Morels - Anyone Find Any?

I went out Saturday, 7 small ones were found. I am almost suprised, the 2 smallest ones, were the dark ones, the 5 bigger ones were the whites. I showed them to several people and took pics. I always believed the first to be around were the darker ones??? Anyhow, they are popping in the northern part of the state!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A false morel is easy to spot even by a novice mycologist....first the stem of a false morel is connected at the very top of the shroom while the stem of the true morel stops at the fruiting body ie head

Next if that doesnt help cut the shroom length wise and look for a hollow stem and cap...yum a true morel

If the inside is spongy looking toss immediately its a falsey

If you have any doubt or trepidation then you shouldnt eat what you pick

make a goulash and serve to your mother-in-law

just kidding send em to me and ill freeze dry em

dont let people scare you away from the delicious edible morel

it doesnt take a mycologist to spot em

grain fed cattle pies are the best to pick from

I ve been hunting shrooms my whole life I have my uncles to thank for my obsession, back in the 80's my uncle started the michigan mushroom hunters club it was alot of fun meeting up and hunting and enjoying the woods, with others who enjoy the same, i do alot of my pikng in wayne county area, found four small ones on sat going today to harvest. Im down for meeting up and having a day hunt if others are interested, ive done real well in lapeer game area pretty big area< just a thought!!

I ve been hunting shrooms my whole life I have my uncles to thank for my obsession, back in the 80's my uncle started the michigan mushroom hunters club it was alot of fun meeting up and hunting and enjoying the woods, with others who enjoy the same, i do alot of my pikng in wayne county area, found four small ones on sat going today to harvest. Im down for meeting up and having a day hunt if others are interested, ive done real well in lapeer game area pretty big area< just a thought!!

I would like to join in on the shroom hunt. Have never been, but generally I like anything that involves medicating and walking around in the woods. :thumbsu:

I have picked shrooms my whole life far more than I ever wanted to mostly up danny's way as I am a northern lower boy by birth. I have however not picked a single one since I was a junior in high school but I am thinking I am going to hit the woods for some maybe this year.

A false morel is easy to spot even by a novice mycologist....first the stem of a false morel is connected at the very top of the shroom while the stem of the true morel stops at the fruiting body ie head

Next if that doesnt help cut the shroom length wise and look for a hollow stem and cap...yum a true morel

If the inside is spongy looking toss immediately its a falsey

If you have any doubt or trepidation then you shouldnt eat what you pick

make a goulash and serve to your mother-in-law

just kidding send em to me and ill freeze dry em

dont let people scare you away from the delicious edible morel

it doesnt take a mycologist to spot em

grain fed cattle pies are the best to pick from

I made goulash w/ those too, for the roomies and myself :jig:

I found these on a walk last spring , the blossom form of Petoskey is rare and this one is very heavy and was found by me in a 200 + year old field stone pile .

gallery_18782_799_1070501.jpg

OD, I forgot to comment on this Petoskey... it is an amazing find!

Good to know I'm not the only rock hunter :D

She's a beauty!

Darn I just got back from a 4 mile hike and found nothing. I have had the worst luck so far this year. Has anyone in the south part of Michigan found any? I have talked to a few people and so far no one in my area have reported any. I really had my heart set on some this spring. Maybe I need to head north for the weekend?

Archived