Letters: Medical Community Not Part Of Medical Marijuana

Letters: Medical community not part of medical marijuana

http://www.freep.com/article/20110613/OPINION04/106130317/Letters-Medical-community-not-part-medical-marijuana

We, the public health and medical community, should rise up and yell: "We wuz robbed!" ("Is medical pot law workable?" June 9).

We were not consulted, nor did we realize what a diabolically clever measure this law was. The deal is between the marijuana industry and the "caregivers," not physicians, not nurses, etc. They don't need the business.

There is no such thing as "medical marijuana." Place two packets of marijuana side by side; label one "medical marijuana" and the other "pot." They are identical! The medical part lends an aura of respectability; so it is accepted.

Maurice S. Reizen MD

Chair, Ingham County Board of Health Lansing

Posted by:

Michael Komorn

They were consulted, they choose not to listen or have input. Currently there are 30,000 active physicians in this state, only 2200 have written even one recommendation for MMJ. I too believed MMJ was simply an excuse for illegal drug use. It had no medical value, or so I was taught in Medical School. I was wrong, convinced by opening my eyes to the results in my patients- and my patients are the ones I serve. I still don't use myself (thought I was having a problem yesterday and a brownie would have been darn nice- stuck with vicodin and motrin), but patients have a right to make their own health care choices based on their life experience. If you use, it works for you, and it cuts down your need for prescription narcotics, glaucoma meds, or seizure meds, you have a choice now. That is a good thing.

Dr. Bob

They were consulted, they choose not to listen or have input. Currently there are 30,000 active physicians in this state, only 2200 have written even one recommendation for MMJ. I too believed MMJ was simply an excuse for illegal drug use. It had no medical value, or so I was taught in Medical School. I was wrong, convinced by opening my eyes to the results in my patients- and my patients are the ones I serve. I still don't use myself (thought I was having a problem yesterday and a brownie would have been darn nice- stuck with vicodin and motrin), but patients have a right to make their own health care choices based on their life experience. If you use, it works for you, and it cuts down your need for prescription narcotics, glaucoma meds, or seizure meds, you have a choice now. That is a good thing.

Dr. Bob

Now if you could convince the other 27,800 doctors to open their eyes to the healing powers of Mj what a better place it would be.

Now if you could convince the other 27,800 doctors to open their eyes to the healing powers of Mj what a better place it would be.

I am trying, but every time one gets busted for pre-signing certs, doing no record certs, or other unprofessional nonsense it makes that tougher.

Dr. Bob

Dick...replied as follows in free press

DickTurpin

8:01 AM on June 13, 2011

"The deal is between the marijuana industry and the "caregivers" No its not you arrogant S.O.B.!

Its PATIENTS LEGITIMATE PATIENTS Who for years have been saying there is something in cannabis that works but the U.S.A.'s false war on drugs prevents any real science.

The AMA's stranglehold on medicine in this country is appalling and costing lives every day. Pharma lobbyists have bought off Washington DC and even politicians at the local level. What happened the AMA didn't want cannabis outlawed in the 1930's because they said then "marijuana has medicinal values" remember your oath.

You and your colleges should be screaming for the right to research cannabis hell you may find a cure for some cancers, look at what Rick Simpson found.

Dr's no longer have the right to the pedestal you've been replaced by people like Jack Herer, Rick Simpson, Joe Cain, and others who know the truth about cannabis and its miracle medicinal values.

Sir I have no reason to say that to you

Call me paranoid, just checking. In that case I am in complete agreement with you concerning the author of the letter. Your post changed, all that was up there was Dick. The context is clear now, sorry.

Dr. Bob

Call me paranoid, just checking. In that case I am in complete agreement with you concerning the author of the letter. Your post changed, all that was up there was Dick. The context is clear now, sorry.

Dr. Bob

Its ok Dr. Bob were all paranoid at this point they made us feel like this! But thanks again for sticking your neck out for us patients.

Those people who think their education is all they need, need to open their eyes. It's good to know there are doctors who do listen to their patients. I sure wish the others would listen. In life, education, like anything else, has its place, so does Intuition and plain old common sense. Education alone won't be enough to survive. Life offers such a variety of knowledge, especially from experience. Those people who are arguing about MM need to talk to some patients, they need to see the testimonials- hey that's an idea! Send them the info to where they can see the testimonials!

What a thing to say about putting 2 bags of Mj side by side. Hey, If I put two bottles of pills together, the only way I know one is medicine and one is not is BY ITS LABEL! So make sure your MM has a label. Too bad those idiots still wouldn't acknowledge it, their minds are already set against it. It's sad that med students are taught Mj has no medicinal value. THAT HAS TO CHANGE.

