Blue Cough .. A Single Seed

peanutbutter

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Happy Guy

You guys do realize you can get as high a concentration of CBD in your oil as you want , right? It's an old trick called vaporization. Slowly boil off the THC at a controlled temperature greater than 314.6 less than 320. Nice how that was set up for us to make it just that easy. You can also turn the CBD into THC but that is a little more involved. I think 3% THC is a problem. It's nearly inert at that percentage. In my opinion, a better balance is indicated.

Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)

Boiling point:157*C / 314.6 degree Fahrenheit

Properties: Euphoriant, Analgesic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiemetic

cannabidiol (CBD)

Boiling point: 160-180*C / 320-356 degree Fahrenheit

Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

Cannalytics here, you can view the Blue Cough test results from the Green Bee at:

http://www.micannalytics.com/dispensary.php?dispensary=10&sortby=PercentCBD

As you will see, there is indeed some variability in the numbers as a result of the numerous measurements that are included in the equation to calculate potency. But the bottom line is clear, Blue Cough from the Green Bee is the first documented CBD-rich strain in Michigan. As time goes on, our lab will continue to refine our methodology to reduce sources of experimental error through automation, however biologic variability will always exist and one must keep in mind that varying moisture contents will lead to different results since percentages are expressed on a mass basis (the drier/more cured the bud, the more potent it will be). It is for that reason that these tests should be referred to as "point tests" meaning that they pertain only to those items sampled. In the future, it is our goal to be able to certify larger batches by collecting a number of samples from the same batch of harvested material in order to generate statistically significant potency levels. We will also be offering microbiological contaminant and pesticide residue screening in the near future.

A few side notes:

-sterilizing seeds with bleach is fine so long as they are rinsed with water multiple times before germinating (I've done this using 50% bleach with 3x water rinses for germination on agar plates)

-CBD is not a precursor for THC, although if you look at some older literature it was hypothesized that it might be; instead THC and CBD share a common precursor, cannabigerol acid (CBGA), that is enzymatically directed down either the THCA or CBDA pathway by specific synthases, which if "knocked out"/mutated to lose function would result in a plant lacking that particular cannabinoid

-according to www.ProjectCBD.org, only 1 in every 500-750 samples tested will be considered CBD-rich, which they define as having a CBD concentration of >= 4%; they also point out that even if a strain has been identified as CBD-rich, each seed of the strain will represent a unique geno-/phenotype that will not necessarily be CBD-rich itself

For more information on the accuracy of lab testing:

http://projectcbd.org/LabNotes/LabNotes.html

If you're interested in having your sample tested, learn more at:

http://micannalytics.com

I apologize for my earlier comment stating that THC(A) cannot be produced from CBD(A). My intent was to say that this does not enzymatically occur within a living cannabis plant. It is however possible to convert CBD in extracts to THC by acid cyclization. Please see this article for more information: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T2N-47FDN5G-H&_user=1111158&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2002&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=gateway&_origin=gateway&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1741396980&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000051676&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=1111158&md5=d6e408a9651f4586528835a7863d445d&searchtype=a#secx3

I apologize for my earlier comment stating that THC(A) cannot be produced from CBD(A). My intent was to say that this does not enzymatically occur within a living cannabis plant. It is however possible to convert CBD in extracts to THC by acid cyclization. Please see this article for more information: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T2N-47FDN5G-H&_user=1111158&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2002&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=gateway&_origin=gateway&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1741396980&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000051676&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=1111158&md5=d6e408a9651f4586528835a7863d445d&searchtype=a#secx3

Yes .. I was aware of this kind of shift.

Since you seem to understand this concept, is it possible to convert THC to CBD in a basic environment?

That could solve a basic problem.

I need to have several runs tested to determine what changes based on solvent and a couple of other variables.

Guest finallyfree09

Cannabis is an anual plant , we should naturally assume that the seeds would need to be winterd for best resuslts as they sprout in the spring . In the fall Cannabis completes its lifecycle and if pollinated it will produce seeds that will be distributed by wind and animals . These seeds in nature always are given time to age and cure so to say .

I have always let my newborn seeds rest for a few months before sprouting , I notice a higher amount of sprout ratio . It can be frustrating with newly developed seeds that wont sprout .

I have heard of others being upset when they purchased seeds that were to fresh , example Barney Farms has a new one in there lineup available and its still fairly new being a 2010 cup winner . The strain is Tangerine Dream , if you google it youll find many who could not get the first of the seeds sent out to sprout , many had to put them back and let them dry out some more before they finally got results .. I too have had this happen Pb ..

I think your one shot is right on track , and as others said if you sprout a female from selfing lines becareful as she may wind up being a true hermie . If your lucky she will be just a little finicky in the end with selfing tendencies ..

As I learned to farm, I grew my own selfed seeds for 3 crops to learn and understand this trait , if selfed youll never find a male thats pure . You may find a male but it too will be a hermie in its flower cycle .. Growing selfed seeds can be very rewarding and disappointing , its a hit and miss all to often .. It takes a very fine eye to keep the pollen at bay ... OD

here is a quote from something i was just reading about male hermaphrodites that everyone might find interesting...

