Medical Marihuana Zoning Ordinance To Take Effect

Medical marihuana zoning ordinance to take effect

http://abclocal.go.c...ocal&id=8111776

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

OWOSSO (WJRT) -- (05/04/11) -- Owosso's tougher medical marihuana zoning ordinance is set to take effect this Sunday.

The ordinance comes after months of controversy.

Recently, several dispensaries have opened their doors in Owosso and the new ordinance restricts where they can do business.

"It's really become more contentious just in the last 6 months despite the fact that the communities were working on it in some form to get here, the demand is definitely here hense some of the moratoriums you see out in the public."

Under the new ordinance, medical marihuana dispensaries and grow facilities must be 1,000 feet away from any school or public park and any other medical marihuana facility.

The facility also must be at least 500 feet from any church, daycare or library.

In April, some in the community were outraged when '21 Herbal' opened across from St. Paul Catholic Church and School. It's now closed and other dispensary owners we spoke with are OK with the ordinance.

"We've been trying to work with the city and we did a lot of research before we started this business and the city's been great working with us as a team, so it's a good thing," said dispensary owner Dawn Marquis.

Also in the ordinance, grow facilities must also be in an industrial district.

Michael A. Komorn

Attorney and Counselor

Law Office of Michael A. Komorn

3000 Town Center, Suite, 1800

Southfield, MI 48075

800-656-3557 (Toll Free)

248-351-2200 (Office)

248-357-2550 (Phone)

248-351-2211 (Fax)

Email: michael@komornlaw.com

Check out our Radio show:

http://www.blogtalkr...lanetgreentrees

NEW CALL IN NUMBER: (347) 326-9626

Live Every Wednesday 8-10:00p.m.

PLANET GREENTREES

w/ Attorney Michael Komorn

The most relevant radio talk show for the Michigan Medical Marijuana Community. PERIOD.

If you have a medical marihuana question or comment, please email them to me, or leave them on the forum for the MMMA, and I will try to answer them live on the air.

http://www.blogtalkr...lanetgreentrees

PLANET GREENTREES Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

Attorney Michael Komorn’ practice specializes in Medical Marihuana representation. He is a board member with the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association (MMMA), a nonprofit patient advocacy group with over 20,000 members, which advocates for medical marihuana patients, and caregiver rights. He is also an experienced defense attorney successfully representing many wrongfully accused medical marihuana patients and caregivers. He is also the founder of Greentrees of Detroit, a medical marihuana community center that offers patient certification, legal consultation, cannabis education, business development, and caregiver’s classes.

A just-approved rider to the law states you must locate your store out of reach of the tax man.

And the reason for no locating near churches is because gas is so cheap there's no longer a need to combine the parents picking up meds while dropping the kids off for Sunday School and anyway, the priest gets his medication from finishing the wine--nobody volounteered to help dog to the rectory if he had toked too.

Shame on me. I'm bad, I'm real bad.

Maybe it’s just me, but if I were to open a dispensary, I would not open in an area that would present a “drug free zone” issue. You can almost count on a business in such an area would be a problem. A “drug free area” includes schools (primary & secondary), churches, libraries, rec centers, playfields, and any area designed to attract people under the age of 18. I would also look at the location restrictions placed on liquor stores. Sometimes it pays to think in the really long term, could be a saver of time and money.

Yet im sure a liquor store across the street from a church would be acceptable right council members ? :unsure:

Liquor stores, convenience stores that sell beer and "K2", pharmacies - they all have that "socially acceptable" veneer. Hey, we can all buy beer before 12:00 on Sundays now! No need to traipse out on Saturday night to get that "one before Church". Why aren't people able to see the hypocrisy in all this?

Yet im sure a liquor store across the street from a church would be acceptable right council members ? :unsure:

Heck, you could open a Satanist bookstore/church called "Satan is Lord" directly across the street from any church, synagogue, or mosque, and there aint nothing no City council could do about it.

That's all freedom on speech and religion.

Hypocrisy?

You're soaking in it...

Archived