I Never Saved A Life Before

sitting here today. just finished the garden chores, smoking one getting ready to trim the two lemoncakes I harvested. My neighbor comes screaming on my porch. call 911, Brian please help! I run next door where she leads me to their bathroom. her 21 yo daughter is lying on the floor. cord still around her neck. she's purple. no pulse no breathing. I removed the cord and started CPR. CPR I learned in boy scouts over 30 years ago! after what seemed like an hour but was closer to 2 minutes I feel her heart beating!! I switch to just breathing for her. the pulse gets stronger! after another hour ( 2 min.) she begins to breathe, slowly at first. after several more assisted breaths started breathing regularly and her color returned. I live in Detroit. it took at least 15 to 20 minutes for the cops to show and another 5 for the ambulance. she never regained consciousness and her pupils were still fixed and dialated when they took her away. lets hope there's no brain damage. but, I SAVED A LIFE!!

sitting here today. just finished the garden chores, smoking one getting ready to trim the two lemoncakes I harvested. My neighbor comes screaming on my porch. call 911, Brian please help! I run next door where she leads me to their bathroom. her 21 yo daughter is lying on the floor. cord still around her neck. she's purple. no pulse no breathing. I removed the cord and started CPR. CPR I learned in boy scouts over 30 years ago! after what seemed like an hour but was closer to 2 minutes I feel her heart beating!! I switch to just breathing for her. the pulse gets stronger! after another hour ( 2 min.) she begins to breathe, slowly at first. after several more assisted breaths started breathing regularly and her color returned. I live in Detroit. it took at least 15 to 20 minutes for the cops to show and another 5 for the ambulance. she never regained consciousness and her pupils were still fixed and dialated when they took her away. lets hope there's no brain damage. but, I SAVED A LIFE!!

Back in my wildlife i suffered a incident while on the phone with my buddy who just got out of the navy next thing i remember I'm at u of m with tubes down my throat after getting home i found out that my buddy jumped in his car drove the 2 miles to my house and brought me back to life with CPR he learned while in the navy i owe him my life and now hopefully all is better with her she owes you hers . :mellow:

Your a hero brother . :goodjob:

Very nice work.

Someday this will be remembered.

I sure as hell will never forget it.

I was there. I was just on my way out the door as all this happened, I do not know Bri's neighbors and did not want to run up in their house with them, also I was not clear as to what was going on as I did not hear what the lady said. All I heard was yelling about someone was dead, and to call 911. So once the police were on their way I left. I did not want to be the gawking by-stander and police scare the living crap out of me. Still I can not help but feeling some shame for leaving so abruptly. Bri, you da man. I really hope things turn out well for your neighbors, and as always let me know if I can help.

well, her mom just called. her organs started shutting down last night so they froze her to give them a chance to stablize. her first cat scan showed no brain activity however another test early this morning did show some activity. they plan to start the thaw tonight. the next 72 hours will tell the tale.

on another note. I'm still in a daze and kind of stuned about the whole ordeal. part of me thinks it was all for nothing if she doesn't pull through but then again, she'd never have had ANY chance w/o my help. another part of me is mad as hell. how could you do this to your family. your 3 year old son may never know his mother. how bad can things be that you could do that to your own kid?

Well done my friend. Courage is not the lack of fear, it is the ability to act despite being afraid. You did well and it is now in God's hands.

Dr. Bob

PS, she had NO chance if you didn't act, you've done everything you could.

on another note. I'm still in a daze and kind of stuned about the whole ordeal. part of me thinks it was all for nothing if she doesn't pull through but then again, she'd never have had ANY chance w/o my help. another part of me is mad as hell. how could you do this to your family. your 3 year old son may never know his mother. how bad can things be that you could do that to your own kid?

dude, this wasn't ALL for nothing. you got to see a part of yourself that a lot of us never get/make the chance to see. you have power. that power was used to try to help another. you NEVER KNOW what occurs in those final days and hours before someone passes. those extra hours may be exactly what her mother needed to process the potential loss of her daughter. those extra few moments of brain activity may have been some sort of reconciliation occurring in that young woman's mind/soul about her life and child and what it meant. you gave that to both of them. grab a good nap, and let yourself feel okay for doing the part you were given to do. don't let that girl's act of desperation hurt another innocent victim. (you)

Archived