City Of Tawas Puts Moratorium On Medical Practices That Certify Patients Under The Mmma

Dr. Bob

Ok, something we need is folks that want to sign up for the clinic on the 17th of June in Tawas. When I call them on the carpet, I need to show that folks are being denied medical service. I'll also need a patient to join me in the suit against the city. Folks on the sunrise side that are interested in making sure this type of moratorium is never placed again, and those that want to show local governments they have to play by the rules and listen to the people, should drop me a pm.

keep those appointment requests for the clinic that won't be allowed coming in.

Dr. Bob

The positive aspect of this is that what they did was clearly illegal. It is also wrong on a moral ground. We have a little municipality literally breeching the doctor patient relationship and targeting a group of physicians to prevent them from recommending a medication as allowed by state law. There is precedence all the way to the US Supreme Court that says they cannot do that. Tawas will be bankrupt and made an example of for all cities in Michigan to press home the point that 63% of the voters WILL BE HEARD.

What I need from the members of this board is a private message from each of you requesting a certification appointment.

If all goes well maybe you can change the name of the town to 'Docbobville' in lieu of all the money in their treasury. :lol:

(pm sent)

Clare did the same thing , They snuck one in on us..didn't give us a chance to speak, slid right over it..But the Clare Police said they are supporting there rules..They are following state law..So as long as you follow STATE LAW..There is nothing they can do to you..

I been thinking bout this since i read it..I was thinking that if you put prices down at $75.00 for new, $50.00 for renal and every 50th free.. \YOU MIGHT HAVE A CHANCE..But @ $250.00..Never happen..People are broke..They LIVE IN MICHIGAN>>People are DISABLED..

This is an attempt by a little city to regulate the practice of medicine, it is an illegal moratorium and I will not respect it.

Dr. Bob

I agree, It is happening every where,s.. Just on Different things..Maybe this will bring more Dr.s out and Be more willing sign the apps..

Wow prices up to 250? Alot i know are having a hard time paying that price for a recert.. I actually had one pt drop out because of the yearly expense..

Thanks for putting up this fight in tawas.. I hope you kick their butts and i will be the first in line with the cakes.. :-)

I agree, It is happening every where,s.. Just on Different things..Maybe this will bring more Dr.s out and Be more willing sign the apps..

We would like to go to this Meeting..

when and where ? could you post Addy n time? I do have friends up that way i could go see also..

If all goes well maybe you can change the name of the town to 'Docbobville' in lieu of all the money in their treasury. :lol:

(pm sent)

The point is to really hurt them and make an example of them.

Dr. Bob

Wow prices up to 250? Alot i know are having a hard time paying that price for a recert.. I actually had one pt drop out because of the yearly expense..

Thanks for putting up this fight in tawas.. I hope you kick their butts and i will be the first in line with the cakes.. :-)

Dr. Bob to city council....'I had $7,000 worth of appointments I had to cancel based on your illegal moratorium, I will being expecting to recover that in a lawsuit now that I have clearly demonstrated damages--- all those patients sent requests for appointments at $250 apiece and I wasn't able to see them....... Oh by the way, many of those same patients are lining up to sue you as well for denial of services under the color of your authority.'

Feel a little different about the cost of the clinic that may never be now? BTW, I have clinics all over for $150 in case anyone out there is in need of an alternative. Sign up for the Tawas clinic first, we'll accommodate you elsewhere if needed.

Dr. Bob

PS, maybe you are right, due to the hassle factor I might have to charge $500 apiece for this clinic.

We would like to go to this Meeting..

when and where ? could you post Addy n time? I do have friends up that way i could go see also..

going to be at the Tawas City Hall on the 20th of June if the moratorium is still in place.

Dr. Bob

(pm sent)

Actually I am thinking of digging up main street and turning it into a float pond so I can land my seaplane when I come to visit.

Dr. Bob

This is the first and only time they tried to regulate the practice of medicine. This is unrelated to the MMMA and that is the beauty of it. There is NO question that a doctor can discuss and recommend any legal treatment to his/her patient, this little burg is trying to change that and the courts will EAT THEM ALIVE. That is the advantage this has over a moratorium on dispensaries or anything else. This is a moratorium on medical practice just because a doctor CAN recommend marijuana. It applies to EVERY DOCTOR IN TOWN, not just me. Alternatively it is directed at me because of the type of practice I have. Either way they really screwed the pooch.

