Townships Get Threatening Letters From Feds!

Dizledot

From: From: W.FaheyTo: MTA Posted: 5/23/2011 12:01:00 PM Subject: Medical Marihuana, liability for creating statues Message: This message has been cross posted to the following Forums: Planning and Zoning and MTA Community .

-------------------------------------------

Woody,

You have put your finger on one of the central issues presented by the poorly-conceived medical marijuana legislation our state's voters approved in 2008. When federal criminal law so clearly prohibits the sale of marijuana for any purpose, how does the state justify allowing it for any purpose? (Technically, the state law does not "allow" the sale of marijuana. It just says that someone cannot be prosecuted in state court for violating state drug laws if they comply with the requirements of the 2008 state medical marijuana law. This might be a fine point for non-lawyers, but there is a legal difference.)

The US Attorney General's office initially indicated in October 2009 that it would not focus its limited resources on prosecuting seriously ill individuals who use marijuana as part of medically recommended treatment. Unfortunately, this only emboldened many unscrupulous individuals in using "medical marijuana" as a thin cover for the marketing of marijuana for recreational drug abuse. As a result, in the last month, an increasing number of federal prosecutors have written to governors of states with medical marijuana laws, advising them that the federal law prohibits the sale of marijuana, among other related offenses.

In particular, the US Attorney for the Eastern District of Washington wrote last month to the Washington State Governor, advising that: "In addition, state employees who conducted activities mandated by the Washington legislative proposals [for medical marijuana] would not be immune from liability under the [Controlled Substances Act.]" This is the same analysis the group that wrote you is using to put pressure on government officials who are attempting to implement marijuana regulations that permit some degree of marijuana production and sales.

Obviously, this tension between federal law and state law places local officials in a classic "no-win" position. Michigan's voters left behind a serious mess when they approved medical marijuana in 2008, and the state has yet to clean it up. In my opinion, your Township should be commended for stepping in and trying to find a way to limit the abuses that the current state law invites. But until a court finally resolves the controvery (actually, it will take multiple courts, since so many things are wrong with the 2008 law), you need some pragmatic guidance.

1. Doing nothing is not an option. If you do nothing, that is the surest way to invite an explosion of marijuana "dispensaries" into your township.

2. Zoning regulations such as you propose are an essential step. If the state law is eventually held to prevail over federal law, those zoning regulations will be in place to limit as far as legally possible the location, time and manner of marijuana sales and marketing within your township.

3. You should also consider adopting a local police power ordinance (outside the zoning ordinance) that recognizes and affirms the prohibitions that still exist under federal (and to some extent state) law. There are a number of communities that have done this, and their ordinances are currently being tested in the courts, along with everything else. By adopting such an ordinance in your own township, in addition to a zoning ordinance, you make it less likely that your township will become the refuge of the area's drug dealers.

Bill Fahey

William K. Fahey, Township Attorney

Fahey Schultz Burzych Rhodes PLC,

Your Township Attorneys

4151 Okemos Road

Okemos, MI 48864

Direct Dial: (517) 381-3150

Facsimile: (517) 381-3170

Cell: (517) 974-2250

wfahey(at)fsblawyers.com

www.fsblawyers.com

Fahey Schultz Burzych Rhodes PLC, Your Township Attorneys, is a Michigan law firm specializing in the representation of Michigan townships. This email highlights specific areas of law, and is not legal advice. The reader should consult an attorney to determine how the information applies to any specific situation.

We have been working towards zoning and licensing regs for Medical Marihuana, and are being guided by Hubbard Law of Lansing. Our board receivied an email from a national organization for Drug Free Schools last Friday. The correspondence threatened our board with the possibility of procecution by the Feds. I had raised this question prior to receiving this letter, and our attorney for this subject can not guarantee what might happen (which is business as usual in these matters).

