The Water Curing Method

It doesn't really affect potency. And why would you want tasteless? If you want to cook with it and you have a PT that has an adversion to all of her food tasting like weed...

helps a little bit on that.

Nah it's not that I don't want tasteless I'm just exploring my options of a low maint. cure (see above) and I'm willing to sacrifice smell/taste for the easiest way possible. I guess it would be handy for cookin' stuff stealth mode. "Here mom, I made these brownies for you..." heh ;) Plus from what people are saying it doesn't smell very much, perhaps it would be useful for medicating in public.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I'm not missing the point. People are just flaming me because they seem to be set in their ways, so far I've not seen a good argument as to why people think water cures are bad other than taste and smell. Catfinger gave me a good reply. I guess what I'm looking for, for me personally, is the easiest low maintenance way to cure buds so they are as smooth as possible. I have lung trouble. Seriously bad lung trouble. Smoking a vape even hurts sometimes, and I can't imagine attempting to smoke regularly. I am not capable of paying a caregiver. I'm also not capable of having to do a cure that's high maintenance due to work/health issues. So anyway a super smooth cure is what I'm after, just like everyone else, but mine needs to be hyper smooth for my hyper sensitive lungs. From what I'm reading, water curing provides that. And also from what I'm reading, screwing up a dry cure will make buds harsh also I've read that the best cures are the ones that take longer. So, is time = the best dry cure? Or is it more about the method?

I always like to hear opinions, it's how people figure out what they're gonna do. I'd appreciate more opinions and less flaming/attitude. Not from you I mean from other folks. No need to get all fiery over a curing discussion. Especially no need to attack me on a personal level. I have nothing but respect for everyone here. Even mister grumpypants up there.

Water cure does produce some tasteless, less smelly, ugly buds. But water cure is not easy to do right. it takes a lot of water, constantly be changed, and it is carrying heavy buckets of water around. You have to have enough to completely submerge the plants.

Once you get the hang of it, jar cure is really easy, provides a much smoother better smoke, and looks WAY better.

THC and cannabinoids don't give you a harsh hit. The plant fiber and cholorphyl do. Well if you have trouble hitting a vape, I dunno, but its the plant fiber in a normal smoke that causes coughing, etc.

Have you thought about other ways to ingest it? Olive Oil pills? RSO? dropping a 1/4 into a thing of Zatarains Black Beans and rice (oh that was so good...). If you have really bad lung problems, I would not look at getting the best smoke possible, but instead how to ingest it without smoking it.

If you wanted to make pills, it is really easy, lower effort than water cure, and you can take them anywhere. They just do have a short shelf life, in the fridge I would give them maybe 2-3 months before I questioned them.

Cedar

Water cure does produce some tasteless, less smelly, ugly buds. But water cure is not easy to do right. it takes a lot of water, constantly be changed, and it is carrying heavy buckets of water around. You have to have enough to completely submerge the plants.

Once you get the hang of it, jar cure is really easy, provides a much smoother better smoke, and looks WAY better.

THC and cannabinoids don't give you a harsh hit. The plant fiber and cholorphyl do. Well if you have trouble hitting a vape, I dunno, but its the plant fiber in a normal smoke that causes coughing, etc.

Have you thought about other ways to ingest it? Olive Oil pills? RSO? dropping a 1/4 into a thing of Zatarains Black Beans and rice (oh that was so good...). If you have really bad lung problems, I would not look at getting the best smoke possible, but instead how to ingest it without smoking it.

If you wanted to make pills, it is really easy, lower effort than water cure, and you can take them anywhere. They just do have a short shelf life, in the fridge I would give them maybe 2-3 months before I questioned them.

Cedar

Thank you for the non-angry input, I really appreciate it :) With a large harvest it would indeed suck to be hauling around buckets of water. That is something I could not do. Perhaps with a smaller harvest it would be alright, but I don't see how anyone would "want" low yields. That would just be silly.

Yeah I've been looking at oils and such with high CBD content for anti-inflammatory properties. However, regardless of the irritation that results from using a vape, it still does provide relief far better than any other traditional medications. I just have to get through the coughing, which can trigger asthma attacks if I'm not careful. The idea is I want the medicine delivered straight to where I need it, the lungs! I have never tried any sort of oils, I am very curious about them and I'm sure I'll look into that idea. :) I am also interested in the pill idea, I have seen the empty capsules around for purchase.

I am seriously worried about dry-curing. I would be devastated if I was unable be home for a while and my buds molded. Wouldn't it be cool if someone would design an automatic curing system? You know, like a container that opens and closes on a timer. Hmm...

this is the stupidest crap ive EVER heard of. dry your crappy crop, get better genetics, and try not to suck next time.

