And A Side Of Marinol?

MIZGVZ

Could all doctors prescribing medical marijuana be prescribing Marinol as well as medical marijuana? Could or would this be a good defense for drugged driving or certain jobs that don't allow medical marijuana? Just saw it in another thread and I wasn't too sure what to think about the concept? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank You For Your Thoughts!

I do not know anything about the defense side but I do have marinol prescribed because there was a problem finding adjunctive access to other normal medications that were always involved in my care after I went on the MM program . Thankfully I have found some help in that regard though I would like to share the paperwork I had to sign with my elected officials it seems ridiculous in medical care . For me cannabis merely aids my other medications allowing reductions it does not eliminate them though that can occur and is a wonderful outcome when it does . Without the addition of cannabis tthe medications I used for severe chronic pain were not effective and caused severe side effects the cannabis reduces to tolerable .

My Mother is nearing end of life and very sick so I have to go through zero tolerance States plus to one where MM is illegal still

when she needs a family member to assist with health directives and to help protect her from the system that makes so many error's now a days . However I can tell you .these facts : it is expensive $1500 for a months supply ( $20 a pill )and it has to be refrigerated with a poor shelf life . It also is just the psychotic THC primarily missing most of the 251 cannabinoids and you cannot benefit from the energy of choosing sativa or the calming effect of indica strains . I actually vaporize with real cannabis as soon as possible to lower the anxiety side effect it creates for me , it is better then nothing , but a terrible not as effective substitute . I myself use it if I am going to drive the next day instead of cannabis but I am not sure if it would help mitigate a under the influence accusation . I hope a professional replies .

The courts in many parts of the State are truly discriminating so facts do not always apply . I have heard officials state you cannot drive on anything which is ironic when State & Federal health and rehabillitation policies encouraged me to drive on a combination of opiates , Valium and antidepressants that almost killed me and left me insane at one point and they provide no realistic tolearable help . The system blames the patient for any medication problems which is as unjust as our cannabis laws . . I tested clean for all non proscribed r substances all throughout this ordeal if anyone wonders it was part of my pain program and it drives up costs to ridiculous levels for society . On driving 3 years now we have had this program and no dramatic problems have occurred . Patients already have a great understanding of the effects of medications that are as sick or injured as the majority of us are hidden or not . There is more harm occurring from patients not having clearly understood legal access to the roadways for those that feel safe and have become accustom to using this medicinal aid self evaluatiing as on any other over the counter medication , as well as , not having access to education grants , and the workplace similar to any other individual in need of any other medicinal item to create a more normal existence adapting to injury or disease states that interfere with that and cause more debilitating states without a medicinal aid . I hope someone can answer your question and I will be watching this thread .

. I know the main point seems to be active blood levels and I wonder honestly why anyone would think patients not keeping a steady therapuetic dose in their system would be safer in activities then one who did ? Most patients will test above the 50 ng limit commonly used in workplace drug testing . Any lessor limits like the proposed 5 ng some states are passing are truely just extensions of zero tolerance and set to deny patients any access to roadways due to their need and choice of using non toxic herbal cannabis .

I have actually been considering this, especially in legal cases. The up side, marinol is prescribed, not recommended, which has a bearing on probation and other legal issues. Second, there is no way to determine if a positive screen for marinol vs MMJ is due to one or the other, so if there is a prescription present for marinol who is to say the positive test is due to MMJ or marinol? This not only could affect probation but job issues as well. Third, if a patient is qualified for marinol, what court could say the recommendation for MMJ is invalid.

The down side is that marinol is a schedule 2 narcotic and must be filled at a drug store, it could invalidate narcotic contracts, and it would involve both malpractice liability and the DEA.

This is an issue I am looking into and will make a decision based on legal consult and some research. Good though though.

Dr. Bob

As soon as I got my card I was thinking it would be a good idea to have a script for marinol but I probably would not qualify so I have not looked into it. It would be nice though just incase I have to get tested and don't have time to clean my system. I only use about 1-2 grams a month of MM but I think that would be enough to make my dirty on a screening

Dr. Bob, i tried to message you this question but i will ask here:

Hi Doc,

I am going to be going in for my re-cert in a month or two. I was hoping to ask the doctor for a prescription for Marinol/dronabinol. My concern is this: i work for my health insurance company! that would still get processed in their system would it not- even if i paid cash? True? No? i have been trying to come up with to ask around the company to get more info without 'giving myself away'. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Dr. Bob, i tried to message you this question but i will ask here:

Hi Doc,

I am going to be going in for my re-cert in a month or two. I was hoping to ask the doctor for a prescription for Marinol/dronabinol. My concern is this: i work for my health insurance company! that would still get processed in their system would it not- even if i paid cash? True? No? i have been trying to come up with to ask around the company to get more info without 'giving myself away'. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Marinol will appear on your MAPS report here in Michigan, and your insurance company can access your medical chart at any time, you gave them permission to access your records when you accepted their insurance plan and let them pay for your visits.

