Dwc ? Micro Cloner Questions

made a microcloner for a friend.

Its a 3L plastic box with 4 places to put cuttings.

2 6" airstones sharing the same small pump and a non adjustable aquarium heater set at 78 deg.

6.5 Ph water with a capfull of peroxide added - no other additives.

The cutting ends sit 1/8to 1/4 inch below water surface.

Ambient air temp is 60-68.

questions

1. Is the temp in correct range? (the grow bible says water temp good but other forums say it should be 10-15 degrees less).

2. How often should water be changed?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks

Cloning is not one of my strong suits, however I have found that at 65 water temp or below I can't get good roots going. I raise it up to 70+ and I get great results.

Are the bubbles enough to splash on the stems? They need more than humidity to stay alive long enough to get roots. Make sure there is water splashing on them and that they never dry out.

Keep the tops misted or put a dome on it, I mist mine a few times a way. The plants will take in water through the leaves, not enough to stay alive, but maybe enough to stay alive long enough to get some roots. Once roots show (1/2 inch or better) I normally throw in 1/4 strength nutes. That's when they really start going all out.

Cloning is an art form, Since I made changes I am 100% successful with great looking roots, but I killed a few dozen clones before I got it right. Either because I didn't get roots, or they weren't strong enough to have been worth it.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I use water adjusted to pH 5.5, and only water. I know people do other things, but keeping the pH at 5.5 was all I've had to do, and typically around 9 days my roots are coming along. My micro cloner was pretty tiny, and the pH climbed daily. But I grew some great clones in it prior to graduating to the 5 gal bucket aero-cloner. It works a bit better for me.

• I leave mine out of the water and let the bubbles splash them.
  • Temp has been about 80 this time and roots came in 6-10 days for 11 of 12 cuttings.
  • No nutes
  • PH of my tap water is 5.7 so no need to raise or lower it.
  • I have not changed the water.
  • I clean with a bleach solution between runs and am not meticulous about rinsing every bit of bleach out so a small amount remains. I think a drop of bleach and a cap of peroxide are interchangeable.

Extremely happy with my cloner's performance! Cuttings remain green throughout the process and most all of them take root.

Archived