Growing Problem With Plants

CHILLPILL

That little lady is is sick. The learning is painful! Stop watering so much. What kind of nutes are you using? I tried 27 ways to kill my first grow, and still harvested every plant. This takes some getting used to... this growing thing. I would flush the plant with water, equal to the size of the container. Then let her dry out for several days, and slowly re-introduce nutes. These plants want to grow! It really takes a lot to kill that. Get them flushed, and let the soil dry out out a bit, and slowly bring the nutes back up. The old growth may not recover, but the new growth should be fine. Tell us about your set up. What kind of nutes are you using? What kind of lights, and schedule? Where's the water coming from? What's the pH? Going in, and at run off? You are learning a lot from this, so don't be discouraged. It get better!

How come cowbells isn't in here tellin this guy how to get his 576 zips? Sorry... just couldn't help myself.

That little lady is is sick. The learning is painful! Stop watering so much. What kind of nutes are you using? I tried 27 ways to kill my first grow, and still harvested every plant. This takes some getting used to... this growing thing. I would flush the plant with water, equal to the size of the container. Then let her dry out for several days, and slowly re-introduce nutes. These plants want to grow! It really takes a lot to kill that. Get them flushed, and let the soil dry out out a bit, and slowly bring the nutes back up. The old growth may not recover, but the new growth should be fine. Tell us about your set up. What kind of nutes are you using? What kind of lights, and schedule? Where's the water coming from? What's the pH? Going in, and at run off? You are learning a lot from this, so don't be discouraged. It get better!

How come cowbells isn't in here tellin this guy how to get his 576 zips? Sorry... just couldn't help myself.

Thank you all for advice and help, I flushed the plant with clear water. The light is a 1000W high sodum about 3ft from the plant. I use city water each morning. I use miracle gro. Can you tell me how long before the plant turns green again. Should I use something other than city water and the miracle gro?

Sometimes with the up curl it is said the plant is praying for magnesium. Do you have mag covered? Dolomite lime? Epsom salt? Shredder

Hi thank you for reply, I am new at this please tell me about magnesium, shredder and epsom salt when do I apply and how much? How can

Thank you all for advice and help, I flushed the plant with clear water. The light is a 1000W high sodum about 3ft from the plant. I use city water each morning. I use miracle gro. Can you tell me how long before the plant turns green again. Should I use something other than city water and the miracle gro?

The city water has chlorine in it. That would be toxic. Are you letting the water sit in the open for 24 hours before you use it? That should be enough time for the chlorine to evaporate. You should pick up a little aquarium pump and an air stone and some 1/4" tubing. It's all easily found at meijer or wallmart, but we don't like wallmart. Fill a bucket with water, put the air stone in the bottom, and let it bubble for at least a day. In the dark won't hurt either, because algae photosynthesizes, and we don't need any more algae if we can help it. Are you checking the pH at all? It's important, becauase too high or too low will not allow the roots to take up nutrients. This whole grow your own thing is a lot of fun, but it aint easy! Sometimes you just have to go back to square one and start over. It's worth the effort though. I'm not growing in soil anymore, but I can tell you that miracle grow leaves a lot to be desired. It should work though. But you don't have to water every day, and you don't have to feed every day, and probably the most important thing is that the pH has to be right. You will learn as you get more into this that you want to start your plants under something that has more of a "summer" spectrum, and then move them into the flower phase under that big HPS. Temperature and humidity are very important also, and air circulation too. Spend some time reading back through the grow posts in this forum. you will gain a lot of knowledge.

It's probably not chlorine or pH if he's using city water from that area. The Detroit water is pretty decent. I'm very close to him and we've had the water tested for chlorine a few times throughout the year and never got anywhere near what would cause a problem. The pH is usually right about 7, not perfect but not that bad either. Most likely over-watering/over-feeding. Miracle grow is probably OK but not for feeding every time you water. Most soil growers run a feed, water, water then repeat schedule to prevent nutrient toxicity. Reduce your watering, you can buy a moisture tester from Home Depot or Lowe's for like $10 to stick in the soil and tell you if it's dry or not. It will help you get used to how often it needs water. At that size I doubt it needs water every morning. When it get's bigger you may get to a point where it needs water every day. If you already flushed it with clean water then give the soil time to dry now. The damage that you see is done and won't recover. In about a week you should begin to see new healthy growth.

Had I known you were using Miracle Grow I could of told you that you are giving them too much fertilizer. Notice how the top part of the plant is yellowing yet you have some green growth left on the bottom. That is a sign of toxicity. I thought it was a little extreme to be PH but I would highly recommend changing fertilizer to a weaker hydroponic or organic fertilizer. Peace, Afi

Had I known you were using Miracle Grow I could of told you that you are giving them too much fertilizer. Notice how the top part of the plant is yellowing yet you have some green growth left on the bottom. That is a sign of toxicity. I thought it was a little extreme to be PH but I would highly recommend changing fertilizer to a weaker hydroponic or organic fertilizer. Peace, Afi

thanks for help any special kind of organic fertilizer?

Miracle gro is trash. You need a better medium without all the heavy nutes and hotspots. Or did you mean MG nutes? Either way they need to be replaced. There are plenty of good options. Check htgsupply... they carry everything that anyone here will recommend for you. For ease of use, I'd recommend Advanced Nutrients Grow, Micro and Bloom.

Hi thank you for reply, I am new at this please tell me about magnesium, shredder and epsom salt when do I apply and how much? How can

The simplest and fastest way to get magnesium to your plants is with a foliar spray. Mix up a 1/2-1 tsp of epsom salt (the agricultural kind) with a gallon of water, and spray at lights out. If your plant is mag deficient you should see result in a day or three.

The biggest problem with MG is the time release aspect. You simply do not know when it will release nutes and frequently they do at the worst times. Almost any other nuitrient line is better, and i would argue your better off amending your soil with dry nutrients and just feed water or compost teas. That way the plants take up what they need at their pace. Treat your soil well and it will return the favor to you.......shredder

Here is a simple easy and cheap recipe to grow great plants in soil. Get a 3.8 cf bale of pro mix, get a bag of one of espoma's tone fertilizers. (probably not in the hydro store because they can't make much money on it, look in home depot of a farm store) They come in plant tone, garden tone, bio tone flower tone and so on. All of them work well, and can be used but bio tone starter plus has your mycos in it. Ok add 12 cups of the tone ferts with your bale,(3 cups per cf) add two to three cups of powdered dolomite lime, one bag of ewc and or good compost. Mix it well, wet it, let it sit at least two weeks and month is better, then use. After a month or 6 weeks of growing in this mix, add a top dress of more of the tone fertilizer.

Around me, a bale of pro mix is $28.50 (farm store) 5lb bag plant tone is $5, the ewc is around $20 for 15lb bag, (although I would add a 30lb bag) the dolomite lime is $12 for 50lb (farm store or home depot). So for $65.50 you can have an outstanding soil, and if you stay away from chemical nutrients you can reuse that soil over and over. You can even harvest a plant, cut out the root ball place another plant in the hole, top dress with your tone ferts, and your back in bussines. How cool is that?............shredder

edit I forgot to add large chunk perlite up to 30% of the mix

Archived