Dr. Bob

Are we sure the tests can't distinguish Marinol- synthetic THC- from the REAL THC?

If this is true I certainly see no reason why any doctor (with a DEA license) cannot prescribe Marinol for the exact same qualifying condition as your certification allows- and for the same reason.

As noted by Dr. Bob this could help some people on Probation and employment based drug testing. :thumbsu:

However, why would marinol negate narcotic contracts or cause malpractice liability any more than a MM certification unless (gasp!!! :rolleyes: ) Marinol is more likely to cause an adverse reaction than natural THC? (that last bit is what we call dramatic irony- Marinol is MUCH MORE likely to cause an adverse reaction than natural cannabis).

Marinol will appear on your MAPS report here in Michigan, and your insurance company can access your medical chart at any time, you gave them permission to access your records when you accepted their insurance plan and let them pay for your visits.

Dr. Bob

Thank you for that straight forward answer.

Are we sure the tests can't distinguish Marinol- synthetic THC- from the REAL THC?

If this is true I certainly see no reason why any doctor (with a DEA license) cannot prescribe Marinol for the exact same qualifying condition as your certification allows- and for the same reason.

As noted by Dr. Bob this could help some people on Probation and employment based drug testing. :thumbsu:

However, why would marinol negate narcotic contracts or cause malpractice liability any more than a MM certification unless (gasp!!! :rolleyes: ) Marinol is more likely to cause an adverse reaction than natural THC? (that last bit is what we call dramatic irony- Marinol is MUCH MORE likely to cause an adverse reaction than natural cannabis).

Can you please give me a source to back up your statement "... Marinol is MUCH MORE likely to cause an adverse reaction than natural cannabis".

It is not that I doubt your word, I want to have access to some published data which I can then refer to in arguments with certain friends who will NOT accept my word !

Dr. Jinx

I do not know if this is pure fact based information as it is not scientifically footnoted . I have no doubt it is true just as I have no doubt about how many false positives there are in routine drug testing . These are issues never discussed just as we know people are injured or suffer from diseases that are not diagnosed properly or treatable which cannabis helps comfort , stabilize , and there have been reports of improvement in some individual cases giving patients who had none a improved quality of life . I can personally attest to that so count the last sentence as fact .

http://www.420magazi...l-cannabis.html

Alarming facts surround the accuracy of drug testing concerning both false positives and negatives that run as high as 5% . Yet people are loosing jobs and freedom not based on quality of work or driving ability while laboratory advocates are enriched handsomely for pushing societal policy that is not justifiable based on economics , humanistic compassion and margin of error .

http://www.cbsnews.c...in6537635.shtml

Can you please give me a source to back up your statement "... Marinol is MUCH MORE likely to cause an adverse reaction than natural cannabis".

It is not that I doubt your word, I want to have access to some published data which I can then refer to in arguments with certain friends who will NOT accept my word !

Dr. Jinx

http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/HT_Marinol_0794.html

Dr. Jinx

Certainly. I wish I could cite a nice peer reviewed medical study but sadly the DEA has insured that these studies are done only rarely. This, however, is an excellent article on the subject with lots of citations.

“Marinol vs. Natural Cannabis: Pros, Cons and Options for Patients” NORML (National Organization for the Reformation of Marijuana Laws) at: at http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=6635: “Paul Amentano, Senior Policy Analyst updated August 11, 2005, accessed February 24, 2011.

Marinol does not have the buffering of natural cannabis and is much more likely to cause a psychotic reaction- it's all THC and no CBD I think. Plus people with experience using both almost always prefer the natural stuff.

Lets see, purified, concentrated speed....or a nice cup of coffee??

• 7 months later...

Could all doctors prescribing medical marijuana be prescribing Marinol as well as medical marijuana? Could or would this be a good defense for drugged driving or certain jobs that don't allow medical marijuana? Just saw it in another thread and I wasn't too sure what to think about the concept? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank You For Your Thoughts!