The message is as follows, memo attachment included in this post:

Based on the attached analysis of federal law, it is clear that Union Township government employees or other persons such as physicians or "medical" marijuana dispensaries acting under the provisions of the Michigan "medical" marijuana law may be subject to federal prosecution under the federal Controlled Substances Act (CSA) and the state law is preempted by the CSA.

David G. Evans, Esq.

Executive Director

Drug Free Schools Coalition

203 Main St., PMB 327

Flemington, NJ 08822

908-284-5080

Our local communities have 2 dispensaries in the city of Mt pleasant, one in the village of Rosebush, and one in Weidman. We have none because we passed a moratorium as recommended at the 2011 Annual Educational Conference seminar on the topic. Other communities have tried to ban or otherwise thwart the intention of the state act and have not fared well, we are not so minded. When we we are finished, they will be regulated like any other use. As we all know, if you issue a moratorium, you better be ready to "stand and deliver". We have some pretty good Time Place Manner language. (Seehttp://www.uniontownshipmi.com/images/pdf_service/5%2018%2011%20packet.pdf ), added since this text was "internal Possession" as used in the statue, and changing registered user requirement from "has been registered" to "is currently registered". And we are in the court district with a binding opinion that dispensaries are not a "nuisance per se." This under appeal. Our ordinance is written to not allow any provision in conflict with the act, Dept of Health administrative rules, or court cases. Advice from legal is if the dispensary ruling is overturned, those provision in our ordinance regulating them would be mote, and then we should amend to take them out.

What really burns me is we are attempting to make the best of the situation we have as it exists "on the ground" here in Michigan. Some of our board has taken this letter seriously, and I am being directed to "run this down", so here are the questions for this forum.

Has anyone else received this letter or similar letters of threat?

Is anyone getting advise from their attorneys to not regulate because they would be liable to federal prosecution?

Has anyone contacted their attorney in light of this or a similar letter of threat and what advise have you received?

Is anyone getting advise to create regulations to address existing problems?

Who has, or is working towards, regulations for dispensaries and/or growing facilities?

William "Woody" Woodruff

Zoning Administrator

Charter Township of Union

2010 S. Lincoln Road

Mt Pleasant, MI 48858

T14N,R4W Isabella County, Michigan

Phone (989) 772-4600, Ext 241

FAX (989) 773-1988

Visit us on the Web at

http://www.uniontownshipmi.com

Planning Department Blog

Union Township Sustainability Committee To: MTA Posted: 5/23/2011 12:01:00 PM Subject: Medical Marihuana, liability for creating statues Message: This message has been cross posted to the following Forums: Planning and Zoning and MTA Community .

Woody,

You have put your finger on one of the central issues presented by the poorly-conceived medical marijuana legislation our state's voters approved in 2008. When federal criminal law so clearly prohibits the sale of marijuana for any purpose, how does the state justify allowing it for any purpose? (Technically, the state law does not "allow" the sale of marijuana. It just says that someone cannot be prosecuted in state court for violating state drug laws if they comply with the requirements of the 2008 state medical marijuana law. This might be a fine point for non-lawyers, but there is a legal difference.)

The US Attorney General's office initially indicated in October 2009 that it would not focus its limited resources on prosecuting seriously ill individuals who use marijuana as part of medically recommended treatment. Unfortunately, this only emboldened many unscrupulous individuals in using "medical marijuana" as a thin cover for the marketing of marijuana for recreational drug abuse. As a result, in the last month, an increasing number of federal prosecutors have written to governors of states with medical marijuana laws, advising them that the federal law prohibits the sale of marijuana, among other related offenses.

In particular, the US Attorney for the Eastern District of Washington wrote last month to the Washington State Governor, advising that: "In addition, state employees who conducted activities mandated by the Washington legislative proposals [for medical marijuana] would not be immune from liability under the [Controlled Substances Act.]" This is the same analysis the group that wrote you is using to put pressure on government officials who are attempting to implement marijuana regulations that permit some degree of marijuana production and sales.