"Next time"?

Sarazorz, is a newbie and has NEVER grown before, and asked a simple question out of a lack of knowledge.

Maybe you should read the rest of the posts....next time!

Thank you for the non-angry input, I really appreciate it :) With a large harvest it would indeed suck to be hauling around buckets of water. That is something I could not do. Perhaps with a smaller harvest it would be alright, but I don't see how anyone would "want" low yields. That would just be silly.

Yeah I've been looking at oils and such with high CBD content for anti-inflammatory properties. However, regardless of the irritation that results from using a vape, it still does provide relief far better than any other traditional medications. I just have to get through the coughing, which can trigger asthma attacks if I'm not careful. The idea is I want the medicine delivered straight to where I need it, the lungs! I have never tried any sort of oils, I am very curious about them and I'm sure I'll look into that idea. :) I am also interested in the pill idea, I have seen the empty capsules around for purchase.

I am seriously worried about dry-curing. I would be devastated if I was unable be home for a while and my buds molded. Wouldn't it be cool if someone would design an automatic curing system? You know, like a container that opens and closes on a timer. Hmm...

well sorry if you didnt miss the point. I hope you see how i could have thought that....you keep saying your looking for the safest easiest cure.... several people have pointed out to you, doing it in water doesnt meet the requirements you seek..... the possibility with mold lessens the longer its in the jar....you dont need to burp it twice a day for two months or anything.... as for smooth, grow organic, give it a good flush....smooth as could be. ever try a vaporizer?

you have a higher risk of mold as your material will be soaking wet from your 'water cure'.

more drying time.

The complaints are somewhat reasonable - you are trying to 'consider' water cure as a easier way to dry and cure your harvest - it is not.

Just buy a hanging drying basket, fans, even a small portable dehumidifier - place in closet, Use a temp/hygrometer. Like the rest of us.

"leaving the house and coming back to find mold" is not likely, if you left it for too long - it will just overdry.

-DN

well sorry if you didnt miss the point. I hope you see how i could have thought that....you keep saying your looking for the safest easiest cure.... several people have pointed out to you, doing it in water doesnt meet the requirements you seek..... the possibility with mold lessens the longer its in the jar....you dont need to burp it twice a day for two months or anything.... as for smooth, grow organic, give it a good flush....smooth as could be. ever try a vaporizer?

Yes I am looking for the safest and easiest cures. So far it's been you guys vs. the people on the forums I linked earlier...Its a war! Curing seems to be an art and everyone has their own methods (which people seems to be very opinionated about), I'm just looking to find the right one for me. Unfortunately I'm getting flamed for looking into all my options. Ah well. :) Definitely have tried a vape. (See previous posts!) Still have a bit of irritation. Using a nebulizer, my albuterol treatments even sting quite a bit. Just gotta suffer through em'. I would be really be disappointed if mmj treatments ended up being no less painful than the traditional methods for chronic lung troubles. I'm looking into ingestion forms, I would certainly try that out, but I'm pretty stuck on getting the medicine right where I need it though - lungs.

you have a higher risk of mold as your material will be soaking wet from your 'water cure'.

more drying time.

The complaints are somewhat reasonable - you are trying to 'consider' water cure as a easier way to dry and cure your harvest - it is not.

Just buy a hanging drying basket, fans, even a small portable dehumidifier - place in closet, Use a temp/hygrometer. Like the rest of us.

"leaving the house and coming back to find mold" is not likely, if you left it for too long - it will just overdry.

-DN

MY water cure! It's not mine. It's an option. So you don't use a jar method I take it. What's the difference between the jar and a hang-dry approach? Anything really?

i agree with what most of what everyone has said. the water curing method certainly doesn't seem like any less in maintenance. in fact, it's not at all. the high labor portion is still gonna be the trim.

the trick to air drying is getting that perfect environment and getting the bud cutting timing right.

what i would do, if i were you, would be to dedicate a harvest (preferably your first) to trying both (yes, even more labor). but that way you could try both ways. you may fail. it's okay. i have failed a bunch. if you look through my journal, there's a few fails in there. i know when on a small budget it can be tough. but the learning is priceless.

without giving too much personal info, let me just tell you i know the time commitment to growing can be painful. there is a commitment if you are growing indoors. you have a mini biosphere you are trying to manage all of the variables for both planning and implementation. growing indoors can give you an education in the following studies/trades: HVAC, Pest Control, Soil Culture/Bio-chemistry, Hydroponics/plumbing/chemistry, electrical engineering, and Project Management.

but your bottom line is how it will affect your health, and how can you get the most medicinal effect without causing physical harm. for that EITHER method will potentially go wrong and not get cured correctly and get too dry, causing harshness. so. i say experiment and see what works for you. if for some reason there is absolutely no reason you can do that (try both means of curing), let me know. i will happily cure a couple of nugs with 'water curing' and have you test them against regularly cured buds of the same strain/plant.

