Light Question

swampghost

Just getting started and money is tight.

I am finding several scources for recycled factory/shop lighting in both 400W HPS/MH. Will these do the job ? Any modifications that would help etc. I am thinking 2 of each. 12 plants to start, Probably separate veg and flower areas. Thanks in advance.

Just getting started and money is tight.

I am finding several scources for recycled factory/shop lighting in both 400W HPS/MH. Will these do the job ? Any modifications that would help etc. I am thinking 2 of each. 12 plants to start, Probably separate veg and flower areas. Thanks in advance.

I think HTG has reconditioned 400W MH and HPS units for close to a hundred bucks. I've seen the MH working well in veg. As far as flowering though, you will probably end up going to higher watts and ventilated hoods. If there's some way to scratch up the money now, you won't end up with a reconditioned HPS light that's just sitting on the shelf. Good luck, swampghost!

Happy Easter!

Inside Sun is a website I ordered my first MH light from I got a 400 watter with a winged reflector. It came with the same ballast that those shop lights come with just on a cord to the reflector instead of mounted on it.... Anyway it work well for veg, I never tried HPS ones... If I remember correctly I think the only thing I didn't like was they draw a little more amps then a regular name brand ballast....

Hey swamp...Im like you...just starting to plan out my garden. Ive been doing lots of research on lighting lately and accidently stumbled across these new LED lights. Before you buy anything, you should atleast check them out.

From what I've read, small led set-ups (like the 90w UFO) can actually produce more USABLE light than 400w hid's (although this is often argued). But..!!!...no one can argue that they use 1/5th to 1/6th the power and produce almost no heat! And no need for balast.

Again, from what I have read, led's actually produce less lumens (a major point for critics of LED's), BUT you can customize the light with specific Reds, Blues, and yellows so you have almost no waisted light. (guess a great deal of HID light is wasted, or not used by the plant, like 80% or something) WHy pay for light that the plant doesnt use? So even though they produce less lumens...the plants actually get more usable light (think I said that already). Oh...and you can use the same light for both grow and flower stages!)

So...now I'm in the process of finding the right ratios of Reds to blues to have in my set up (youtube videos can even show you how to make your own LED lights; Im gunna try!). Ive seen manufactures commonly use a 8/1 ratio, but think I like that 7/1/1 ratio of Red, Blue and yellow appears to be best.

Sorry bout the rambleing on.....but I've just gotten really excited about the potential of these LED's!!

Best of luck Bud!

If you are electrically handy you can convert a highbay lighting system into a remote ballast system....All it takes is a few feet of the correct electrical cord...Some wire nuts and a reflector/socket.....That is what i am currently using

My fist grow I used a 400watt MH it did a great job. But is used a lot of power and was HOT and the tops of the plant had to stay far enough away for the heat stress them. Depending one how big you let your plants get in Veg might make a difference. This time I went to Home Depot and got T8's there just a bit bigger then the T5s, The hood was 79 bucks and the 6500K bulbs are 24 dollars for 10.. You can let the tops get alot closer then with the MH.. Seem to be working great.. Short and bushy plants.. and a LOT less power suck up..

400 watt hps is perfect for personal growers. If you want to go the cheapest possible route there are some hydro shops that sell you the stuff to build your own ballast... I know there use to be a sticky on one of the old big weed growing websites that gave details on separating the ballast from those shop lights, I don't recommend it though.

Archived