Grow House Gramps Arrested In Detroit

70-year-old farming marijuana

Grow House Video

The old man knew what he was doing !!!

(WJBK) - The Wayne County Sheriff's Department calls it a major score in the drug war. More than $1 million worth of marijuana seized by undercover officers. And to many's surprise, a senior citizen is the suspected kingpin.

FOX 2's Simon Shaykhet has the story from a grow house with plants that are taller than he is!

70-year-old farming marijuana

Grow House Video

The old man knew what he was doing !!!

(WJBK) - The Wayne County Sheriff's Department calls it a major score in the drug war. More than $1 million worth of marijuana seized by undercover officers. And to many's surprise, a senior citizen is the suspected kingpin.

FOX 2's Simon Shaykhet has the story from a grow house with plants that are taller than he is!

what a shame all that green wasted

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

These guys do nothing but feed the opposition. I'm glad Grandpa is off the streets and the weed is destroyed. With this pipeline shut down it will allow the legal cg to fill some of the void. Even if it's only 1% of the void created by this criminal, it only takes 100 of these very large removals. 99 to go in that area.....You'd have to believe some of these large scale illegal growers would be monitoring this site as it's real hard to miss in any search for Mi MM. To them I say: Next?

I believe MJ should be 100% legal for everyone of a legal age (like booze). But until it is, these operations shouldn't be tolerated one bit. They aren't helping us at all.

Best

they never said it was for medical purposes and also how much of that do you really think is going to people with cards i really hope that by saying that a legal cg should be suppling these people because that would make that cg a crook just like grampa i also believe that mj should be 100% legal for someone over 18 but i really hope we don't want to have legal cg replacing these people.

by the way gramps could grow

These guys do nothing but feed the opposition. I'm glad Grandpa is off the streets and the weed is destroyed. With this pipeline shut down it will allow the legal cg to fill some of the void. Even if it's only 1% of the void created by this criminal, it only takes 100 of these very large removals. 99 to go in that area.....You'd have to believe some of these large scale illegal growers would be monitoring this site as it's real hard to miss in any search for Mi MM. To them I say: Next?

I believe MJ should be 100% legal for everyone of a legal age (like booze). But until it is, these operations shouldn't be tolerated one bit. They aren't helping us at all.

Best

:goodjob: I have no sympathy for any illegal growers.

Ed

Gramps is officially my hero. You haters deserve spider mites for wishing ill on an old man who harmed no one.

Remember it's still federally illegal for all of us before you decide to crucify the old guy.

You don't think any of that Medicine would have helped anyone? Like they were exclusively selling it to partyers and not sick people? Tearing down grows just keeps prices high. No one should be happy about it except the departments that get to keep the asset forfeiture.

Shame on some of you.

Gramps is officially my hero. You haters deserve spider mites for wishing ill on an old man who harmed no one.

Remember it's still federally illegal for all of us before you decide to crucify the old guy.

You don't think any of that Medicine would have helped anyone? Like they were exclusively selling it to partyers and not sick people? Tearing down grows just keeps prices high. No one should be happy about it except the departments that get to keep the asset forfeiture.

Shame on some of you.

I thought that was shocking - being "happy that gramps is off the street" not to mention happy the "weed" was destroyed. :thumbsd:

I, for one have compassion for illegal growers because...it shouldn't be illegal!

I thought that was shocking - being "happy that gramps is off the street" not to mention happy the "weed" was destroyed. :thumbsd:

I, for one have compassion for illegal growers because...it shouldn't be illegal!

Thank you Mezz, you said it a lot nicer than I was gonna.

