Being an MS sufferer myself, I suggest a heavy Indica. A landrace Indica if you can get it, but at the very least 80/20 will provide some relief. I have used Chemo, Sharksbreath, OG Kush #18, BuKu, all with good results. The Sharksbreath and OG #18 providing the best relief so far. Hash made from Apollo 13 also provides good relief from the horrible cramping.

Good luck to you.

Sativas. I am working with a MS patient bound in a wheelchair. She says my Wonder Haze is the best for muscle tension and tremors. Of course sativa is very energetic compared to indicas, and contrary to popular belief - sativas can work on pain too.

Check out many strains, make sure you explore both indicas and sativas. Most like to have both - "day time" and "night time" meds.

-DN

• 3 months later...

I have MS also. The thing about MS is that there is no standard treatment, many MS patients may have lesions in the same area and have it affect them in different ways. My type of MS is RR (relapsing remitting). This means I have occasional exacerbations and after it calms down, there are lingering effects. My biggest issues on a day to day basis are severe leg pain and fatigue. I explain my fatigue as twofold. Not only is it a worn out sleep deprived feeling, but it's also a muscle fatigue. For instance, writing this somewhat short post? I've already had to stop 3 times and rest my arms. Same thing with my legs, too much standing or walking weakens them to the point of having to either sit down or stop what I'm doing before my legs go totally numb. Most people think of fatigue as just being tired. But it's also a muscle problem.

As for MS drugs to stop the exacerbations, there are 3 injectable meds that I have been on since 1998. Avonex, Copaxone and Betaseron. I had to stop the Avonex because it was causing major depression and it just wasn't working, at all. I then went on to Copaxone, which worked good at slowing down the exacerbations. But I started developing a reaction to it, kind of like an instant panic attack the minute after I injected it. So now I've been on the Betaseron for about 5 years and it seems to have slowed down the attacks without too many side effects, just a plain lousy feeling.

Some of these drugs work for MS patients while others don't work as well. And the lingering effects from an exacerbation don't go away. It's actually nerve damage and they don't repair themselves. My Neuro had me on Provigil for the fatigue (it stopped working about 2 years ago) and she has me on Ultram (Tramadol) for the leg pain. And that med only works about 1/3 of the time. That's the reason she signed my MM paperwork, she has seen it help countless patients. And I also refuse to go on any heavy narcotic.

Anyway, this was a long winded post just to say try different strains to see which ones work for each problem. We may find one that works for one person won't help the next person, but another strain may do the trick.

Bruce

There are two primary cannabinoids that cause an "up" effect.

One is THCV. The other is CBD.

Either one of these can add the "up" effect to cannabis.

THCV shortens the THC effect. It causes the THC to punch through. A spike of effect.

CBD extends the THC effect. It softens the THC impact. It is very important to MS patients. As demonstrated by GW Pharmaceuticals.

There are two primary cannabinoids that cause an "up" effect.

One is THCV. The other is CBD.

Either one of these can add the "up" effect to cannabis.

THCV shortens the THC effect. It causes the THC to punch through. A spike of effect.

CBD extends the THC effect. It softens the THC impact. It is very important to MS patients. As demonstrated by GW Pharmaceuticals.

Thanks for the info.

Would you mind if I were to ask a few questions?

By the "up effect" do you mean the run-down tired fatigue associated with MS?

How about the muscle fatigue?

And I'm sorry but I'm new here. Regulars here and others may laugh, but I have NO idea what THCV or CBD stand for.

I understand what you're saying about each but I just don't understand which strain you mean.

On a side note, I'm more than amazed at this small MS discussion thread. I would think there would be a very big discussion forum, just on MS.

Is MM being promoted as being helpful for it? I belong to an MS newsgroup from people around the world. And almost everyone uses MM, to a certain degree.

Thanks for the info.

And I'm sorry but I'm new here. Regulars here and others may laugh, but I have NO idea what THCV or CBD stand for.

I understand what you're saying about each but I just don't understand which strain you mean.

On a side note, I'm more than amazed at this small MS discussion thread. I would think there would be a very big discussion forum, just on MS.

Is MM being promoted as being helpful for it? I belong to an MS newsgroup from people around the world. And almost everyone uses MM, to a certain degree.

Up as in stimulant. CBD could function as a replacement for amphetamines for ADD patients.

GW Pharm. has shown the world about CBD combined with THC for MS patients.

http://www.gwpharm.co.uk/Sativex.aspx

THCV has not been shown, as well, to have benefit for the MS patient. It may not have benefit for them. Don't know about that one.

THCV also functions, somewhat, as a stimulant.

CBD reduces anxiety. THCV increased it.

Most people assume that CBD is linked with Indica strains. I might be inclined to think it may be more toward the Sativa strains. CBD is hard to pinpoint.