I am also very interested in this for much the same reason. I fanyone reading this knows of a doctor in south east Michigan who does/would probably be willing to write a marinol script for chronic pain please send me a message.

I have actually been considering this, especially in legal cases. The up side, marinol is prescribed, not recommended, which has a bearing on probation and other legal issues. Second, there is no way to determine if a positive screen for marinol vs MMJ is due to one or the other, so if there is a prescription present for marinol who is to say the positive test is due to MMJ or marinol? This not only could affect probation but job issues as well. Third, if a patient is qualified for marinol, what court could say the recommendation for MMJ is invalid.

The down side is that marinol is a schedule 2 narcotic and must be filled at a drug store, it could invalidate narcotic contracts, and it would involve both malpractice liability and the DEA.

This is an issue I am looking into and will make a decision based on legal consult and some research. Good though though.

Dr. Bob

Hey Dr. Bob,

I think the answer to this question would be based on what type of screening the patient is being subjected to. Typical first line screening is done by immunoassay for which there are many things that can generate false positive results (http://www.livestrong.com/article/199203-medications-that-will-test-positve-for-thc/). These results are considered presumptive until confirmed by GC-MS. This allows only highly suspect samples to undergo rigorous testing. If someone had a Marinol prescription, this would be an excellent reason to explain the initial positive result however if the lab were savvy enough or was truly out to discriminate between Marinol and herbal cannabis use, they could try to use GC-MS to identify metabolites of the minor cannabinoids that would not be present from ingesting Marinol alone. For instance, here's a method that has been developed to specifically identify metabolites of the synthetic cannabinoids (http://www.redwoodtoxicology.com/services/synthetic_cannabinoid_testing.html). Really it all depends on who is doing the testing and how much work they're willing to do to prove their point. There are also many documented methods that have been shown to increase ones chance of passing a urinalysis.

-Cannalytics

Just my thought . I am a union construction worker. With the recommendation I am not able to tinkle in the cup . Restricting jobs I can take from my union hall. BUT if I have the marinol pill I AM able to tinkle ... it depends on what type of testing they are doing I found out . With the simple tinkle test our program does they do not test to see the different types thc in your system . Marinol simply shows as thc but they can do further testing and if they choose to do that it will show as THCV which is plant derived.... I know this from experience... I would love for a doctor to be able to help me with my job ! Seems all these doctors are ok with signing a recommendation but not a prescription .. why ??? They had no problems writing me tons of opiates I just want marinol so I can work !

I know a few people that have this. It does work for employment . if you can afford it,

I have done this and I can testify what Marinol does though helpful is no where near the same as medical grade cannabis , It also has nasty withdrawals and effects used daily . I use it only the day before I drive or when I travel out of State . It is terribly expensive $1500 to fill a one month supply plus it must be refrigerated at all times or kept cool . I pack it with a medical cool pack you freeze . Insurance covered it or I would of never tried it . I often use cannabis as soon as possible to mitigate the unpleasant side effects . It is pure THC only and its obvious that isn't the entire key to what benefits me from cannabis . Not even close though it will carry one for a few days until they reach a legal cannabis state again . Since the act protects internal possession drivers should be protected but I don't want to be a court case . I self evaluate and never drive impaired . I have asked others to observe me and nobody has ever reported a problem . I do not see marinol use as a viable alternative for the majority of patients daily due to both cost and effect . However when my Mother had a severe stroke I was greatful to have access out of State .

• 3 weeks later...

Marinol is a pharmaceutical that many people mistakenly refer to as a medical legal form of marihuana. The active ingredient in Marinol is dronabinol. Dronabinol is a man-made form of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is a naturally occurring component of the cannabis plant. There is NO cannabis in dronabinol. Because dronabinol is combined with sesame seed oil, it must be refrigerated. Those with nut allergies should be cautious about consuming dronabinol.

The DEA claim dronabinol to be “medical marihuana”, but in its scheduling it is not listed as marihuana. It is listed as a Schedule III drug that is a Man-made THC, suspended in sesame seed oil, and encased in gelatin. For the last 2-3 years, this medication has been available as a generic.

To answer the OP questions: the doctors who provide their signature to medical marihuana certifications have the ability to provide Marinol prescriptions, but I would surmise that they don’t because they are not treating the patient. If a patient is using Marinol, the courts could say the recommendation for MMJ is unnecessary. It is my understanding that test performed do not locate delta-9, but delta-11. This is the form of THC that the body converts all THC into for use. I would think that prior to testing; a person would have to state that they are on Marinol, and produce an active pill bottle in their name.

Archived