GTFO of the thread then, grumpypants. Your rude comments are nothing to me. If you knew my medical situation, perhaps you wouldn't speculate about my "whining". In fact, if you knew, you'd probably feel like a douche for saying that. You don't sound like a very caring, dedicated aficionado right now buddy. You sound like you need to medicate. Why don't you talk about why you think water curing is stupid instead of attacking me personally.

Looking for experienced people who have tried this method, still! Thanks guys :)

Honestly I highly doubt you will find any EXPERIENCED people who have tried this method because it is NOT the right way to properly dry and cure your meds. Very far from it actually...Will it work? Maybe, maybe not. Will you ruin your medicine? Maybe, maybe not, but why would you want to take the chance to ruin your hard work? I would say your chances of ruining your medicine GREATLY increase with this method. It might end up working for you, but I highly doubt it. Chances are it probably wont and you will be left wondering why in the hell you tried it in the first place. Soaking your buds in water for a week while changing the water everyday is not less work than properly drying and curing. This is fact. What can possibly be hard about hanging your buds upside down for 5-6 days and then placing them in a jar? The only work you have to do is to crack the jar open for a few minutes once a day for a week or two, then once every 3-4 days for the remainder on the cure. Its not hard at all.

Just because it this process CAN be done doesnt mean it SHOULD...take it from the people who have a lot more experience...this is not the way to go about drying and curing your buds.

MY water cure! It's not mine. It's an option. So you don't use a jar method I take it. What's the difference between the jar and a hang-dry approach? Anything really?

I dry til the stem cracks, then jar for the cure. Drying and curing are not the same thing. By curing I can improve the taste and smell. I guess the real showdown is when you show up with your meds and me, mine.

-DN

A good way to avoid mold when you are not around is to use jars with a cork. You have to be careful when it rains though because your bud can soak up the moisture. It is best to keep it in your grow room in a dark place if you have your humidity in check like you should. My buddy is a old school grower and has always done it this way. Hope this helps. Peace, Afi

yeah that doesnt sound very appealing to me either, i dont understand how that method is easier? all i do is trim the bud, hang it upside down on 8-10in stems for 3-4days, until slightly crispy, then cut buds off stem and put in ziplock food tub, maybe let them sit out another 4-8hrs in the tub. then close up the tub for part of the day and crack open the tub a time or 2 a day. what i do really is the smoke out of the tub, i'll get in there a few times a day to let that moisture out/pick out a bud. in a week or 2 your set. i have a fan in the room but most definatly not on the buds, its solely to keep the air from getting stale.

just my thoughts but wouldnt your method severly greaten the chances of mold?

to me it sounds like a PITA having to haul even more gallons of water to your spot, not to mention just because it sounds easy doesnt mean it is.

slow's the way to go!

Yes I am looking for the safest and easiest cures. So far it's been you guys vs. the people on the forums I linked earlier...Its a war! Curing seems to be an art and everyone has their own methods (which people seems to be very opinionated about), I'm just looking to find the right one for me. Unfortunately I'm getting flamed for looking into all my options. Ah well. :) Definitely have tried a vape. (See previous posts!) Still have a bit of irritation. Using a nebulizer, my albuterol treatments even sting quite a bit. Just gotta suffer through em'. I would be really be disappointed if mmj treatments ended up being no less painful than the traditional methods for chronic lung troubles. I'm looking into ingestion forms, I would certainly try that out, but I'm pretty stuck on getting the medicine right where I need it though - lungs.

Water curing is not safer, and it is not easier. It is faster. That is the main claim to fame on water cured, is you can get a decent (mind you not great) smoke in 7 days instead of jar curing at 2 weeks to a full month (30 days recommended, however most people don't wait that long) minimum.

Jar curing is probably the safest, easiest method once you have a few under your belt. You do need a dehumidifier now that summer months are here and ambient humidity is high for the "dry" but curing is easy and safe.

Master Kush -- I do consider myself slightly experienced, and I have tried water cure. Part of what differentiates a great grower from a good grower is trying different techniques, as you may get great bud from doing 1 method, but you don't know if you can make it KILLER bud without trying something new.

