Guest Happy Guy

Thanks for the link, been saying that for a while, hadn't any links.

There is no "perfect" extraction process. And on a molecular level, unless you destroy a hell of a lot of cannabinoids in the process to boil off the solvent, you end up ingesting it. That is with regard to the toxic solvents like naptha and iso propyl alcohol (2-propanol), because the main effects of ethanol ingestion are not deadly at those levels.

Sorry about the partial quote. For the sake of good medicine we need to be on the same page with this. Boiling off of the solvent alcohol is done in the oven at 200-220 so that the cannabinoids are not boiled off. That's why we use alcohol with it's low boiling point.

I haven't noticed any bad side effects with myself or any of my patients when ingesting the oil. I use iso alcohol as a solvent and we all do fine just like Rick Simpson's testimonial video patients.

I'm going to go ahead and say Supercritical CO2 would be the closest thing to a perfect solvent for cannabinoid extraction.

Even under ideal laboratory conditions, solvents tend to remain in the final product when producing extracts, as is noted in the study I linked to above. It would stand to reason that far more impurities are left when extracts are produced by a layman. Get my drift?

If it remains under ideal laboratory condition, think of how much might remain under not-so ideal conditions. Ethanol is probably the safest bet, but I don't think it is as easy to get the same quality of oil one can get with Isopropyl. Try to get reagent grade isopropyl, rather than the store bought stuff. Google reagent isopropyl alcohol, and you will see what I'm talking about.

Food for thought.

P.S. When I first started frequenting this site there was a guy who claimed to have bought a Supercritical extraction machine, he was trying to figure out how to use it. I wonder what ever became of him.

This is what I want:

http://www.edenlabs.org/supercritical_extraction.html

Archived