Down The Same Old Road Again

Z71_420

hey guy's this lemon skunk is almost 3wks in and has been slowly yellowing, i feed her a little N but not much change. is this N def or the start of nute lockout, i've had probs with my well water in the past couple months so im wondering if there's not a build up. i watered her with well water probly the first 2-3wks after setting roots, then i've just been buyin r/o water since then. the majority of the plant looks fine just wanted to figure out whats goin on.

lemonskunkjune9th.jpg

And this lady i think may have a mag problem, i just got this plant 1wk ago so i havent given it anything but water. what's your thoughts

911plant.jpg

ok so when you say imbalance do you mean the ph runoff will be different each time? just tryin to make sure im on the same page as you. i'll give it a shot though! i just purchased a digital ph meter so i'll be able to do that accuratly.

not mag. that starts a little brown/dead spots. looks like pH lockout. flush, flush, feed. check runoff water pH, bet theres an imbalance

Sounds just about right. One thing I'm noticing is that it is also yellowing from the bottom up which would indicate a lack of Nitrogen or a lock out.

Flushing is the first step, and then proceed from there.

not mag. that starts a little brown/dead spots. looks like pH lockout. flush, flush, feed. check runoff water pH, bet theres an imbalance

Yellowing starting at the edges, green veins all say to me magnesium, as in deficiency.....shredder

Edit. I just wanted to add the first couple weeks of flower most plants need Fairly high amounts of N,cal,mag, the when flowers start K, that is why plants show deficiencies in flower not evident in veg

well the first pic is the only one i can really tell ya anything about, the 2nd is a clone i was given and transplanted. but here goes on the 1st's detail:

may25th was light flip

june 4th 650ppms of npk+calmag 1/3-1/2 gallon water yellowing from bottom up

6th h20

9th h20, plant still yellowing

11th h20 yellowing 3/4 up on oldest leaves

thats what i have in short, im using alaska morbloom for my bud, alaska flsh emulsion for veg, humboldt's calmag. general hydroponics ph down (is it possible there's another ph down for flower?) this plant is in fox farm happy frog soil, it vegged perfectly i only ever watered it and topped it, that's why i was wondering about the ph down, i only add 4 drops per gallon, that's what seems to give me that yellow color on the drop test( i just purchased a digital ph meter so i'll be able to more accuratly chech ph in the next few days.)

thanks again guys

Your ph is way off and is the issue. First off you need dom lime for that fox farm crap or they'll yellow due to ph drop later in bloom. I'd use 2 tlbs per bag and perlite when mixing up your next batch of medium and keep your feed ph to 6.o to 6.2. For these girls add lime to the top of the pots and try to mix it in as best as ya can and start your waterings at a higher ph like 6.5 to 6.8 for water only and 6.2 for the feeds.

Foxfarms soil mixes SUCK and have ph issues in bloom. I've had it drop to the low 5's with run off in say girls at 4 weeks in bloom if no lime was used. I dropped f/f and went with sun shine mix number 4 and amended that with lime( same amount) 2 tbls of earthworm castings and roots excel at 2 tbls per 18 gallon tub of s/s mix. Oh and a bunch of large chunky perlite. I use 2 large coffee cans full of the perlite per 18 gal tub of mix.s/s mix is way cheaper then foxfarm crap so dump that and switch.

I run both flood and drain tables and reg pots(3 gal) with this mix and never seen another yellow leaf. I run this stuff in smart pots on my tables and feed 2 times per day for 3 minute floods in 2 gal pots at a ph of 5.9 and the girls stay dark waxy green thru=out the whole grow. No more yellow leafs and mid bloom or sooner like the f/f soils.

Like they said before check your run off when ya just water the girls with plain water. Set ph in the water to say 6.5 and pour in in till ya get a good run-off, then check that with your ph meter and see where it's at. It should be within a couple points of your starting water so if not you have issues. I'll tell ya now your gonna see it drop to the high 4's or low 5's and has the girls starving them selfs out as they can't up take at those ph levels..

Your easiest fix is to switch to the mix I'm using and add what I said to add and you'll be done with the yellowing girls. Another thing is dont let them dry out between waterings,, AT ALL or they yellow too. My flood pots are soaked always and the plants love it so keep them pots wet and heavy. water and feed when they just start to get a tad lighter then when ya first water as they like it wet.More it dries the more salts build up so keep them wet and happy.Only time i see yellowing now is if one of my 3 gal potted girls gets to dry and droops. When that happens you'll get yelloow leafs no matter what ya do afterwards.MJ don't like to get dry so keep them wet.....

Notice how ya have burnt tips on the one pic ? and the way the larger fan leafs are wanting to curl down ????? Thats showing you to much N and pointing to lock out as the lower bigger leafs are yellowing first. Get that ph right and feed them just a smig less of the N on the next couple feeds. Ph is your issue as you'll soon see when ya check that run off......

now that you explain it that way, i think i've been having this problem alot longer than i really thought but not this severe, i have about 8-9 more lady's in a ffhf and roots organics 50/50 mix, im guessing i should add lime to the next transplanting too. thanks a ton for the info and suggestion. the next bag of soil i buy will be SSM#4, i have a tub of dol. lime already so i should be able to treat the lady's in the bud room today. i have about 7more budding right now that are just like you said YELLOW from ph problems im guessing too. so i REALLY appreaciate the advice!

you said 2tbls per bag. do you mean per gallon? i use 3gal pots also

There is a possibility this is an example of off gassing from plastics in the area.

