The I-Phone Will Spy/tell On You

My hero, Karl Deninger, who is one of the few bloggers out there who KNOWS where the US$ is going, has this article posted on his site today. Given the interest in Mich State Police to extract info out of our cell phones, you might want to look at this item...especially if you don't want anyone to have a record of where you have been.....like as in "brokering " !

Yes, spy, not "i".

As in "Spy On You":

"Security researchers have discovered that Apple's iPhone keeps track of where you go – and saves every detail of it to a secret file on the device which is then copied to the owner's computer when the two are synchronised.

The file contains the latitude and longitude of the phone's recorded coordinates along with a timestamp, meaning that anyone who stole the phone or the computer could discover details about the owner's movements using a simple program.

You consented to this.... when? Oh yeah, you apparently did, right at the end of the iTunes program "consent" screen.

You can turn this off...... how? It appears you can't.

That's very nice. While Android has the option to enable geolocation based on GPS or wireless signal (phone) to the best of my knowledge it does not keep a "cookie crumb" file that can be and is transferred off the device. In addition Android (on all the devices I've looked at) default to the geolocation function for their camera shots off (you can enable it, but it's not on by default.)

There are applications that do keep a cookie-crumb file on Android: If you have a navigator program loaded and running, for example, you can tell it to keep track of where you're going. But that's different - you explicitly consent to that happening (e.g. with Google's "Latitudes") where this appears to be something that "just happens" without bothering to tell you first, other than the obscure disclaimer and consent in iTunes.

How "accessible" is this file to various applications and such? I have no idea.

You must presume, without hard proof otherwise, that it is accessible to any application running on the device, which means any app you load could conceivably read and transmit not just your current location at the time it's running but your entire location history.

As our life becomes more and more "connected" advertisers and others continue to see value in finding out exactly what you're doing. Unfortunately, that just might include keeping track of things you didn't think you were disclosing to others."

http://market-ticker.org/

dr. Jinx

Edited by jimbojinx

:thumbsu::goodjob: yet another great posting... glad i do not have this particular phone however am weary of any phone.. hell even tvs could be equipped with ways of them watching us while the tv is on its not that far fetched of an idea crazier things have been done... i dont trust any of it.. anyhooo... good knowledge to have and knowledge is power! Peace and love....

:thumbsu::goodjob: yet another great posting... glad i do not have this particular phone however am weary of any phone.. hell even tvs could be equipped with ways of them watching us while the tv is on its not that far fetched of an idea crazier things have been done... i dont trust any of it.. anyhooo... good knowledge to have and knowledge is power! Peace and love....

Hi Shining !!

I hear you !!!

Dr. Jinx

• 2 weeks later...