:goodjob: I have no sympathy for any illegal growers. Ed
Mr. Glen I do not want to agitate you and I agree this isn't good for people wanting a legal aveneue with more relaxation of laws . The bottom line is the dispensaries and non card-holding patients require supply and our society is about satisfying demand to make a profit . Lets hope the Locker System / Farmers Market concept wins support from the Michigan Supreme Court the only problem then will be the limits and records due to a non workable taxation policy that the Feds use to resist change . . It may be a reasonable solution .. going to storefronts sure poses a problem . I would of loved to see patients be able to just distribute to each other as many here say is legal but Law Enforcement is having none of it whenever I inquire and most of use know jail is death with no accommodation's of all necessary medications or all needed adaptive equipment ..especially for those in severe pain . Pain is not a disabillity only ones mental reaction to it and the jail system could care less how much you suffer or if you die .. The caregiver system is no good alone but it opened the door and is the base of our State Constitutional Law regarding Cannabis ...dimnished people with no family members or close friends to be theirs often do not want or are rightly fearful of contact with strangers from the public feeling vulnerable - especially those dieing or who have immediate needs who cant wait to screen others or travel . I am afraid busts like this go with the territory now as we transcend toward legal medicinal access at all levels of Government . Most of the leaders here and founders were illegal growers in fact the whole movement has it's roots in it . The good ones help patients for next to nothing others have seed shops in Amsterdam or Vancouver making big bucks .... people think their heros but their not in my mind compared to those you never hear of and help people for next to nothing , the former are opportunists but yes money talks in Society .To be honest ., I have yet to speak to the most well intentioned patient that hasn't accidental crossed the line on weight who is using med ables which creates a illegal grow and multiple felonies that follow as judges vacate the acts protections in disregard to the plain language . I know I have been scared at times when harvesting a plant whose total wieght was over the limit though my material wasn't cured . Yet who was to say a raid wouldn't take place from currious officers and it would all show up in court with it dry saying I was over with cured plant material before I fed leaves to my worms keeping my flowers and adjusting weight . The reports in the press are causing exterme fear in patients like myself . . Have empathy for all you know this man was making oil for cancer patients and giving it away after a loved one died of cancer and he flipped out - who knows . Doubtful but we never know . This economy also is pretty bad and many people have no pensions or anything . Where do you think a 70 year old can get work with 25% unemployment in Detroit or Flint . I doubt many of us could work at McDonald's and its part time 30 hours without benefits for the majority - Good honest work but its very hard on anyone let alone a 70 year old . Expect this guy will do prison timie on your dime along with 48% of current inmates who are non violent drug offendors going in ...but what about when they come out ? I don't support large illegal grows for profit either but i can't hate him nor not feel empathy and disgust for the whole man made drug war that causes this activity and supports criminal activity . It's sad ......this guy isnt my hero but he more then likely is another misguided Victiim who made a poor choice to grow medicinal grade cannabis thinking the environment was less strict where in reality it is more strict with all the attention Cannabis is receiving . Obviously we will not know until court if there were others and there will be a medical claim . Whether or not it was going into a dispensory who knows but at least the money involved wasn't going out of the Country to Cartels and would of stayed in Michigan to circulate more then likely . You can bet medicinal cannabis and local grows are hurting international drug rings and helping contain money within our State economy .

Guest Medicinal Patient

I agree with gar and ed on this one. Can you imagine the man hours behind the scenes that we don't hear about being put in to help protect this law that I know you benefit from. We complain and complain about LE not following the SIMPLE laws but yet we want to break them and get away with it. We can't have it both ways. I for one can tell you I am glad they were investigating this illegal activity instead of scoping out legal pts and cgs and ruining the lives of law abiding citizens like Bob and Torey. Don't get me wrong I don't believe anyone should go to jail for plants but at the same time the law is the law. Dude had over 800 plants.

I don't understand why people continue to push the envelope. Our law needs to be protected so you can continue to legally give people mites. You don't think gramps story isn't going to be an example as to why it should be regulated to a few monitored dispensaries throughout the state? There goes your currently legal grow room. If gramps is a sick patient thats one thing but that grow is in no way all for personal needs. Great maybe he is a cg to a few other sick pts. But why step so far outside the law. You can't simply ask LE, PA, Courts, Politicians etc etc to start abiding the peoples law if you yourself aren't willing to follow those same laws.

This isn't about oh its a poor old guy about to head to the slammer. Because you and me both know we would give anything to see the likes of Sheriff Federspiels old azz in a cold cell. Yes we were all illegal at some point. You don't have to be anymore. So why do it? Why support it? When grampas actions directly affect you and you lose your grow rights you will be singing a different tune 1082. You want people to continue to fight for your rights to grow and keep our law intact all the while cheerleading the blatant disrespect of our laws. Jails are too overcrowded with all this bs as it is and its disgusting. But at some point people have to realize this law is in jeopardy thanks to this type of shyt.

There is nothing cool about being old and medicating. And giving this law and movement a black eye. You want to be cool, a badass, a hero, show up and fight for your rights and this law May 25th. Or potentially lose your rights to grow and probably going back underground and take the risk of sharing a future cell with gramps. How cool would that be! Thanks, I'll pass. I need this law. Yes it should be legalized someday. Where that will leave me I don't know. No money no way to grow. This LAW allows me the right and access to donated meds monthly. Therefor it needs to be protected. Yes, its personal.

