Clarify The Medical Marijuana Law

Nearly everyone who has contact with the medial marijuana law passed by voters in 2008 agrees it is a mess.

Towns don't have a clear picture of what is allowed or not allowed under the law, and so have taken a stand that they don't want anything to do with pot in their communities, legal or not. That has led them to refuse to allow dispensaries to operate within their boundaries, which in turn has prompted lawsuits against the communities by the American Civil Liberties Union.

Locally, Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills have been sued by the ACLU for violating patients' rights in they have flatly outlawed dispensaries within their borders. Their argument is that marijuana is still considered illegal by the federal government, and federal law trumps local law. While that is true, the federal government has said it has no interest in pursing marijuana violations.

Bloomfield Township is facing a separate lawsuit filed by some people who object to its policy of registering medical marijuana users.

Sorting out who is right is going to be a challenge for the courts. Better yet is a clarification of how the law can safely be implemented and marijuana handled safely.

People in need of the medical benefits marijuana can provide deserve to have access to the drug. That's the basic foundation to work with. Controlling and regulating marijuana operations is essential. Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills have reacted to the law in the way they have because they fear the legalization of the drug will open the door to illegal activities.

Drugs can be devastating to a community and must be controlled carefully, but that has to be balanced by the genuine medical benefits of marijuana. Alcohol is a powerful drug as well, yet it has become a fundamental part of our culture. It does have detrimental affects on our society but has not undermined it.

There is no reason to believe marijuana can't be handled in the same manner. The question is how.

A public discussion of the marijuana issue will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday, May 5, in Bloomfield Township Hall, 4200 Telegraph.

Discussing the issue will be a panel made up of Neil Rockind, an attorney and member of Marijuana Patients Organization and Sensible Michigan; Dave Crist, attorney for the city of Ferndale; Jan Roncelli, Bloomfield Township clerk; and Beth Hand, head of Narcotics for the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office.

It's not likely the controversy over medical marijuana will be resolved at this meeting, but it's a start.

http://www.hometownlife.com/article/20110424/OPINION/104240322

Guest knucklehead bob

A public discussion of the marijuana issue will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday, May 5, in Bloomfield Township Hall, 4200 Telegraph.

Discussing the issue will be a panel made up of Neil Rockind, an attorney and member of Marijuana Patients Organization and Sensible Michigan; Dave Crist, attorney for the city of Ferndale; Jan Roncelli, Bloomfield Township clerk; and Beth Hand, head of Narcotics for the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office.

It's not likely the controversy over medical marijuana will be resolved at this meeting, but it's a start.

http://www.hometownl...INION/104240322

I was talking with a friend about some of the things that people have been charged with when they were "outside the law".

I don't feel I should have to keep my roaches under lock down, but I do!

Sure would like to join you, but as always the Karmic Powers seem to always make me unavailable when these things happen in Oakland County..lol Sure is pretty out there though.

Thanks Bob, for all you do.

Archived