My last harvest I averaged 7 oz a plant. One might think, that's awesome, just 100% replicate what you did and keep doing it. But, where I have 3 plants where I am doing the same again, I have another 2 that I am trying out different things on, and another few that I am trying the same thing, but different strains. And the results look to be amazing. However if I closed my mind and didn't change anything, I wouldn't learn anything.

Without trying new things, you never know how much better it can get. Of course trying new things you can fail at, however, when you stop trying new things you quit learning.

A grower that has grown 1 strain for 20 years, and has never done anything different isn't going to be nearly as good as a guy who has grown for 5 years and done 20 different strains 100 different ways.

JMO

I'll post my techniques for both here so you can see the difference. For each grower there is a different method, so I am not saying these are the only way, or the best way, it is just what works for me.

Cedar

Water Cure

1. Cut your plants down
  2. trim fan leaves off
  3. trim sugar leaves off
  4. fill a igloo cooler with water
  5. place plants in water
  6. place something on top to hold them completely under water
  7. Make sure to handle gently so you don't knock trichomes off
  8. wait 12 hours, drain and refill slowly with water
  9. wait 24 hours, do the same, repeat for 7 days or until water is completely clear for 2 days
  10. DO NOT MISS A DAY!
  11. Pull plants out of water GENTLY, hang in bathtub to drip for a couple hours
  12. Place in room with dehumidifier at 30-40%, drain dehumidifier every couple hours first day
  13. Make sure you have a fan in that room to keep air moving
  14. dry until crunchy and you aren't filling up your dehumidifer with water any more
  15. cut buds off stems and enjoy

Notes: This is all from memory, so don't be too harsh if I missed a step. you can't miss a day in there. If you don't replace water frequently, you can grow mold in your water. If you let humidity get too high when you pull out of water, you can mold there too. Keep it dark and dry in that room. Nugg's come out dark in color, and look shriveled up. Taste is much lower, and it isn't as smooth as a really good jar cure, however it only took just over 7 days from harvest, and is smoother than a jar cure at 7 days.

Cedar

Edit: Forgot to add you can dry them in a food dehydrator or oven on lowest setting (200 or under) to dry them out, it should only take a few hours to get them ready to use.

Jar/Air Cure

1. Cut your plants down
  2. Remove fan leaves, leave sugar leaves on
  3. Hang in room with dehumidifier 40% and fan, keep room dark
  4. Check daily until small stems "snap" instead of bend, large stems should be hard, but still bend
  5. Trim sugar leaves (you can actually manicure during the dry time if you want to spread it out over a few days)
  6. cut off buds, place in sterile air tight jars (should be slightly crunchy, but not turn to dust if you squeezed)
  7. place lids on jars, store in cool dark place
  8. open lids daily for 2-3 days for 1/2 an hour, take buds out gently and reorganize so bottom buds are on top, middle is on outside, etc
  9. buds will seem to get more moist the first couple days, crunchiness will leave.
  10. after 3 days or so, check daily, shouldn't see any condensation inside jars, burp if they seem moist
  11. If you see condensation, you might want to leave the lid open overnight, they were probably too wet when they went into jars
  12. try to burp daily, but if you miss a day once in a while after the first week, shouldn't be an issue
  13. repeat for 2 weeks, once you get to 2 weeks, burping isn't as important, should be able to go 3-4 days between burps
  14. after 30 days, burping shouldn't be needed at all
  15. enjoy nice smooth pretty, tasty nuggets

Notes: where I find air cure is harder to get "perfect" it isn't as labor intensive and is easy to do right. Water cure is easy to get perfect, however it is very labor intensive and if you mess up, the whole thing is shot. And during those 7 days, you can't miss a step or wait, it has to be hand held all the way.

Whatever you decide to do, let us know the results. Trying both I think is a good way, just remember Jar Cure needs to go at least 2 weeks before you should try it, if you want really smooth, I would go a month. But, burping daily is only for the first 2 weeks, then it is more of a burp every few days until you get it where you want it.

Without trying new things, you never know how much better it can get. Of course trying new things you can fail at, however, when you stop trying new things you quit learning.

True :)

I dunno if a water cure is "easier" as far as what you have to do, I suppose it sounds easier because you only have to deal with the process for a week vs. a longer period of time. It's not a matter of being impatient, it's just a matter of how much more time and effort I have to put in, if you get what I mean. Both methods seem like they have nuances involved to come out nicely, both seem to have a chance for mold, although with water curing it seems that there is a smaller window of time when mold can grow. /shrug I would likely stick to dry curing just because I can't be hauling around a large amount of water, but I might take a few buds and water cure em in a little jar or something just to check it out. If there really is no difference between the smoothness of how the buds smoke/vape and each method is just as easy, then it wouldn't matter and I'd definetly go with dry to save the smell and taste.