Obviously, this tension between federal law and state law places local officials in a classic "no-win" position. Michigan's voters left behind a serious mess when they approved medical marijuana in 2008, and the state has yet to clean it up. In my opinion, your Township should be commended for stepping in and trying to find a way to limit the abuses that the current state law invites. But until a court finally resolves the controvery (actually, it will take multiple courts, since so many things are wrong with the 2008 law), you need some pragmatic guidance.

1. Doing nothing is not an option. If you do nothing, that is the surest way to invite an explosion of marijuana "dispensaries" into your township.

2. Zoning regulations such as you propose are an essential step. If the state law is eventually held to prevail over federal law, those zoning regulations will be in place to limit as far as legally possible the location, time and manner of marijuana sales and marketing within your township.

3. You should also consider adopting a local police power ordinance (outside the zoning ordinance) that recognizes and affirms the prohibitions that still exist under federal (and to some extent state) law. There are a number of communities that have done this, and their ordinances are currently being tested in the courts, along with everything else. By adopting such an ordinance in your own township, in addition to a zoning ordinance, you make it less likely that your township will become the refuge of the area's drug dealers.

William K. Fahey, Township Attorney

Fahey Schultz Burzych Rhodes PLC,

Your Township Attorneys

4151 Okemos Road

Okemos, MI 48864

Direct Dial: (517) 381-3150

Facsimile: (517) 381-3170

Cell: (517) 974-2250

wfahey(at)fsblawyers.com

www.fsblawyers.com

Fahey Schultz Burzych Rhodes PLC, Your Township Attorneys, is a Michigan law firm specializing in the representation of Michigan townships. This email highlights specific areas of law, and is not legal advice. The reader should consult an attorney to determine how the information applies to any specific situation.

We have been working towards zoning and licensing regs for Medical Marihuana, and are being guided by Hubbard Law of Lansing. Our board receivied an email from a national organization for Drug Free Schools last Friday. The correspondence threatened our board with the possibility of procecution by the Feds. I had raised this question prior to receiving this letter, and our attorney for this subject can not guarantee what might happen (which is business as usual in these matters).

The message is as follows, memo attachment included in this post:

Based on the attached analysis of federal law, it is clear that Union Township government employees or other persons such as physicians or "medical" marijuana dispensaries acting under the provisions of the Michigan "medical" marijuana law may be subject to federal prosecution under the federal Controlled Substances Act (CSA) and the state law is preempted by the CSA.

David G. Evans, Esq.

Executive Director

203 Main St., PMB 327

Flemington, NJ 08822

908-284-5080

Our local communities have 2 dispensaries in the city of Mt pleasant, one in the village of Rosebush, and one in Weidman. We have none because we passed a moratorium as recommended at the 2011 Annual Educational Conference seminar on the topic. Other communities have tried to ban or otherwise thwart the intention of the state act and have not fared well, we are not so minded. When we we are finished, they will be regulated like any other use. As we all know, if you issue a moratorium, you better be ready to "stand and deliver". We have some pretty good Time Place Manner language. (Seehttp://www.uniontownshipmi.com/images/pdf_service/5%2018%2011%20packet.pdf ), added since this text was "internal Possession" as used in the statue, and changing registered user requirement from "has been registered" to "is currently registered". And we are in the court district with a binding opinion that dispensaries are not a "nuisance per se." This under appeal. Our ordinance is written to not allow any provision in conflict with the act, Dept of Health administrative rules, or court cases. Advice from legal is if the dispensary ruling is overturned, those provision in our ordinance regulating them would be mote, and then we should amend to take them out.

What really burns me is we are attempting to make the best of the situation we have as it exists "on the ground" here in Michigan. Some of our board has taken this letter seriously, and I am being directed to "run this down", so here are the questions for this forum.

Has anyone else received this letter or similar letters of threat?

Is anyone getting advise from their attorneys to not regulate because they would be liable to federal prosecution?

Has anyone contacted their attorney in light of this or a similar letter of threat and what advise have you received?

