Almost Killed Them All

I've been around cultivated plants most of my life. From my early childhood helping my parents tend a co-op garden in the Matanuska Valley till I managed a couple big box garden centers here and Ohio, I've been at peace when my hands were dirty.

That's probably why I can be content just sitting, in the sun or grow lamp, staring at my handiwork and silently urging it on. It has been my experience that even though they're are incapable of communication, plants do tell you when they are happy or sad. If you are paying attention, you'll see small hints. Small interventions like removal of dead material, or moving them into slightly different light, can make big differences. I love doing that.

That habit paid off today.

I replaced a 4 outlet strip with a 6 this morning in my veg room. I went back about an hour later and one of the bigger plants was drooping a bit up top. The rest looked fine so I gave just the one an extra drink and raised the hps an inch. I go back again, maybe 2 hrs later and ALL the plants are bent over at the top!!!

Turns out my pump timer was not plugged in all the way! If I had not noticed I would be back at zero! Ahhhh!

Luckily I caught it quick and they're all fine, whew!

It was kind of neat being able to see my best two visibly, I mean I watched it move, straighten up.

True story.

I've been around cultivated plants most of my life. From my early childhood helping my parents tend a co-op garden in the Matanuska Valley till I managed a couple big box garden centers here and Ohio, I've been at peace when my hands were dirty.

That's probably why I can be content just sitting, in the sun or grow lamp, staring at my handiwork and silently urging it on. It has been my experience that even though they're are incapable of communication, plants do tell you when they are happy or sad. If you are paying attention, you'll see small hints. Small interventions like removal of dead material, or moving them into slightly different light, can make big differences. I love doing that.

That habit paid off today.

I replaced a 4 outlet strip with a 6 this morning in my veg room. I went back about an hour later and one of the bigger plants was drooping a bit up top. The rest looked fine so I gave just the one an extra drink and raised the hps an inch. I go back again, maybe 2 hrs later and ALL the plants are bent over at the top!!!

Turns out my pump timer was not plugged in all the way! If I had not noticed I would be back at zero! Ahhhh!

Luckily I caught it quick and they're all fine, whew!

It was kind of neat being able to see my best two visibly, I mean I watched it move, straighten up.

True story.

I’m with you! My cultivation experiences with this “life form” called cannabis, has enhanced my understanding of the world I’m part of. It is also quite satisfying too! I'm sure many other growing Caregivers would agree.

wikipedia.org quotes: International Labour Office (1999). Safety and health in agriculture. International Labour Organization. pp. 77–. ISBN 978-92-2-111517-5. It defines Agriculture: The cultivation of animals, plants, fungi and other life forms for food, fiber, and other products used to sustain life.

Thanks for sharing your expereince.

growing marijuana has been a part of my health therapy. Its true, I am at peace the most while sitting on the floor of my grow room looking at my plants. When the harvest comes, I am sad - as I have an 'empty nest'. Somedays I wish I would never leave my jungle.

Its true, once you setup your room and are happy with it - you know it. The room and the plants can communicate issues. I can open the door, and the temp should always be the same. Pots away from the door tend to dry faster, I know this - so I compensate and water those plants more. Fans and dehumidifiers can burn leaves if they are closer than 2.5 feet, so I know to train the plants away from that zone. The aircooled lights will not burn plants unless they get 3-4" from the glass, so I train.

The leaves are the biggest communicator, they can angle themselves when they are happy and focused on light. They can wilt, curl in or out, veins can show discolor, spaces inbetween veins can show attack of mites, and color of the leaf can show its health or growing stage. I believe that once you know healthy marijuana plants, you will always reconise it. It is learning the illnesses and reasons your plant get sick or attacked that is important - so you know how to respond to it. If you do not know what to do, sometimes your 'cure' can be its death. Don't be afraid to learn from sick plants, don't be in such a hurry to trash them.

I also wonder, maybe all the time I spend in the grow room, the plants sense me too. Maybe as I exhale, they get a treat. Maybe they like the preening, removing the dead stuff right away, checking for mites, moving branches and leaves so they get the best lights. They like contact too.

I also landscape the dirt, the top 1 inch is keep loose and even. (good way to see if you got flies - disturbing the dirt will cause them to fly out from the dirt)

I think I finally found a job I can love, marijuana gardener. (trimming still sucks)

-DN

growing marijuana has been a part of my health therapy. Its true, I am at peace the most while sitting on the floor of my grow room looking at my plants. When the harvest comes, I am sad - as I have an 'empty nest'. Somedays I wish I would never leave my jungle.

Its true, once you setup your room and are happy with it - you know it. The room and the plants can communicate issues. I can open the door, and the temp should always be the same. Pots away from the door tend to dry faster, I know this - so I compensate and water those plants more. Fans and dehumidifiers can burn leaves if they are closer than 2.5 feet, so I know to train the plants away from that zone. The aircooled lights will not burn plants unless they get 3-4" from the glass, so I train.

The leaves are the biggest communicator, they can angle themselves when they are happy and focused on light. They can wilt, curl in or out, veins can show discolor, spaces inbetween veins can show attack of mites, and color of the leaf can show its health or growing stage. I believe that once you know healthy marijuana plants, you will always reconise it. It is learning the illnesses and reasons your plant get sick or attacked that is important - so you know how to respond to it. If you do not know what to do, sometimes your 'cure' can be its death. Don't be afraid to learn from sick plants, don't be in such a hurry to trash them.

I also wonder, maybe all the time I spend in the grow room, the plants sense me too. Maybe as I exhale, they get a treat. Maybe they like the preening, removing the dead stuff right away, checking for mites, moving branches and leaves so they get the best lights. They like contact too.

I also landscape the dirt, the top 1 inch is keep loose and even. (good way to see if you got flies - disturbing the dirt will cause them to fly out from the dirt)

I think I finally found a job I can love, marijuana gardener. (trimming still sucks)

-DN

Good read! all plants are living things! I love to talk to my plants, whether they are mm or tomatoes or cucumbers or peppers or roses,,they all need our attn to thrive..most will make it if you dont listen to them,,but your best will come from your best!

Peace

FTW

Jim

hey all

yes it is right we think were helping them as we grow with them... when they are helping and feeding us too... the big thing is we are watching new every time we start a new plant... i think yes we give but they give us so much more just in the natural peace of it all... plants do show us how to feel happy not just be happy... this should show us more... some find it others dont... but once you do life changes for you... now you have a feeling that never goes away and one you want everyday... grow for life and soul... happy people make happier plants and happier plants grow more so the bounty will be more... the true green is not in the money its in the value of what its gives not what we take from it...

abbe

Archived