I have a friend who enjoys the effects of smoking but hates the taste and smell. I think she's crazy, for one, but water cured stuff would work for her. To each their own.

Jar/Air Cure

1. Cut your plants down
  2. Remove fan leaves, leave sugar leaves on
  3. Hang in room with dehumidifier 40% and fan, keep room dark
  4. Check daily until small stems "snap" instead of bend, large stems should be hard, but still bend
  5. Trim sugar leaves (you can actually manicure during the dry time if you want to spread it out over a few days)
  6. cut off buds, place in sterile air tight jars (should be slightly crunchy, but not turn to dust if you squeezed)
  7. place lids on jars, store in cool dark place
  8. open lids daily for 2-3 days for 1/2 an hour, take buds out gently and reorganize so bottom buds are on top, middle is on outside, etc
  9. buds will seem to get more moist the first couple days, crunchiness will leave.
  10. after 3 days or so, check daily, shouldn't see any condensation inside jars, burp if they seem moist
  11. If you see condensation, you might want to leave the lid open overnight, they were probably too wet when they went into jars
  12. try to burp daily, but if you miss a day once in a while after the first week, shouldn't be an issue
  13. repeat for 2 weeks, once you get to 2 weeks, burping isn't as important, should be able to go 3-4 days between burps
  14. after 30 days, burping shouldn't be needed at all
  15. enjoy nice smooth pretty, tasty nuggets

Notes: where I find air cure is harder to get "perfect" it isn't as labor intensive and is easy to do right. Water cure is easy to get perfect, however it is very labor intensive and if you mess up, the whole thing is shot. And during those 7 days, you can't miss a step or wait, it has to be hand held all the way.

Whatever you decide to do, let us know the results. Trying both I think is a good way, just remember Jar Cure needs to go at least 2 weeks before you should try it, if you want really smooth, I would go a month. But, burping daily is only for the first 2 weeks, then it is more of a burp every few days until you get it where you want it.

Oh and thank you for the step by step :)

i love water cure it makes POTENT MEDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BE CAREFUL OF MOLD -IF YOU MESS UP...your meds are now junk

Water curing doesn't change how much THC and other cannabinoids are there. you can't add THC by sticking them in cold dark water for a week. It may seem stronger because of no taste you are able to take bigger hits, but you can't add potency by water cure.

Water curing doesn't change how much THC and other cannabinoids are there. you can't add THC by sticking them in cold dark water for a week. It may seem stronger because of no taste you are able to take bigger hits, but you can't add potency by water cure.

QFT (quoted for truth)

the Cannabinoid levels don't rise. but, if this method does allow you to take larger individual doses, then it makes perfect sense.

I didn't read all this, but bubble bag hash (not oils or solvent based hash) with a vaporizor. IMO the cleanest of inhaled injestion. And what CedarSpringsCG, on 08 June 2011 - 10:34 AM, said:

EDIT:Oh ya use a bag with the vap takes less lung power.

Apparently from what I've read, it does not increase the potency of the meds in the sense that it adds THC.

"Bud is more potent, but only because the total weight is reduced. ie: where you may get 1.5g air curing, you'll only get 1g with water cure: a much purer product", so they say.

Quote from: http://www.420magazine.com/forums/harvest-preparation-curing/108240-water-curing-marijuana.html

Potency is effected by drying and curing - wet, too dry, and mold decrease the potent medicine effect you aim for. Degrade your THC, it is going to be more CBD/CBN.

The terpenes and flavinoids are considered a part of the medicinal effect the patient wants to experience. The water cure - removes those.

Go to a farmer's market and see what other people do. Offer your water cure and see the reactions for yourself. Like I said, I had Aussie Blue that was water cured by the grower. Many people missed the flavor and taste, and certainly reacted to the brown color as if it was street!

purer product would be the trichromes - making hash, BHO, etc is purer. You still are smoking plant material, whether its 1.5 gram or 1 gram. Again, you will have to do a REAL comparison yourself.

-DN

I have tried the water cure method, years ago and didn't really appreciate the results. I used a method similar to what is described, changing the water daily for 7 days. The end product was tasteless and nearly odorless, which is why I won't do it ever again. While the mothod is useful for meds that have molded (mold is an anaerobic, meaning that it needs air to survive), as it will kill off the mold. What I discovered was that the water cure method removed to many of the esters, terpines and flavinoids, leaving the product without much taste. Don't do it, unless you are willing to give up taste and odor... Peace ... j.b.

Archived