Wilted Clones Going Down...

Newlygrown

I brought home some clones from a respected source and I did well with the first five that are still in VEG. The second batch of three Sour Diesel and Three GDP are doing very bad. I'd hate to lose them and as a new grower I am concerned I did something wrong. I am using organic NUTS but only on the first batch of Bubblegum and Kush as thre SD's and GDPs's are on their first week of fox farm and hapy frog mix soil. Maybe transplant shock? I have watered with Reverse Osmosis water as I have salt water tanks and have a system in the basement already. Humidity is steady at 25-35% and temp of 75-79 degrees dropping to about 67 at light cycle off.

Any advicve for a newbie? Just vegging now but have a room set up for flowering. I am using a 1000 watt MH bulb on the veg and two 1000 HPS bulbs for flowering come next week which will be week four for the Bubblegum.

I brought home some clones from a respected source and I did well with the first five that are still in VEG. The second batch of three Sour Diesel and Three GDP are doing very bad. I'd hate to lose them and as a new grower I am concerned I did something wrong. I am using organic NUTS but only on the first batch of Bubblegum and Kush as thre SD's and GDPs's are on their first week of fox farm and hapy frog mix soil. Maybe transplant shock? I have watered with Reverse Osmosis water as I have salt water tanks and have a system in the basement already. Humidity is steady at 25-35% and temp of 75-79 degrees dropping to about 67 at light cycle off.

Any advicve for a newbie? Just vegging now but have a room set up for flowering. I am using a 1000 watt MH bulb on the veg and two 1000 HPS bulbs for flowering come next week which will be week four for the Bubblegum.

Whoa. A 1000watt MH may be a little harsh for new clones. How close do you have it? I think that you may want to keep them a few feet (3-4) away from that flame thrower. I started using a product called Dyna Grow ProTekt that has silicone in it. I read that it helps prevent wilt. I find that if does. Apparently there is no danger of overusing it either. I keep my clones under a 4 bulb T5 fixture for 3-4 weeks after they show roots and have been transplanted into soil. They progress nicely. I also use only Clonex for nutes for 1-2 weeks after tranplantation to soil.

Edited by amish4ganja

@stopgo-There are a few yellowing leaves out of a dozen clones but nothing out of the ordinary. Thoughts?

@Wolfgama- stopped watering and bought a soil gauge that digitally reads level of saturation, keeping between 3-4

@Foxman711 and Kingdiamond- No nuts for the first week due to using Fox Farm And Happy Frog. You think two weeks?

@Amish4gangja- I will look for the product, thanks for the word...I am keeping the light 3 feet above in a 4x4 grow tent.

LongHairBri-Thanks for the input...

@Foxman711 and Kingdiamond- No nuts for the first week due to using Fox Farm And Happy Frog. You think two weeks?

Fox farm soils have a 4 week shot of built in nutrients from what i was told so i wouldn't use and type of nutrients on clones until they are fully rooted and established in a lifelong container.

@stopgo-There are a few yellowing leaves out of a dozen clones but nothing out of the ordinary. Thoughts?

@Wolfgama- stopped watering and bought a soil gauge that digitally reads level of saturation, keeping between 3-4

@Amish4gangja- I will look for the product, thanks for the word...I am keeping the light 3 feet above in a 4x4 grow tent.

If you have a 1000watt on those little buggers, I would take it 4-5 feet away. They don't need that much light at that age. They are still establishing a root system and lower light encourages root growth. Don't give them a full blast with that monster light until they are 5-6 weeks old. Gradually increase the light as they age. Even then I would hold back and not give them the max possible from a 1000 watt until 6-7 weeks old. I use 400 watts to veg under and they do fine. Big, powerful lights make a big difference in flowering, but maybe not so much in veg.

Regarding watering: I have always been told to let the soil dry out, and I mean dry to a depth of ~2 inches in the pot (to the point that the soil is pulling away from the sides)before watering. Then water to the point of where water runs out the bottom of the pot. Even though the soil looks dry, it is still pretty moist around the root ball. Small, young plants can be watered more frequently, but I still let the soil get less than damp before watering. ProTekt by Dyna Grow reduces wilting in plants at all stages. I use it and as dry as I let my soil get, my plants have never wilted. The leaves may droop a bit if I don't get them watered in time, but never any "wilting".

