New Patient Needing Help And Information

I am new here and have been lurking here off and on for a while.

I requested and have received my medical records needed. Since I have MS, Neuropathy,other neuro illnesses I believe being approved will be simple (once I have my doctor appointment). I am new in town and don't really know anyone here.

I need to know who to place in the caregiver's name on the form. Initially I thought I would go with the dispensary since they would always have a variety of types of medicine. Now I am thinking that over.

My question is where do I go for advice? If I don't list a dispensary, how do I choose a person I don't know and can't trust

Red

I am new here and have been lurking here off and on for a while.

I requested and have received my medical records needed. Since I have MS, Neuropathy,other neuro illnesses I believe being approved will be simple (once I have my doctor appointment). I am new in town and don't really know anyone here.

I need to know who to place in the caregiver's name on the form. Initially I thought I would go with the dispensary since they would always have a variety of types of medicine. Now I am thinking that over.

My question is where do I go for advice? If I don't list a dispensary, how do I choose a person I don't know and can't trust

I live in Ann Arbor

Red

Welcome and good luck. You can't actually list a dispensary, you can list one of their employees as the CG. The CG has to be a person, not a business.

Now, most dispensaries charge by the gram. It is expensive, and a lot of CG's will come in under what a dispensary charges for crap, but give you really good product. If you put down a CG, but have a relationship with a dispensary, through P2P transfers you can use both.

I would recommend finding a CG, talking to them, setting out what you expect, and he can set out what he expects of you. Put it down on paper and both sign it. If you don't have your Dr's Rec yet, he can't give you samples, but he might be able to show you what he normally produces.

You might also be able to talk to his other patients, give him your phone number, and say, "Can you please have some of your other patients call me so I can talk to them about your service". Of course there is some portion of trust you have to have that these are real patients. I know as a CG I won't give out my PT's number to anyone, but if someone asked, I would give a number to my PT's to have them call.

The best part is you can change. And it only takes 10 days to do so. If you aren't happy with your CG, inform him in writing and change. You are not locked in anything. I had an associate once that had a saying "hire quick and fire fast". Meaning don't get to caught up in picking one, find someone you are comfortable with after meeting face to face, and then if they don't meet expectations, drop them and find another.

Just like I said, make sure you spell out exactly in contract what you expect from them, and that they spell out exactly what they expect from you.

Once again, good luck.

Cedar

P.S. what area are you in?

THCF and Dr. Kenewell (Center for Compassionate Care I believe it is called) are active down in that area. Both would do an excellent job. I hear Harwell is down in AA but I would not refer you to him.

My closest clinic is in Burton on Wed evenings.

Hope it helps.

Dr. Bob

She's in Ann Arbor. It's buried there in her second response.....

Great advice from CedarSpringsCG.

The only thing that I would add is don't let not having a caregiver hold up your process of certification. It takes so long to get your physical card, I would just make myself the caregiver, send in the paperwork, and then look for a caregiver.

You can switch it back over from you to a caregiver easily and it only costs you $10 later.

I know it's an 'extra' $10, but I'd get 'in line' as fast as I could at this point.

Edited by Royal Smoke

A big thanks to both of you! I didn't realize it was that easy to change CG and $10 is nothing, so I will choose myself. Thanks for the tip on medical personnel too.

The most important thing for me is spasticity. A drug called Sativex has proven very effective for progressive multiple sclerosis which is what I have. This drug is approved in the U.K., Canada and Europe.

Sativex is a concentrated form of marijuana so U.S.won't use it. So, I need a strain that would provide the muscle relaxant aspect.

very helpful~

Red