Parolees And Medical Marijuana - Help

jrt101

Here's a problem for you.

A legal, card-carrying parolee is pulled over and receives a .1 over the limit and is given a dui. So the police take him to jail. The parolee's family is told that he cannot have his parole hold lifted until a full 21 days because the parole officer is conducting an "investigation" or "report." The family has the bond money ready to go. And at the arraignment, the judge told him he needs to go to AA three times a week. So ideally the parolee could be bonded out and getting the help he needs... BUT...

She (the parole officer) also states that the report will include his violation of parole of being in possession of marijuana and that's why it is taking so long. (Keep in mind parolee is a legal card-carrying medical marijuana patient and only had half an ounce in the car at the time and was not smoking it while driving.)

He is guilty of the drinking, that's not the issue. The issue here is how do we deal with two competing laws and is there anything we can do to help him???? The michigan medical marijuana law is very clear, but what about parolees???

Please let me know... this is real and going on now. Any information would be very very helpful!!

I agree. If you're on parole, you might as well consider yourself out of jail but still playing by their rules. Alcohol and any type of drug use (legal marijuana, prescription vicodin, etc) is in direct violation of the parole agreement, and they can treat you however they want.

You wont win a parole fight with a MMJ card. Regular citizens (no offense to parolees at all) have about a 50-50 shot at clearing their names legally when they get caught by the police. Parolees have about a 1-99 shot at clearing their name legally.

• 2 weeks later...

If the parolee was drinking and driving anyway they can spend that extra time in jail keep their idiotic donkey off the road, and I know people who were on parole even if you have a card you drop dirty you are screwed they can find all of this information from their PO and i believe they have to agree to it when going on parole so if your story is not about a hypothetical person its obviously about an idiot.

Thank you to those who actually gave good advice... and to the last one who decided to stand on a soapbox and tell me from so high up an opinion instead of giving advice... thank you for nothing. I am sure it is so difficult for you to have to deal with average people each and every day who make mistakes. I feel for you, I really do, but in the real world, people make mistakes and who are we, specifically YOU, to judge anyone? So please if you don't have any good advice, post it somewhere else, this topic was made to get help from people, not from someone who felt it necessary to waste some space so his opinion could be heard.

Thank you to those who actually gave good advice... and to the last one who decided to stand on a soapbox and tell me from so high up an opinion instead of giving advice... thank you for nothing. I am sure it is so difficult for you to have to deal with average people each and every day who make mistakes. I feel for you, I really do, but in the real world, people make mistakes and who are we, specifically YOU, to judge anyone? So please if you don't have any good advice, post it somewhere else, this topic was made to get help from people, not from someone who felt it necessary to waste some space so his opinion could be heard.

So you didnt ask about rules or what you are allowed to do and not allowed to do while on parole? If it was that important that you get your meds in you would have mentioned it to your PO, and a dui is a dui regardless thats a violation so if its your or a friend enjoy your time back in lock up.

Archived