States Rights - Lawmaker Moves To Give States The Power To Void Federal Laws - (Mm!)

The size and power of the Federal Government has been growing exponentially, and the 10th ammendment largely forgotten, so this is great news. I just wonder how many reps and senators are willing to give up any of their power. I'll go out on a limb here and make a prediction. If this gets any traction at all, it will be because the right pushes for it, as this goes against liberal ideology. I don't think it's a coincidence that it will be introduced by a repub from Utah.

The size and power of the Federal Government has been growing exponentially, and the 10th ammendment largely forgotten, so this is great news. I just wonder how many reps and senators are willing to give up any of their power. I'll go out on a limb here and make a prediction. If this gets any traction at all, it will be because the right pushes for it, as this goes against liberal ideology. I don't think it's a coincidence that it will be introduced by a repub from Utah.

In no way does the repeal amendment go against liberal ideology. :rolleyes:

Be careful what you wish for. State's rights were used in the arguments against abolition, causing Americans to butcher each other, and continued till the Civil Rights bill of 1964 granted some statutory protection of basic rights. Many states did not permit women to vote, requiring the nineteenth amendment. Even now, the republitards are trying to roll back the rights and priviledges granted in every socially progressive program instituted by the Federal Government. Who here wants to give up their right to vote if our legislature were to follow Texas and Oklahoma, both of which would, if given half a chance, rescind minority voting rights, if even in state and local elections? States' rights are being used to undermine what the civilized world has given us.

I recognize the tension between the tenth amendment and the supremacy clause that keeps us on our toes. We do have better communication media now than at any other time in our history, making it more possible for democratic conversation to occur. That will largely determine how these issues are determined. Please do not think for a minute that the states are so wise or compassionate that they will look after our interests. And neither should anyone expect the feds to do the same. We are the government, and if we do not demand our due, then someone else will certainly step up to see that they get theirs.

By all means. Use the States' Rights argument regarding mj use. But get behind and continue to work with the federal moves to legislate on our behalf that are going nowhere in Congress.

Be careful what you wish for. State's rights were used in the arguments against abolition, causing Americans to butcher each other, and continued till the Civil Rights bill of 1964 granted some statutory protection of basic rights. Many states did not permit women to vote, requiring the nineteenth amendment. Even now, the republitards are trying to roll back the rights and priviledges granted in every socially progressive program instituted by the Federal Government. Who here wants to give up their right to vote if our legislature were to follow Texas and Oklahoma, both of which would, if given half a chance, rescind minority voting rights, if even in state and local elections? States' rights are being used to undermine what the civilized world has given us.

I recognize the tension between the tenth amendment and the supremacy clause that keeps us on our toes. We do have better communication media now than at any other time in our history, making it more possible for democratic conversation to occur. That will largely determine how these issues are determined. Please do not think for a minute that the states are so wise or compassionate that they will look after our interests. And neither should anyone expect the feds to do the same. We are the government, and if we do not demand our due, then someone else will certainly step up to see that they get theirs.

By all means. Use the States' Rights argument regarding mj use. But get behind and continue to work with the federal moves to legislate on our behalf that are going nowhere in Congress.

I second the "Be careful what you wish for" admonition. Republicans are pushing for this. Republicans are not friends of medical marijuana users. You may think that this is a way to find relief from the Feds on the marijuana front, but any relief will be only temporary. They will soon find a way to put a damper on your hopes. A strong federal government, working in the best interests of the majority of its citizens is the only way to prevent rogue politicians from becoming dictators in their own states. Look at Rick Perry in Texas. He advocates secession for his state, and then whines when the federal government won't give him emergency money for wild fire damage. What a hypocrite! Can Texans really be that stupid? George Bush is from Texas though.....

I thought Bush was from someplace else but moved to Texas. Anyway, I still believe the states should have the right to carry out their own laws, but where does that fine line begin and end, like with the immigration issue in AZ? I don't have the answer, that's for sure on that one. It seems to me, the struggle between state and fed needs to be settled once and for all. It's a power struggle, and where there's lust for power, there's always trouble, but WE The PEOPLE must also have power, the power, THE RIGHT, to choose what we feel is best for us. NO ONE has the right to dictate how we heal ourselves. When govt intrudes in our personal lives, it's time to defend ourselves. I'm so tired of always being on the defense. I've known this struggle all my life, this is no stranger to me, yet this battle I choose to fight, many others, I did not. I could've stayed out of this, but it's not just about MM, it includes other natural remedies. I could've accepted their poisons and kept quiet, but something deep inside me said NO. I may've been comfortable staying off the battlefield, but I was not comfortable within myself when my Intuition wouldn't leave me alone. Even if I had accepted their way, for myself, I still feel it's NOT their place to force everyone to take whatever they're pushing. In fact, I've occasionally seen that the drugs they're putting out had been described in such a way as to leave out how dangerous they really are, just so doctors would be compelled to prescribe them! It doesn't surprise me, they're manipulating data again. Nothing new there. Now we see the recalls and lawsuits happening. But I've gone off topic so I'll stop here and conclude by saying as I stated earlier, state should have rights. It's sad that whenever The People try to exercise their rights, someone will be there waiting to manipulate that to the aggressors' advantage. The balance of power is so off center. :(

Sincerely, Sb

The balance of power is clearly in the hands of the people.

The problem is that "we the people" have been taught we simply must play according to whatever rules they toss out. That there is no other option.

This is not true. "We the people" have the ultimate power.

And "they" clearly are not happy about that. Everything that could be done to keep "we the people" in the dark about our power has been done.

The only way this "game" keeps going is if "we the people" accept their "game" as our own.

We gave them an order. In the form of a law they are REQUIRED to obey. Some of "them" believe it is their moral responsibility to ignore "we the people."

"We" don't have to play according to "their" rules.

The true power of "we the people" is in the jury room.

"They" tell us we must convict. That is a pure lie.

If you are on a jury, vote not guilty in ANY marijuana case.

Pull their plug.

Stop CONVICTING patients. The real power is in OUR hands.

Let's wait and see how many liberals embrace this. Wanna bet a nickle? :P

Go back to your original statement. You said it disagreed with liberal ideology. I never would've disagreed with you if you had said that liberal pundits and politicians would not embrace this. I agree. They are currently not embracing it. That's why I said, "why aren't any of my Democratic representatives etc..."

Democratic voters and the overall modern liberal ideology are not so beholden to partisan politics... at least not in their minds (we all know what happens in the booth). Neither liberal nor conservative ideology would oppose returning constitutionally based sovereignty to the states... greedy, power-craze politicians on the other hand...

You really have to say exactly what you mean on the internet... :))

Archived