I have MS as well and the free leonard was the best ive had for it,followed by Upstate and the super silver haze and blue berry are good during the day for me but ms is different for every1 that has it and what works well for one doesnt always work as well for another so id sample and run dif strains and try to find 2-3 strains to run that work well for your patient.Best of luck ive been on steroids all week and the best part of the day is when I get to put my legs up and have a smoke to wind down-If you want to start a MS thread ill visit it on a normal basis to share what ive learned and my stories on it,just dont want to run the thread so send a pm my way if anybody does one-thanks

Sativas. I am working with a MS patient bound in a wheelchair. She says my Wonder Haze is the best for muscle tension and tremors. Of course sativa is very energetic compared to indicas, and contrary to popular belief - sativas can work on pain too.

Check out many strains, make sure you explore both indicas and sativas. Most like to have both - "day time" and "night time" meds.

-DN

I agree with DN completely - Sativas all the way during the day to keep you 'up' and clear. And my experience with one of the predominately sativa hybrids I raise - the Apollo 11 - is that it is very potent pain control without reducing motivation.

But I also use heavy Indicas late in the evening to improve the quality and duration of sleep. At least 6 solid hours. I sleep better when I'm not in pain. :rolleyes:

I have MS as well and the free leonard was the best ive had for it,followed by Upstate and the super silver haze and blue berry are good during the day for me but ms is different for every1 that has it and what works well for one doesnt always work as well for another so id sample and run dif strains and try to find 2-3 strains to run that work well for your patient.Best of luck ive been on steroids all week and the best part of the day is when I get to put my legs up and have a smoke to wind down-If you want to start a MS thread ill visit it on a normal basis to share what ive learned and my stories on it,just dont want to run the thread so send a pm my way if anybody does one-thanks

Well, I thought this already was an MS thread and which meds work best. If the mods don't want us discussing our problems with MS, I guess they could let us know.

Many people who know nothing about MS just don't understand. To look at me, it looks like I'm healthy. I've even had comments made to me by relatives like "You look fine to me" Also, since I can only walk short distances, I have a handicap license plate. I've had a couple people thru the years make comments to me about that. People can be pretty ignorant when dealing with something (someone) they don't understand.

As for steroids, I've been on the I.V. steroids several times and also the pill form about 5 times (Prednisone). They are supposed to help stop the inflammation during an exacerbation. The first couple of times I had to go on them, I felt so good that I felt like I could run a marathon. : ) But the last few times I was on them, I hardly noticed. One thing about them for me was a problem sleeping. They really make it hard to sleep and the doctor gave me some pills for that. And food? I ate everything in sight! It's lucky I didn't gain 20 lbs.

Which form of MS have you been told you have, if you don't mind me asking? Also, which injectable meds are you on or have been on? Betaseron seems to be working for me, slowing down the exacerbations. But Avonex or Copaxone work better for others. It really is a strange disease.

As for steroids, I've been on the I.V. steroids several times and also the pill form about 5 times (Prednisone). They are supposed to help stop the inflammation during an exacerbation.

My topical oil has a strong anti inflammation property. And it seems to breach the blood brain barrier.

Seems to tone down spasms in seconds.

I've applied it to the head and spine of several MS patients.

Even in emergency rooms of hospitals.

Topical oil and then about 300mg of a good Simpson oil. Knocks the attack on it's but in short order.

I have rrms as of now,been doing the steroids about every 3-5 months over last 2 years and been on copaxone for a year and a half,mainly amino acids but there are supplements that can help but they end up costing alot of money as most are not prescriptions,id reccomend GABA,LYSINE and a strong vitamin B complex including niacin daily as well as 5000 IU of vitamin D daily,calcium,magnesium ,zinc pills at night to help settle the nerves and lots of antioxidents as my approach as of now.I have looked into other things as well but just alot of info out there and tried dif things to where it is a bit more prefictable and somewhat controllable if you know the signs of a flare up and beat it down with the steroids before it takes hold but ya the no sleep thing really is the worst part and the weight gain is a double negative but id rather not be floored out for a month without them so im happy i can take them if i need to.

• 6 months later...

Hi this is quite an older post and I hope your friend has found some relief. I have MS and the best MM I have found to keep you uplifted and fight pain is Mr. Nice Guy. The next best for day time use is Cali dream and Funky monkey. These three help fight the pain enough I can get through the day and help with the fatigue, they do not make me sleepy like a lot of MM does. I am a light weight and it doesn't take much for me to get relief but it does take a really good MM to do that.

For night time use to help me sleep and relieve restless legs, muscle cramps, pain, etc. is a good Kush. Basically as someone else had mentioned a good strain of Indica for night time use is the best and a high sativa/ indica mix for the day time.

Thanks for the info.

CBD is cannabidiol. THCV is technohydrocannibalvelocity (or something :lol:) They are cannabinoids like THC but with different properties. CBD has been shown to be effective in treating MS. High CBD plants are rare but I believe certain clones will be widely available soon.

Just noticed this post was from August. -_-

Archived