Base Soil

sknkwrks

I am looking for a good potting soil to use as a base soil. I would like something with no nutes added and as little natural nutes as possible more or less some good dirt ( i hate using that word). In the past I have used a brand of potting soil called "hyponex" its made by scotts witch most of you know scotts makes the dreaded Miracle-Gro I have used the hyponex several times and nothing on the bag front or back gives any N-P-K value for the most part its a dark good looking soil with some perlite added it clumps good when compressed in the hand and crumbles very easy. it doesnt smell earthy or like it has any added nutes just kinda smells like dirt/soil. Has any one els ever used hyponex potting soil before? does any one have any suggestions on another brand of plain potting soil??

thanx a bunch

Pro mix, sunshine mix are both peat based and work well. Why don't you want nutrients in the soil? Shredder

Like others i am going to start mixing my own soil and want total control over what goes in it thats why i would prefer to have no added nutrients. I have used foxfarm ocean forest for some time now and have added to that to make a very nutrient rich soil but its hard to customize it with the nutes that are in it.

A little off topic.

For patients, "subcool's super soil" is a great option. All you have to do is water every 5-9 days and move the lights. The down fall is large pots, which means a lot of soil to deal with. His recipe can be mixed in small amounts in contractor bags. The other down fall is a couple of ingredients are hard to come by, but can be found online and a few places around the state. But to only have to enter your room once a week to water is well worth it, especially if you have to leave for vacation, work, or hospital stays.

http://www.rollitup.org/subcools-old-school-organics/338384-2010-revised-super-soil-recipe.html

Guest thequietone

I have used the hyponex potting soil before and have had good results. This is what i use for all my soil growing.

1 bag potting soil, hyponex or any other brand. to that I add 5 gallons peat, 3 gallons vermiculite and 2 gallons perlite. Mix well in a large container, I use a 18 or 20 gallon tote. I get good drainage and root development and I can control everything the plants get.

Archived