Now the only question is how badly can we hurt them to make an example out of them. To do that I need to demonstrate 'actual damages' in the form of patient appointments at a price that I could not see as a direct result of the moratorium. Sign up early and sign up often for the 6-17 Clinic in Tawas. And do it in writing via PM so I can walk in with a whole frigging stack of them.

Dr. Bob

Sent Pm with an appointment request for you, Dr. Bob!

Let's hope my old rusty bucket can make the drive, I'm afraid I live far away. *crosses fingers* ;)

Ah...but there is Skype and Dr. Bob. Yep!

Not remembering thread at moment, but it does exist!

Why yes I do telemedicine, and the sound reasons for doing it (outreach to rural areas and shut ins, defined 'bona fide' doctor patient relationship with telemedicine, desire to extend that definition as none exist in Michigan for live visits, etc) are listed elsewhere.

But this thread is about a city passing an illegal ordinance, in an illegal way, to illegally regulate the practice of medicine on a local level. It is akin to some little city over riding the Medical Practice Act in Michigan by saying 'we are a catholic council and a catholic city, physicians in our town cannot discuss birth control with their patients, unless of course you are already a physician in practice here.'. While this moratorium does involve a practice that does medical marijuana certifications, it is not about marijuana or the MMMA, it is about the regulation of the conversations and management decision between a doctor and their patient.

That is the key point here, in their effort to prevent patients from seeking certification for MMJ, they have so grossly overstepped their limits and violated the will of the voters and they can, will and should be made an example of. My goal, which has been stated several times, is to hurt them badly enough that every local government in Michigan, when it considers making an ordinance related to medical marijuana, will have the example of Tawas on their mind as they make their decisions. 'we need to be fair, because we don't want to have the same fate as Tawas'. Furthermore, it is such a slam dunk case, it will result in precedence that can be useful in battles elsewhere to protect our rights.

Please send a PM to sign up for the clinic in Tawas on June 17th.

Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob,

You are to be commended for your courage to stand up for our cause and what you believe in, in your heart. My wife needs her recert by July 17, 2011. We will be calling for an appointment.

Again Thank you,

lilbuddy

Drop me a pm and be sure to sign up for the 6-17 clinic in Tawas. if 'for some reason' we are prevented from having the clinic (ie illegal moratorium) we'll get her set up.

Dr. Bob

Rather than risking arrest (or more likely a fine) may I suggest you get a lawyer and file an action for Declaratory Relief? Not as flamboyant as the thing with reporters and a crowd of MMMA supporters but probably a bit safer strategy. :thumbsu:

I have no idea if local townships can regulate medical practices. Certainly they can regulate the time, place and manner of where the cities doctors offices are located.

I am sure they cannot discriminate against specialties but...MM is not a specialty, is illegal under federal law, and there may be good reasons why a city would want to limit a particular medical office or specialty. Courts may be willing to give cities some leeway in this situation.

I don't know, what if a Methadone clinic was attracting 'the wrong crowd' and the township was able to show an increase in crime and a strain on city resources. I know, bad example but I am just brainstorming. I don't think they will win but this is their argument.

Rather than risking arrest (or more likely a fine) may I suggest you get a lawyer and file an action for Declaratory Relief? Not as flamboyant as the thing with reporters and a crowd of MMMA supporters but probably a bit safer strategy. :thumbsu:

I have no idea if local townships can regulate medical practices. Certainly they can regulate the time, place and manner of where the cities doctors offices are located.

I am sure they cannot discriminate against specialties but...MM is not a specialty, is illegal under federal law, and there may be good reasons why a city would want to limit a particular medical office or specialty. Courts may be willing to give cities some leeway in this situation.

I don't know, what if a Methadone clinic was attracting 'the wrong crowd' and the township was able to show an increase in crime and a strain on city resources. I know, bad example but I am just brainstorming. I don't think they will win but this is their argument.

I am hitting on several fronts and have good legal advice. Trust me, this isn't me thumbing my nose or trying to get arrested. There is a solid strategy at work here, and the main thing I need from the board right now is appointment requests for the 6-17 Tawas clinic to demonstrate solid damages if I have to cancel it under the color of authority as defined in US Code 42 Sect 1983.

I am in a location zoned for doctors offices.

Dr. Bob

Archived