A while ago, some folks figured out that the hoses used for feeding water to the plants were giving off a gas that killed plants.

The plastic equipment that you use .. is there a different manufacturer for plastic equipment in the flower area than in the veg area?

There is a possibility this is an example of off gassing from plastics in the area.

A while ago, some folks figured out that the hoses used for feeding water to the plants were giving off a gas that killed plants.

The plastic equipment that you use .. is there a different manufacturer for plastic equipment in the flower area than in the veg area?

i guess the olny varible in this is my veg room has a flood table like thingamijig, and my flower room has some 12inch plastic water saucer things to catch water.

i guess the olny varible in this is my veg room has a flood table like thingamijig, and my flower room has some 12inch plastic water saucer things to catch water.

I guess the only safe way these days to use plastics would be to heat them in the oven first. That would drive all the gas off.

About 400F for about four hours should do it. :)

I guess the only safe way these days to use plastics would be to heat them in the oven first. That would drive all the gas off.

About 400F for about four hours should do it. :)

lol i dont think my chincy walmart saucers and clear plastic will hold up to that heat... :o

• 4 weeks later...

only time i have seen leaves turn that white was from light bleaching. I'm thinking you are vegging with floro's (probably not t-5's) and setting them straight under HID's. FFOF shouldn't be doing that to your plants in a single week. You used well water then r/o water.. this is shocking your plants.... PH swing....

definitely some burning going on there

Your ph is way off and is the issue. First off you need dom lime for that fox farm crap or they'll yellow due to ph drop later in bloom. I'd use 2 tlbs per bag and perlite when mixing up your next batch of medium and keep your feed ph to 6.o to 6.2. For these girls add lime to the top of the pots and try to mix it in as best as ya can and start your waterings at a higher ph like 6.5 to 6.8 for water only and 6.2 for the feeds.

Foxfarms soil mixes SUCK and have ph issues in bloom. I've had it drop to the low 5's with run off in say girls at 4 weeks in bloom if no lime was used. I dropped f/f and went with sun shine mix number 4 and amended that with lime( same amount) 2 tbls of earthworm castings and roots excel at 2 tbls per 18 gallon tub of s/s mix. Oh and a bunch of large chunky perlite. I use 2 large coffee cans full of the perlite per 18 gal tub of mix.s/s mix is way cheaper then foxfarm crap so dump that and switch.

I run both flood and drain tables and reg pots(3 gal) with this mix and never seen another yellow leaf. I run this stuff in smart pots on my tables and feed 2 times per day for 3 minute floods in 2 gal pots at a ph of 5.9 and the girls stay dark waxy green thru=out the whole grow. No more yellow leafs and mid bloom or sooner like the f/f soils.

Like they said before check your run off when ya just water the girls with plain water. Set ph in the water to say 6.5 and pour in in till ya get a good run-off, then check that with your ph meter and see where it's at. It should be within a couple points of your starting water so if not you have issues. I'll tell ya now your gonna see it drop to the high 4's or low 5's and has the girls starving them selfs out as they can't up take at those ph levels..

Your easiest fix is to switch to the mix I'm using and add what I said to add and you'll be done with the yellowing girls. Another thing is dont let them dry out between waterings,, AT ALL or they yellow too. My flood pots are soaked always and the plants love it so keep them pots wet and heavy. water and feed when they just start to get a tad lighter then when ya first water as they like it wet.More it dries the more salts build up so keep them wet and happy.Only time i see yellowing now is if one of my 3 gal potted girls gets to dry and droops. When that happens you'll get yelloow leafs no matter what ya do afterwards.MJ don't like to get dry so keep them wet.....

We certainly disagree on some stuff. I don't think cannabis likes to stay constantly wet. I let my plants dry between waterings and don't have probs. A plant should dry at least slightly between waterings. Roots need oxygen......

I don't like my plants to stay dark waxy green through the enrire grow either. should have plenty of yellow going on when finished.... Dark green plants at finish means too many nutes and over nuted flavor.....

so if i use 3gal i should add 1/2 - 2/3 cup? is it possible to over do d. lime?

Thats WAY too much lime..... Yes, too much lime will cause your soil to become too alkaline and will burn your plants. 1/2 cup of lime added to a 3 gallon pot of any soil will surely kill your plants.

i've read 2 tablespoons per gallon of soil, and 2 teaspoons which should i follow, anyway's i bought that bale of ssm4, liking it so far, the gardenstore guy said there was already ewc and lime in this, and that i shouldnt need to add any more. your thoughts? i've also been reading that too much nitrogen at a young age will delay flowering and can cause a calcium lockout. judging by my lemon skunk, and haze they have the claw look on the older growth part way up, with the start of calcium def.

i've read 2 tablespoons per gallon of soil, and 2 teaspoons which should i follow, anyway's i bought that bale of ssm4, liking it so far, the gardenstore guy said there was already ewc and lime in this, and that i shouldnt need to add any more. your thoughts? i've also been reading that too much nitrogen at a young age will delay flowering and can cause a calcium lockout. judging by my lemon skunk, and haze they have the claw look on the older growth part way up, with the start of calcium def.

The claw look is either too much water or a PH problem.

Archived