Is anyone getting advise to create regulations to address existing problems?

Who has, or is working towards, regulations for dispensaries and/or growing facilities?

William "Woody" Woodruff

Zoning Administrator

Charter Township of Union

2010 S. Lincoln Road

Mt Pleasant, MI 48858

T14N,R4W Isabella County, Michigan

Phone (989) 772-4600, Ext 241

FAX (989) 773-1988

Visit us on the Web at

http://www.uniontownshipmi.com

Planning Department Blog

Union Township Sustainability Committee

CSA MEMO

I don't think this has been posted as of yet but if I've duplicated a topic please combine this with the appropriate one. This is interesting information as we seen to be fighting on all forefronts to keep our law as voted on in 2008. This is circulating to all townships in efforts to close us down and change our law using the federal law!

I am indeed disappointed to learn the Feds apparently ran out of paper and quit issuing warnings beyond township officers. I want them to threaten and jail the employees and officials of every city, county, court and any other jurisdiction in every state that allows medical marijuana. The voters of the states who put medical marijuana in place are not "on the fence," why allow the few of us who are employed or elected to serve in state offices or positions, to be? Just becasue federal prisons are too small to hold the voters of fourteen states the cs's pick on elected officials and employees? Let them fill the Federal prisons everywhere with half a million public servants, from current and former governors on down, until everyone who ever served in a medical marijuana complaint state during mmj legality is behind Federal bars. Even those who retired as far as five years back. Let the Feds jail Jennifer Granholme. (In the same manner as in CA the Feds clawback into long-since closed dispensaries). She governed when our state went renegade. THEN WE'LL SEE A PROTEST!!! As proponents of medical marijuana use it serves our purpose if everyone in authority is bulled into "stand and deliver," or forced to crawl away cowed, tail showing prominently. Did I leave someone in doubt? I encourage Federal extremacy as I believe it will engender a big enough backlash to reverse federal law, just as Arab countries have replaced their rulers though grass-roots public outrage and mass protest.

It's War !

Quote"Based on the attached analysis of federal law, it is clear that Union Township government employees or other persons such as physicians or "medical" marijuana dispensaries acting under the provisions of the Michigan "medical" marijuana law may be subject to federal prosecution under the federal Controlled Substances Act (CSA) and the state law is preempted by the CSA." End Quote

David G. Evans, Esq.

Executive Director

203 Main St., PMB 327

Flemington, NJ 08822

908-284-5080

who are these people???????????????????????????? where is their money come from??????? who prompts them and funds them?????????? find that out and you might figure who to go after... just a thought :blink:

It shames me to even admit I'm a politician at times! This is the mentality I deal with on a daily basis and this is the reason I have to remain very private about what community I'm from. I tested the waters just a little bit and believe me the reaction I got was 'HOW COULD YOU EVEN THINK OF LETTING THESE PEOPLE OPEN DISPENSARIES OR DEAL DRUGS OUT OF THEIR HOUSES!!!!!". Knowing I would have my political career quickly ended for me, I backed down because I would no longer be able to help those in my community who needed help and appreciated it. But why stop at township officials, if they are going to prosecute one then they need to do it to all as Pic Book said. This is just plain madness that has taken over and they are so brainwashed by the political propaganda its pathetic. What the hell happened to public servants? Did they forget that we serve the public and voice the publics wishes???? It's a money thing now. Can't fill those campaign coffers if you have a different opinion than the big guy writing the check or the PAC that supports you.

Dizz

The anti-MMj groups are 'actively seeking' the 'Federal government's' help and financing to counteract ALL MMJ legislation.

We have to organize ourselves so that we can elect those people into office that will NOT seek Federal aid in defeating the MMM Act and that will follow and interpret the 'law' as it was intended.

The anti-MMj groups will do whatever it takes to maintain the 'system' that is in place that maintains their incomes and positions.

And we have to do 'whatever' is 'legal' for us to do that will help us keep our law.