And finally, I haven't read if he is in the program or not but if this old man is and had patients or had other cgs growing in the warehouse too well all their patients personal information has now been compromised thanks to the careless acts of this old azz man and his 800plus plants. And when they terrorize him into snitching well then there you have it. If this is being cool then please oh please let me not be. See you may 25th 2010. :sword:

http://detnews.com/article/20110428/METRO01/104280479/Wayne-Co.-sheriff-s-raid-nets-$1-million-in-pot-plants

Wayne Co. sheriff's raid nets $1 million in pot plants

Detroit— Wayne County Sheriff's deputies confiscated marijuana plants valued at $1 million in a raid of a building in an industrial area on the city's west side Thursday.

Sheriff Benny Napoleon said he received a tip about the warehouse in the 14000 block Birwood that the unidentified owner of the building had been running a marijuana growing facility "for quite some time." Deputies raided the building around 6 p.m., he said.

One man was arrested in the raid that netted more than 800 plants. Deputies did not release his name.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110428/METRO01/104280479/Wayne-Co.-sheriff-s-raid-nets-$1-million-in-pot-plants#ixzz1L8geUGDy

• 5 weeks later...

It was guys like this guy that kept michigan patients with meds before there was a med law. I remember reading an article about how most Cannabis Users are mostly self treating. Be it pain, anxaity, depression, whatever. I dont care if he had 800 plants, he could of had thousands like Rick Simpson had when he was busted, but Rick is a Hero.... funny world we live in.....

Some people like to follow laws, and then some people like to follow laws and cast stones down on those who don't. Curious how many of these stone cast types were growing before our current law? Seems like now there is a law they feel mighty comfortable with their feet planted on carpet rather than where the others' have been, in the grass.

Noone should be arrested for cannabis, patient or otherwise. The law is not threatened by such acts, these arrests do not impose doom on the law we have right now. Stop playing their games with such ideas. The law is threatened by the executive, legislative and judicial branches only, not public or constituent opinion over it, there is too much money involved for that.

And to think that this bust somehow creates a void that some caregiver is going to fill. HA Michigan CAN NOT grow enough supply for Michigan's demand right now. Let me repeat. MICHIGAN CAN NOT GROW ENOUGH CANNABIS FOR THE CURRENT DEMAND IN THE STATE. It never was able to while it was illegal, and it certainly is not able to with the increase of consumption, both medical and recreational. Years, number of growers, and a lot of learning curves will have to increase in order for our state to support itself.

If you used cannabis prior to the MMMA act, someone illegally grew it, or illegally imported it. If you used cannabis prior to the MMMA act and stand here now and condemn those for illegally growing it, using the law to stand behind your conviction......... you are a hypocrite.

Very happy this is only an online community, the smell of tar and feathers permeates through the text as it is.

If you used cannabis prior to the MMMA act, someone illegally grew it, or illegally imported it. If you used cannabis prior to the MMMA act and stand here now and condemn those for illegally growing it, using the law to stand behind your conviction......... you are a hypocrite.

Very happy this is only an online community, the smell of tar and feathers permeates through the text as it is.

I heard that!.....and agree.

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

So it's ok to break our newly formed grow laws that allow us legally to posses up to 72 wonderful plants because that's not enough? We expect(scream/protest) at the police to abide by the law but were exempt because it should be legal anyways? I don't care what people did prior to the law. Using that point is nothing more then a red herring. We can only deal with things issues that currently exist or "will" exist. Nothing can be done about the past unless your name is Marty McFly, what an attempt at a misleading comment.

This is a blatant misuse of the law we voted on. We didn't vote on legalization. We voted on one CG having 72 plants max for other people. How the hell do you expect the law to respect us if we don't make an attempt to observe the very same law?

Not shame on me....Shame on you. What a distorted perception of events, and hypocritical to say the very least.

*shakes head

EDIT: And gramps rooms don't even impress me that much. So they may be bigger then mine....They certainly aren't any cleaner or more organized then myself...Just another grower....on a much bigger scale...And all that matters in the end is I'm below my count and on the outside of the jailhouse. He was wayyyyyyy above his plant count (not that he was even allowed a "plant count"-Video said it wasn't for medical at all but giving as much leeway as I can with missing facts) and is on the inside of a jailhouse....Black and white to me..

And if it weren't for the illegal growers we as patients wouldn't of been able to score any marijuana to grow. Our law doesn't give us a legal way to secure our seeds or clones. So if your following this law how did you get your seeds or clones? Because its not written in there for anyone to sell them to patients or caregivers. You can't legally mail for them. Had to been illegally sold to you from someone who wasn't supposed to.

NOBODY SHOULD BE ARRESTED FOR CANNABIS <period>

I am confused how anyone could support the cops on this. We all medicated illegally before and we still do under Federal law. When the DEA kicks down your door you will have a lot more sympathy for grow house gramps.

Archived