Mmj And Prostate Cancer Surgery

This post will be of particular interest to men who have had a radical prostatectomy before you were 65 !!!

It looks live you can still die of Prostate Cancer !!!!

I had mine twelve years ago at the age of 60. My PSAs have been near zero all this time.

I asked my oncologist if I were home free TOTALLY.

The answer is "NO". "There may be some cancer cells which we missed ".

Here is a study on this issue out of Sweden. Note that there are differences in how the prostate cancer is detected there.

www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20110505/Prostate-cancer-surgery-110505/

"Men under 65 with early prostate cancer had better survival odds if they had surgery right away instead of waiting for treatment only if their cancer got worse, a study in Sweden found.

That was true even for tumours thought to be low-risk because they didn't look very aggressive under a microscope.

Doctors have long debated whether and how to treat such early cases, and the study shows "there clearly is a benefit to getting the cancer out in the younger population," said Dr. Richard Greenberg, urology chief at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia.......

Starting in 1989, nearly 700 men under 75 were assigned to have surgery right away or to be monitored and treated if their cancer got worse. Most were having symptoms -- urinary problems, blood in the urine or semen, trouble getting an erection, or pain in the lower back, hips or upper thighs.

After about 13 years of follow-up, there were fewer deaths among those who had surgery " but of the 350 men who had the surgery, 55 or about 16 % of them died of Prostate cancer within 13 years of their surgery.

I am 12 years post surgery and shortly moving into my 13th year !!

Now I know that we do our surgeries much earlier here in the USA so I believe that our chances of staying cancer free are bettert that those in Europe but my Oncologist said to me he could "Never Say Never".

I do not want to take a chance.

My family has a history of frequent breast cancer in women due to the Braca 2 gene...and the males who carry it are at higher risk for prostate cancer ! That is probably why I got it !

"Men with harmful BRCA1 mutations also have an increased risk of breast cancer and, possibly, of pancreatic cancer, testicular cancer, and early-onset prostate cancer. However, male breast cancer, pancreatic cancer, and prostate cancer appear to be more strongly associated with BRCA2 gene mutations (2–4)."

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/BRCA

We know that MMJ can stop the spread of aggressive breast cancers-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNerRVJklsg

So I suggest that those of us who survived a Radical Prostatectomy might want to check out the data...and maybe take a toke !!

Does anyone have data on which strains are likely to be the most useful ?

I hope its a Sativa !!!

dr. Jinx

PS: I did not realize that this BRACA gene is also associated with higher rates of testicular and pancreatic cancer... Wait till I bring this to the attention of my Wine-Conniseur buddies !!!!

The Only Data that I have is from patients that we provided for this past year are just results from there treatments and since it takes large quantiles of cannabis to make the oil to meet a cancer patients needs and a lot was accomplished from donations we used both sativa and indica because supply is short and its has only been by the Grace of God and with caring donations from others that we have been able meet he needs and give an uninterrupted supply to patients that we already assisted but have shown success with indica having a more sedative affect.

Archived