Help Me Diagnose This Plant Problem Please

Sinsemillaplease

The lower leaves of my GDP mother have brownish spots between the veins. The plant is almost 4 weeks old (since receiving it as a rooted clone). It looks entirely healthy above the lowest leaf set. It's in Pro-Mix BX and its been fed 400 ppm SensiGrow A+B (according to the bottle, not measured) twice since the end of week 2. I don't want to prime anyone with more information than that but if you need more just ask. Please help if you can... I don't want to make the wrong decision and cause additional stress.

th_DSCN0485.jpg

th_DSCN0487.jpg

th_DSCN0488.jpg

th_DSCN0490.jpg

th_DSCN0491.jpg

th_DSCN0492.jpg

Check out this link maybe it can help http://www.greenmanspage.com/guides/plant_abuse.html

Read that about 15 times before I ever started growing. Very helpful... but doesn't help me in a definitive manner this time. I used it to whittle the possibilities down to nute burn, calcium def and manganese.... along with these two links:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688&page=1&pp=15

http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/246040-deficency-nute-burn-pics.html

I'm totally new to growing, so I don't know much, but. . .

I also use ProMix (BX) and the SensiGrow system. I've fed every single watering (by recommendation from a trusted grow buddy), and my plants have been healthy through every phase. Never any nute burn whatsoever.

Are you adding anything else to the Sensi A/B??

Are those leaves the original ones from the cutting? Meaning old leaves from the mother? I always lose the leaves which came from the mother. Usually in different ways for different strains but I always lose them eventually unless I put the clone in to soil. But any clones that go into hydro I always lose those leaves. The new growth leaves in my case are always fine. I assumed in my case that those leaves were sacrificed by the plant for energy to root and take hold in it's new environment while it's on low nutes. Not saying for sure this is your problem but just an idea.

The old leaves from the mother are already gone. I'm not adding anything to SensiGrow A+B. Les you must have some heavy feeding strains. If I fed my strawberry haze every watering according to the bottles amounts they would all be suffering severe toxicity. It could be a low ph issue. Pro-Mix starts out at 5.5... possibly lower. I didn't pH last feeding. I guesstimated... which had been working according to my spot checks, but it's totally possible that I screwed up. If I screwed up, it would be too low most definitely. It could not have been anywhere above 7.

I haven't bought this filter yet so I'm using water from tap. I normally pH to 7 until the lime in the pro-mix starts to take effect and then lower til I get to around 6.5. I can't get more accurate... or be very accurate at all with the test reagent I'm using. I need a good Hanna pH/EC/TDS meter but can't afford it right now.

What light is she under? Does the lower foliage get sufficient light?

How often do you water / feed? Is the soil constantly damp, or is it dry between waters?

Is there good air circulation around the plant?

As already mentioned, low ph could also be the issue. In my personal experience, low ph lockout will cause the leaves to fold in, or curl in on themselves, along with leaf discoloration similar to the pics you posted.

What light is she under? Does the lower foliage get sufficient light?

How often do you water / feed? Is the soil constantly damp, or is it dry between waters?

Is there good air circulation around the plant?

As already mentioned, low ph could also be the issue. In my personal experience, low ph lockout will cause the leaves to fold in, or curl in on themselves, along with leaf discoloration similar to the pics you posted.

400 watt MH, lower foliage gets some light, no over watering there are wet and dry periods, constant good air flow. I feed every other watering and watering is about every 3 days.

I used tap water for a long time (too long) and had similar issues thinking it was anything and everything and even tried all the remedies associated with the different diagnosis'. Once I finally purchased an RO filter it changed my entire grow. Right now you are growing in a well buffered medium using a reasonable amount of nutes but the one thing you have no control over is the, flouride, chlorine, and all the additives in your tap water. Get the filter before you start adding more of this or changing that, especially if you are following proper nute schedule feedings. Get the filter going and then you will know if it is something that you are doing or just the 100ppm water pouring out of the tap.

I used tap water for a long time (too long) and had similar issues thinking it was anything and everything and even tried all the remedies associated with the different diagnosis'. Once I finally purchased an RO filter it changed my entire grow. Right now you are growing in a well buffered medium using a reasonable amount of nutes but the one thing you have no control over is the, flouride, chlorine, and all the additives in your tap water. Get the filter before you start adding more of this or changing that, especially if you are following proper nute schedule feedings. Get the filter going and then you will know if it is something that you are doing or just the 100ppm water pouring out of the tap.

That's unfortunate because I really can't spare the money right now. Guess I'll have to buy distilled til then. I'll probably keep rolling with tap in my flowering plants since they're doing fine.

Looks like a fungus issue due to root damage caused by low ph .Nute burn is not usually so dominant on the bottom . but ph issue are when low and they are at the top when the ph is high intitially this is of course as they spread like mad when its not taken care of .. You mentioned little in details . What ph was your last feed at of this nute at 400 ppm ? RO water ,tap or well ?

Looks like you had a low ph last feed by the pictures and the symptoms .. OD

Odawadanny has the real answer, don't let it get lost in the static. When you have less than optimum water, add fertilizer more than once to a pot, or don't have an organized plan for soil construction there is an absolute necessity for accurate ph monitoring.

Have you caught some water coming out the bottom of the pot and pH tested it? Find out what the pH of your soil is and adjust accordingly. Flush your pots with distilled water and get the soil pH correct (6-7).

Tap water can cause serious issues if it is hard (calcium, lime, iron, etc.). Your idea of using distilled water will work. I have used softened tap water for over 1 year. I was concerned about the sodium levels in the soft water so I started using potassium chloride to regenerate the softener. I have had no water related issues with my plants - at least from what I can tell. They are healthy looking so it must be alright.

I would have to agree with ODAWADANNY's hypothesis as well. The irregular pattern suggests some sort of pest or microbial attack, and doesn't seem like nutrient burn. I've had some plants with nutrient burn, and usually the first sign is a curling of leaf tips and dark color caused by nitrogen toxicity.

Have you caught some water coming out the bottom of the pot and pH tested it? Find out what the pH of your soil is and adjust accordingly. Flush your pots with distilled water and get the soil pH correct (6-7).

Tap water can cause serious issues if it is hard (calcium, lime, iron, etc.). Your idea of using distilled water will work. I have used softened tap water for over 1 year. I was concerned about the sodium levels in the soft water so I started using potassium chloride to regenerate the softener. I have had no water related issues with my plants - at least from what I can tell. They are healthy looking so it must be alright.

I've seen the progression of pro-mix under my feeding schedule so I have been less than diligent about checking runoff. I know its between 5 and 6.... but that's about it... obviously 5 to 6 is a huge difference in pH. That was fine for the plants I have in flower but that was when I checked to make sure the water was a 6.5-7 until lime brought the pro-mix up some. The proper range in my case isn't 6-7 its 5.5-6.5.

I'm fairly certain its the result of low pH watering in addition to high ppm water from tap complicating the issue. I should know soon... it will need watering tonight. If nothing bad happens after that for a week, I'll feel much better about it.

Archived