Harvest

hofner67

The tops of the plants have matured (cloudy tricomes and dried up calyxs) and yet the lower branches haven't finished(calyxs still white). Is it worth trying to maximize yield by prolonging budding to allow for the whole plant to mature?

Excellent question, hofner67. It's pretty much up to you. The lower branches ripen slower because of the shade from the canopy. The smoke is definitely different, but not necessarily bad. It's been my experience that the nuggets won't get much bigger, but the will continue to mature toward amber. It's slow though, and I decided for me that it's just a waste of time, and a good reason to install supplemental light (ie: side lighting). If you want to wait it out, then you have one or more plants taking up slots in your count, and that means fewer plants moving through your grow. I have harvested in stages in the past because the yield was so heavy that it would have put me out outside my allotment. I think that the plant is trying to recover from the shock of loosing it's main structure, and those little popcorn nuggets down below just never get any bigger. But they do get better. The week or three that you might wait for those last few grams is time that a new plant would be in its stretch. If you look at pictures of some of the nicest grows you will see that the grower removed all of those little branches. The energy that the plant uses to try and keep the popcorn going could have gone into making bigger colas. Good luck!:sword:

Hey thanks for the advice. Sounds like harvest for me.

Excellent question, hofner67. It's pretty much up to you. The lower branches ripen slower because of the shade from the canopy. The smoke is definitely different, but not necessarily bad. It's been my experience that the nuggets won't get much bigger, but the will continue to mature toward amber. It's slow though, and I decided for me that it's just a waste of time, and a good reason to install supplemental light (ie: side lighting). If you want to wait it out, then you have one or more plants taking up slots in your count, and that means fewer plants moving through your grow. I have harvested in stages in the past because the yield was so heavy that it would have put me out outside my allotment. I think that the plant is trying to recover from the shock of loosing it's main structure, and those little popcorn nuggets down below just never get any bigger. But they do get better. The week or three that you might wait for those last few grams is time that a new plant would be in its stretch. If you look at pictures of some of the nicest grows you will see that the grower removed all of those little branches. The energy that the plant uses to try and keep the popcorn going could have gone into making bigger colas. Good luck!:sword:

And that, Sir, is the crux of the matter. As the plant ripens it weakens, disrupt it's Swan song with stress and torture, and you sicken it further. If you don't like the larf, trim all the lower nodes, that strength will be transferred up-stem and you'll get larger tips. If you loathe that treatment, get a mover and you will find your inner buds finishing in synchrony with your tops.