David G. Evans, Esq.

Executive Director

203 Main St., PMB 327

Flemington, NJ 08822

908-284-5080

Is the author of the CSA memo and has written 2 amicus briefs for the US supreme court in the medical marijuana cases of

US vs OAKLAND CANNABIS BUYERS COOP

GONZALIS vs RAICH

as well as the author of The Facts about "Medical Marijuana"

This guy is out to shut us all down! The memo included all correspondence from other states that have passed MM and are writing letters to the DOJ questioning their new state law in respect to the federal law. Somehow this guy thinks he is god and his opinions are seen as serious threats to local officials. The DFSC is another branch of the US government at work here. We can't stop writing letters or replacing all of our elected officials with those who truly represent our rights.

This is the guy who is behind the letters!

Attorney

David G. Evans, Attorney at Law

David G. Evans, Attorney at Law in Belvidere and Flemington, New Jersey, could easily be described as a renaissance lawyer.

In addition to the quality legal services he has extended to clients for 35 years, attorney Evans is an emergency medical technician, published author, and family man. He is experienced with matters related to drug and alcohol testing and litigating those cases for employers. He has advised on international and national policy matters at the United Nations.If you have been injured in an accident caused by someone else's negligence, found yourself the victim of wrongful termination or are arrested or charged with a crime, Mr. Evans wants to speak to you. He can help.For practical, cost-effective solutions to your legal problems, contact David G. Evans, Attorney at Law in Belvidere and Flemington. He is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, and has written five briefs for cases heard before the Supreme Court.

Contact him today toll-free. Call 866-959-5268. David G. Evans

http://www.davidevanslaw.com/

Some of Mr. Evans's national media appearances include:

Additionally he has been interviewed numerous times on local television and radio shows and print media.

PUBLICATIONS

BOOKS

1. Federal and State Guide to Employee Medical Leave Benefits and Disabilities Law, West Group Rochester, NY, 1999

2. Designing an Effective Drug-Free Workplace Compliance Program, West Group, Rochester, NY, l993

3. Drug Testing Law, Technology, and Practice, West Group, Rochester, NY, l990

4. Kids, Drugs, and the Law, Hazelden Publishers, Center City, Minnesota, 1985

5. A Practitioner's Guide to Alcoholism and the Law, Hazelden Publishers, Center City, Minnesota, 1983

Mr. Evans has written numerous legal articles on a variety of subjects. Some examples include:

"Federally Guaranteed Terrorism Insurance Needed" American Water Works Association Journal, December 2002, Vol. 94 Number 12

"Employers Face Difficult Questions In Initiatives Against Alcohol Abuse", Occupational Health and Safety Magazine, September, 1994

"Disabilities Act to Affect Drug Testing" Forensic Urine Drug Testing, American Association for Clinical Chemistry, September 1993

"A Dose of Drug Testing", Security Management Magazine, May, 1992

"Chain of Custody Errors Can Quickly Undermine the Case in Court", Occupational Health and Safety Magazine, April, 1992

"Drug Testing in the Motor Carrier Industry", The Docket United Bus Owners of America, November 1, 1989

"Drug Testing Decisions: Implications for EAPS", The EAP Digest, September/October, 1989

"Private Lives of Employees: How Much Should Employers Know?", Occupational Health and Safety Magazine, October, 1988

"Drugs or Alcohol on the Job", Business for Central New Jersey, October, 1988.