"(A quick word on "backward" hermaphrodites declared males that eventually sport female flowers as opposed to the usual female-to-male hermaphrodites. These are semi-rare occurrences, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I have found at times to be valuable in their genetic contributions. Some of the most resinous and desirable males I have encountered exhibited this trait. This trait almost seems to guarantee against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female to male ratio in its progeny.) "

and here is the link!!! :rolleyes:

http://www.seedsplaza.com/cannabis-seeds-strain-breeding-art.html

Yes .. I was aware of this kind of shift.

Since you seem to understand this concept, is it possible to convert THC to CBD in a basic environment?

That could solve a basic problem.

I need to have several runs tested to determine what changes based on solvent and a couple of other variables.

I've attached a couple of articles that may be of interest to you. One is the PDF of the article that I previously provided a link to. I had thought it was available to the public but it requires a log in. It is an overview of acidic/basic conversion products of CBD. Another is a link demonstrating the effects of gastric juice on CBD.

http://micannalytics.com/articles/CBD-Chemical-Aspects.pdf

http://micannalytics.com/articles/CBD-Gastric-Juice.pdf

Does time matter? That is, time from harvest.

Should it wait to completely dry out? Will it pop directly from the dried bud or should it dry a little longer?

I would have to say does not matter, I pulled some homemade fem seeds from a plant and had babies before I enen harvested her...

You guys do realize you can get as high a concentration of CBD in your oil as you want , right? It's an old trick called vaporization. Slowly boil off the THC at a controlled temperature greater than 314.6 less than 320. Nice how that was set up for us to make it just that easy. You can also turn the CBD into THC but that is a little more involved. I think 3% THC is a problem. It's nearly inert at that percentage. In my opinion, a better balance is indicated.

Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)

Boiling point:157*C / 314.6 degree Fahrenheit

Properties: Euphoriant, Analgesic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiemetic

cannabidiol (CBD)

Boiling point: 160-180*C / 320-356 degree Fahrenheit

Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

Here's a recent article from www.ProjectCBD.org dispelling the myth that cannabinoids can be fractionated by vaporizing: http://www.projectcbd.org/CBDiary.html#May12.11

Guest Happy Guy

Here's a recent article from www.ProjectCBD.org dispelling the myth that cannabinoids can be fractionated by vaporizing: http://www.projectcbd.org/CBDiary.html#May12.11

You mis understood what I wrote. I didn't mean vaporizing with a cannabis vaporizer. I meant vaporization as the physical change from a liquid to a gas. I agree you couldn't expect a Volcano to be presise enough to change the ratio of CBD/THC in the bag. A controlled temp for a period of time will remove the THC and leave you with a CBD rich cannabis oil. You could rig a bag up and catch the pure THC vapor though. Then it wouldn't go to waste. Like the analogy about the snow melting in your linked article, the reaction will be imperfect. It should be good enough to change the ratio. I don't own a testing machine so I haven't done these specific experiments. The theory is solid.

I have tried the acid conversion but not with artificial gastric juices. I used H2SO4. The conversion is distructive and leaves you with much less product. I didn't see much change in the patient results after this kind of conversion. The oil was probably very high THC before the conversion. I came to this conclusion after seeing some of the testing results from cannabis oil, from iso extracion, with surprisingly high THC content.

You mis understood what I wrote. I didn't mean vaporizing with a cannabis vaporizer. I meant vaporization as the physical change from a liquid to a gas. I agree you couldn't expect a Volcano to be presise enough to change the ratio of CBD/THC in the bag. A controlled temp for a period of time will remove the THC and leave you with a CBD rich cannabis oil. You could rig a bag up and catch the pure THC vapor though. Then it wouldn't go to waste. Like the analogy about the snow melting in your linked article, the reaction will be imperfect. It should be good enough to change the ratio. I don't own a testing machine so I haven't done these specific experiments. The theory is solid.

To do a fractional distillation you want the desired products to have a large amount of difference between boiling points. The difference between THC and CBD is small. That means quality of equipment needs to go up. More expensive and difficult to find.

I have tried the acid conversion but not with artificial gastric juices. I used H2SO4. The conversion is distructive and leaves you with much less product. I didn't see much change in the patient results after this kind of conversion. The oil was probably very high THC before the conversion. I came to this conclusion after seeing some of the testing results from cannabis oil, from iso extracion, with surprisingly high THC content.

I think it was the norm to use H2OS4 with the isomizer. (think that was what it was called) named because it was supposed to rotate and shift isomers. It's possible that some delta 8 is shifted to delta 9 also.

• 11 months later...

What a difference a year makes.

I have this strain... Thanks to Roofrat who is definitely a stand-up guy. I have been instructed to pay-it-forward. If further testing proves to be positive, then pls feel free to contact me this fall for cuttings, whomever feels the need.

Take Care All,

Abe

What a difference a year makes.

I have this strain... Thanks to Roofrat who is definitely a stand-up guy. I have been instructed to pay-it-forward. If further testing proves to be positive, then pls feel free to contact me this fall for cuttings, whomever feels the need.

Take Care All,

Abe

Your a darn good man Abe! Glad I met ya! Medcnman.

Archived