Sb

Dr. Bob

And in that vein .. Thank you VERY much for all the work that you do. You are on the front lines and do a HUGE amount of good work.

We have a unusual situation in our nation.

The medical profession, by and large, is completely ignorant about cannabis and its benefits.

The great majority of doctors have had zero educational training about cannabis. The schools think "why bother?" And the students agree. It may be a nice general concept, but if you can't apply the knowledge, there is no need to study it.

So they have zero training. And they are forbidden from gaining field experience.

So, by law, they are the experts. Experts that know zero.

That is the status of our medical profession on this topic.

The blind leading the blind. Arranged by law.

Those people who think their education is all they need, need to open their eyes. It's good to know there are doctors who do listen to their patients. I sure wish the others would listen. In life, education, like anything else, has its place, so does Intuition and plain old common sense. Education alone won't be enough to survive. Life offers such a variety of knowledge, especially from experience. Those people who are arguing about MM need to talk to some patients, they need to see the testimonials- hey that's an idea! Send them the info to where they can see the testimonials!

What a thing to say about putting 2 bags of Mj side by side. Hey, If I put two bottles of pills together, the only way I know one is medicine and one is not is BY ITS LABEL! So make sure your MM has a label. Too bad those idiots still wouldn't acknowledge it, their minds are already set against it. It's sad that med students are taught Mj has no medicinal value. THAT HAS TO CHANGE.

Sb

Working on it.....

Best way is to provide a good example.

Dr. Bob

Working on it.....

Best way is to provide a good example.

Dr. Bob

Thought you would be interested in this.

A patient with reoccurring skin cancer. Don't know how it's spelled. Squalmus cell carcinoma.

He has had surgery three times before to get rid of the cancer. Large areas of his face had been removed.

It's now come back for a forth time. Currently the cancer on his forehead has shrunk about 80%. He has taken a series of pictures that he is providing me copies of.

I'll be posting that series of pictures as a video on you tube as soon as I get them in.

Thought you would be interested in this.

A patient with reoccurring skin cancer. Don't know how it's spelled. Squalmus cell carcinoma.

He has had surgery three times before to get rid of the cancer. Large areas of his face had been removed.

It's now come back for a forth time. Currently the cancer on his forehead has shrunk about 80%. He has taken a series of pictures that he is providing me copies of.

I'll be posting that series of pictures as a video on you tube as soon as I get them in.

Awesome!

Dick...replied as follows in free press

DickTurpin

8:01 AM on June 13, 2011

"The deal is between the marijuana industry and the "caregivers" No its not you arrogant S.O.B.!

Its PATIENTS LEGITIMATE PATIENTS Who for years have been saying there is something in cannabis that works but the U.S.A.'s false war on drugs prevents any real science.

The AMA's stranglehold on medicine in this country is appalling and costing lives every day. Pharma lobbyists have bought off Washington DC and even politicians at the local level. What happened the AMA didn't want cannabis outlawed in the 1930's because they said then "marijuana has medicinal values" remember your oath.

You and your colleges should be screaming for the right to research cannabis hell you may find a cure for some cancers, look at what Rick Simpson found.

Dr's no longer have the right to the pedestal you've been replaced by people like Jack Herer, Rick Simpson, Joe Cain, and others who know the truth about cannabis and its miracle medicinal values.

AMA has finally stepped up and agreed, much to DEAs chagrin, that Cannabis does have therapeutic properties.

Since its founding the AMA has been under government pressure, to restrict the level of health care that we are allowed. It has allowed insurance co.s to dictate what we pay, what they allow and in fact what are appropriate medicines to prescribe. Then they have required doctors to carry malpractice insurance. The bottom line it's our health that is of concern, and all this has done is to raise the cost of health care and restrict the type of care we desire while they arbitrarily determine the level of care and medicine they approve of.

20/20 hindsight ? Just pointing out AMA has changed their opinion. [ finally ! ]

(My response in their forums) :thumbsu:

Kingdiamond9

6:06 PM on June 13, 2011

Hydracodone was destroying my kidneys and the rest of my body i always looked pale and rarely cared about eating once the medical marijuana law passed i was one of the first to get my card in early 09 since Ive put my weight back on got color back in my skin and I'm enjoying life again a far cry from the opiate vampire i once was who rarely left the house .

So this medical doctor AKA pill pusher can put his opinion up his rear. :rock:

Archived