Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I just ordered custom cages from my hydroponics retailer's catalogue.

 

Custom...meaning I measured my ladies' overall height and then picked these really nice 30" tall, 18" diameter (top), tomato cages. They are going to work beautifully.

 

I have modified a number of tomato cages over the years including collapsable 'square' cages, and regular 54" tomato cages with 4-5 rings.

 

I am really looking forward to the ones I just ordered.

 

Good luck. And get them NOW if you are going to get them. There is nothing harder to find from August-March than tomato cages!!! :-)

 

Peace.Love.And support the flowers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would have to echo what BBK said. They seemed great, right up til the last four weeks of flower. Once the buds got heavy, the cages wouldn't stand straight under the weight. I came in one morning and half the plants had done the domino thing. :( Great support for the peripheral branches though, until the buds start packing. Maybe try incorporating both a pole and a cage. Let us know how it works out for you.

Edited by ToadInCan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would have to echo what BBK said. They seemed great, right up til the last four weeks of flower. Once the buds got heavy, the cages wouldn't stand straight under the weight. I came in one morning and half the plants had done the domino thing. :( Great support for the peripheral branches though, until the buds start packing. Maybe try incorporating both a pole and a cage. Let us know how it works out for you.

Yah, I had been thinking about them cages.

My biggest concern for failure was the Domino Effect.

Them cages are heavy metal, and its tight quarters in the grow room.

To prevent the Domino Effect, you have to take all load off the plant, and have the cage attached to a heavy base to provide counter balance.

Tooling time and cost seemed prohibitive.

tomatocage.jpg

I've been having good success recently with those 5 tier plactic shelves Meijer sells for about $50.

I only use two shelves to make a plant stand that holds two plants, and provides 4 post holes for 4 6' foot plant stakes.

I use binding wire to wrap around the stakes to create a cage, and then can tie the stalks directly to the stakes for vertical support.

I've also modded so the run off goes through a hole in the top shelf to a catch pail on the lower shelf.

Just need to come up with a good high-value low-cost caster solution.

Got to keep costs down wherever possible :money:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...