"Keeping the Law on Your Side", Business and Health Magazine, July, 1988

"Alcohol and Drug Testing in Industry", U.S. Journal of Drug and Alcohol Dependence, February, 1985

"Confidentiality", Addiction and Recovery, August, 1990

"Is the War on Drugs a War on Civil Rights?", Human Rights magazine, Summer, 1990

"Legalization of Drugs Is Not An Alternative", The New Jersey Law Journal, October 26, 1989

AIDS Patients May Pose Legal Risks", U.S. Journal of Alcohol and Drug Dependence, June, 1986

Alcoholism, Domestic Violence, and the Law", Focus on Family Magazine, September/October, 1985

"Insurance Coverage for Alcoholism", U.S. Journal of Alcohol and Drug Dependence, October, 1984

MANUALS

Developing Drug-free School Policies and Procedures, Drug-free Schools Coalition, December 22, 1999

Testing for Substance Abuse: A Guide for Laboratories, Syva Company, Palo Alto, California, 1987, updated, 1989

CONTRIBUTIONS TO TEXTS

AIDS: The Legal Issues, American Bar Association AIDS Coordinating Committee, Washington, DC, 1988

American Bar Association Policy Recommendation On Youth Alcohol and Drug Problems, Section of Individual Rights and Responsibilities, Washington, DC, 1985

Legal Reference Manual for the Release of Medical Record Information, Medical Record Association of New Jersey, Cedar Grove, New Jersey, 1984

David Evans is the force and source of mis information. Someone is behind his written opinions and if not he politically posturing for future plans. Read the memo!

From the local meetings I've sat in on its complete legalization or we will be fighting for our cause for a very long time. This guy has managed to get in bed with the big guys. He has his own agenda!!! This memo is circulating like wild fire to all municipalities.

Diz, this is the kind of info that we who respect whats been afforded to us need to stay aware. It sounds like your position is currently a catch 22, as a behind the scenes force quietly helping the cause but unable to really stand up and fight with a career in the balance. The unfortunate nature of things is that we all are clammering for change but by your own recognition it appears you and peers of your like are really unable to 'come out of the closet' and publicly let them have it or be a voice for the masses. So, we need change but the polititians who are on our side and could really help risk everything by publicly taking that stand. How honestly does that get fixed or fix anything when you have to go into work with perverbial duct tape over your mouth or risk it all? I ask mainly because you are right there in the thick of it, without anyone really even knowing that you are in the thick of it.

I was in politics before the law passed and I've never thought that marijuana was a bad thing. It's easy to keep my mouth shut because I'm gathering information for our cause. If I say to much my sources will dry up. I also have big plans for 2012.

There are more out there like me. We need to get us elected to the city councels and township boards. We need to start now, next year will be to late. Put a team together for your communities....if I can do it I know there are those of you that can also.

Dizz, Here's something we can ALL do right now that will certainly help MMJ patients here in Michigan.

The information was sent out by Rob Kampia of the Marijuana Policy Project. You'l probably remember them as the people that helped us get our MMM Act passed.

(Don't mean to steal your thread. I thought you would also find supporting these 'Federal Bills' could help us all.)

Dear friend,

It’s not often that three bills related to medical marijuana are introduced in Congress on the same day. In fact, it has never happened in history – until today!

This is big news, and we are hoping you will help spread the word in Washington.

All three bills would benefit medical marijuana patients and their providers. The “States’ Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act,” which has been introduced in past sessions of Congress, would modify federal law so that individuals acting in compliance with state law are immune from federal prosecution.

The other two bills – the “Small Business Tax Equity Act of 2011” and the “Small Business Banking Improvement Act of 2011” – have never been introduced before and address critical tax and banking issues faced by medical marijuana centers and dispensaries as they attempt to serve patients, comply with statewide regulations, and pay their fair share of taxes.

Having lobbied Congress for years on these issues, MPP is excited to see the sponsors of these pieces of legislation sending a strong message to the rest of the nation about the need for the federal government to respect state medical marijuana laws and to treat fairly the individuals following them.

Now that these bills have been introduced, we need members of the House to sign on as co-sponsors. This is where you come in. We have drafted an email for you to send to your U.S. representative. With less than two minutes of your time, you can let your representative know that his or her constituents care about this issue. This really makes a difference.

The tides of history are turning in our favor. But with people like you speaking out, they will turn even faster.

Thanks for taking action!