Regarding nutrients: If you are new to growing, I can give you some info that will get you successfully through your first couple of grows so you can observe the life cycle of a healthy plant. There are recipes on the net for home made organic soil mixtures. The one I now use (after trying to administer nutrients myself unsuccessfully) is one called "Super Soil" I believe. You mix dry organic nutrients into a soil less mix (like Sphagnum peat moss) and they decompose and feed your plants through the entire grow cycle. They won't burn the plants at all. I was so happy when I switched to this stuff because it takes the guess work out of feeding. I find that the soil is generally sufficient to feed the plants, but I keep an eye on the leaves anyway and sometimes give the plants a shot of General Hydroponics 3-part if they look like they need a bit. This is really good stuff. Also, with the organic soil mix you don't get nutrient salt build up (from inorganic fertilizers) that can cause nutrient lock out (a whole nuther problem that requires you too flush your soil with gallons of water to get rid of the salts - don't ask me how I know this). I have found the organic soil mix is the way to grow for me. Really simplifies things and the results can be stunning. ;)

Humidity is steady at 25-35%

Any advicve for a newbie?

Yes.

More times than not, a single symptom is due to more than one cause.

You can easily heal symptoms without affecting the cause. Do not rush to treat symptoms, always look to treat the cause.

Wilting clones.

Low humidity levels wilt leaves.

IMO one of the causes of your problem is your humidity, it is rather low for a young growing plant in their vegetative cycle.

My experience shows that my plants thrive in 50%-80% RH during vegetation, with 65%-70% being optimal, and anything less than 40% leads to issues.

Also make sure you have good air circulation, didn't see you include anything about that.

I asked how long you have had the clones because of the humidity level your running. Many people who clone use humidity domes to help with rooting. The proper procedure is to slowly acclimate the rooted plant to lower humidity. First they should open the vents on the dome then undome and introduce them to low intensity light before giving them to someone else. If they were quickly introduced to a low humidity environment they will most definitely wilt.

Edited by stopgo

Anyone have suggestions on how to increase humidity? My humidifier I use in my home adds heat as well and I have been stable at 77 degrees F for two weeks and don't want to add heat.

\

If you are on a concrete floor, dampen the floor and let it evaporate. Otherwise, buy a humidifier. They should be going on clearance pretty soon.

I use solo cups to start my clones after I pull them out of the aerocloner, when I put the rooted clone in the cup I put a sandwich bag over the top of the cup, as long as you have moisture in the soil the little bit of heat from a light will keep your baby in humidity until it growing well on its own. If need be you can mist the inside of the baggies to help with humidity.

dude do yourself a big favor, once rooted ALWAYS TRANSPLANT THEM into the SAME BRAND OR TYPE OF SOIL AS THE MOTHER PLANT they came from. they are less likely to suffer shock and they will grow

bigger, faster and be healthier

#1\ 6 weeks after cloned

5o.jpg

#2\ 10 weeks

11.jpg

#3\ 13 weeks

100_0287.jpg

Edited by esadmf

• 3 weeks later...

If I were you I'd invest $60-$120 on a 400 watt mh light. They've got a kit at HTG for $120 that includes ballast, reflector and bulb. I see 400 watt light for around $60 on craigslist often as well. You could also get a switchable ballast that will allow you to run the 1000 watt at 25 to 50% power. 1000 watts is just way too much for young clones. You'll constantly be battling against heat stress and you're spending quite a bit more than you need to in electricity cost.

• 5 years later...

was looking for some advice i took cuttings from my sour grape mother plant two weeks ago did everything the tuts said to do they were looking healthy under t5 lights i did not put under a dome at all i lightly sprayed them three times a day they are still green but are drooping i have them in rapid rooter plugs and in foxfarm soil not sure if they rooted yet but im still spraying them is it possible the roots have taken and im watering them to much ? 

was looking for some advice i took cuttings from my sour grape mother plant two weeks ago did everything the tuts said to do they were looking healthy under t5 lights i did not put under a dome at all i lightly sprayed them three times a day they are still green but are drooping i have them in rapid rooter plugs and in foxfarm soil not sure if they rooted yet but im still spraying them is it possible the roots have taken and im watering them to much ?

I would think ff would be to hot for unrooted/fresh clones. Did you mix anything in the soil to dilute the soil?