Sincerely,

11961.png

Thanks for all the info and the link to the Marijuana Policy Project. I clicked on the link and tried to submit and just kept timing out.

Anyway we could get just a simple list of people we should be writing to so that my patients and I can just send a letter the old fashioned way?

Our senators and state reps need to hear from us. There is a thread that has all the info you need. Google Michigan senators or state reps, look up your district and you will get their name, address, phone,etc. Please remember to vote and get involved with looking for candidates for the next election. Join your local democratic or republican club. Get involved, its these local clubs that help push agendas. Senators, state reps etc., speak at these clubs and provide question/ answer time. Use this as another avenue to have your voice heard. With everything I've learned this week I'm afraid LEO will not back off until the feds do or marijuana is legalized.

Unless full legalization comes from the federal level down we would probably have even more overall issues and the public costs of dealing with those issues will outweigh the benefits.

Federal prosecutors were urged to avoid pursuing medical marijuana users, but that might not work under different circumstances if full legalization is only at a state level.

Thanks for all the info and the link to the Marijuana Policy Project. I clicked on the link and tried to submit and just kept timing out.

Anyway we could get just a simple list of people we should be writing to so that my patients and I can just send a letter the old fashioned way?

kirsten,

Google MPP or the Marijuana Policy Project and you'll get MMP's site.

Look for a box lower right side and click on the 'address' found there.

Should be able to contact your reps.

Thanks for helping out.

Unless full legalization comes from the federal level down we would probably have even more overall issues and the public costs of dealing with those issues will outweigh the benefits.

Federal prosecutors were urged to avoid pursuing medical marijuana users, but that might not work under different circumstances if full legalization is only at a state level.

If the feds don't lighten up then we may need to try to break prohibition in the US. We are also fighting the textile industry as well as the oil industry. As we know they are one reason for the prohibition on hemp and the pharmaceutical companies do not want us self medicating...imagine the profit loss for them!

Thanks for your vote of confidence.....me senator? They wouldn't know what hit them or what to do with me! I'm described as quite a force around the township.

Thanks for the info. I really reallized how much a little effort when we were dealing with the Burton ordinance. I was so scared I was shaking when I told the city council that I was a patient and caregiver but it really made a difference. A bunch of other people came and spoke too and we ended up getting a very patient friendly ordinance.

I also read that a california city council was threaten with arrest by the DEA - for conspiracy to distribute a controlled substance - for trying to work with its citizens to craft a law to allow its citizens to obtain the schedule 1 drug. Apparently trying to discuss a setup up for a distribution system to be legal in their city, was akin to trying to be 'a drug dealer'.

yea, its profitable for some to rally against this - I am sure that moron made money off his books and show appearances - just to spread Fear, Uncertainty, and Despair - at the harm of people who need medical marijuana. You could write books about cellphones, cars, food being harmful - it means people need to be aware and discuss this - not ban it.

In Oakland County Brooks Patterson the county executive made the county council sign an agreement that they will do everything against medical marijuana - back in 2008. Patterson's office sent a package out to ALL Oakland county cities - that was outdated, DEA heavy - that advised them how to BLOCK medical marijuana in their cities. So far we have been working to contact these city councils with a legitimate information package about medical marijuana - that the AMA does reconize it, that the studies show it is helping patients. Patterson's office did a low, underhanded tactic of misinformation to its own people - we have to expose patterson and his crew as liars, and at the same time educate others that marijuana can be medicine.

-DN

What bothers me the most is the fact municipalities are relying on this memo and not doing their due diligence / fact finding of their own. This has been a problem for years in communities with elected officials. Some or most will base their opinions on the information supplied to them in their agenda packets and form an opinion accordingly. That leaves those of us who research both sides of the motion item with our asses hanging out in the wind and out voted on these matters. I'm glad there are packets going out to Oakland County municipalities. It would be great if the CC's in each county could organize and do the same. We need a handout that is used by all CC's created by MMMA. We need to appear organized and consistent.

Archived