New Proposed Federal Mmj Bill (Hr 1983)

lilbuddy

Hi to All,

For those of you that thought that there was no light at the end of the tunnel read this!!! On May 25, 2011 Senator Frank from Massachusetts proposed a Bill that would change the Scheduling of Marijuana other than a Class I or II Controlled Substance.It most importantly will also knock the DEA and the FEDS off our backs as long as we are legal, possessing a doctors reccommendation, and have a qualifying condition. The only part I don't particularly care for is what many of us saw the potential for; subsection 1.C which basically states that the state may, "authorize pharmacies or other authorized entities to distribute to qualified patients" (sounds like Big Pharma). Other than that, this bill may be what we have all hoped and prayed for. Attached is the two links.

My link and My link

Thanks,

lilbuddy

Hey Guys,

Sorry the links did not download correctly. I am trying to download them again. If they don't work I am typing them in manually for those that are interested.

My link

and

My link

www.opencongress.org\bill\112-h1983\text

and

www.stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2011/may/26/three_medical_marijuana_bills_fi

Thanks,

lilbuddy

I think this link works:

https://www.capwiz.c...lertid=49870501

just do it .. today, tomorrow and the day after that. Keep calling and sending in messages.

I was able to send to Levin and Walberg my house rep when doing so independently but Sen Stabenow wouldn't go through she may be one that doesn't take emails . I will go to her site with a cut and paste . So if anyone else has trouble do them one at a time and Senator Stabenow might be reached here .

http://stabenow.senate.gov/?p=contact

The direct link worked though you must include a phone number for Sen Stabenow . Stabenow is a huge target in 2012 and a Tea Party Candidate who is well known outside politics is about to announce their candidacy .

Remember in any references to our Senators and Representatives to be respectful . There are just over 100 people who create policy for our State and offending and loosing any ear would be extremely detrimental to continuing discourse and mutual respect .

I was dismayed to hear there was a gathering of Catholic Church Leaders at Cobo Hall this weekend asking for reform within their Church yet nobody addressed garnering the Support of all Catholics for Medical Marihuana Patients in our State . Under the philosophy of Saint Thomas Aquinas as supported by the principles of double effect medicinal cannabis use is permissible under Church Doctrine yet we find most parishioners are confused on this issue . Their support in our State and our Nation is crucial as they are estimated to represent approximately 22% of the population . It is just a matter of education as Church Doctrine as practiced for centuries supports our cause . The Catholic Church has a history in Michigan of being leaders in tending to the sick and dieing at one point administering many of our Hospitals still in use today .

HiEveryone,

here is the Link for Congressman Dave Camp of District 14. Tri- Cities + 14 surrounding counties. When you click on the write Dave or the Contact us button you will need to know you 4 digit suffix for your zip code. Write soon next session is in a month.

My link

Thanks,

lilbuddy

HR1983: States’ Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act Bill Text and One Pager

* Fred Upton, R-MI, District 6, is the Chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, where HR 1983 has been assigned. Call (202) 225-3716 and urge him to sign on today!

*If our community had to pick one of these three bills to move forward, it would be HR1983. When you review it, you will see why.

Things are moving quickly. I saw on CNBC today that the Scotts Miracle Grow corporation is preparing to enter the medical cannabis field by developing a line of marijuana specific fertilizers. They make a lot of lawn fertilizers, so I suppose that their experience at growing "grass" will easily transpose into growing cannabis?

If this bill is a real crack in the dike, it appears to have republican support too. Below is the response I received from my congressman, a republican and a physician, to a previous message I emailed him.

Dear Brad:

Thank you for taking the time to communicate with me regarding medical marijuana. As your elected representative, I appreciate the opportunity to learn your views, and I also happen to agree with you.

As you may know, the "States' Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act," and other legislation protecting medical marijuana users were introduced in the House. If enacted, H.R. 1983 would prohibit any provision of the "Controlled Substances Act" from restricting state laws legalizing the use of medical marijuana. Additionally, this measure would provide for the reclassification of marijuana, recognizing the plant's accepted medical use.

I am in favor of using marijuana for medical purposes. As a general surgeon, I am aware of the therapeutic benefits marijuana can provide to individuals suffering from a serious illness or chronic pain. In my opinion, state laws can regulate the use of marijuana for medical purposes, while ensuring that it is not used illegally. The Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution expresses the principle of federalism: powers not granted to the federal government nor prohibited to the states by the Constitution are reserved, respectively, to the states or the people. In my judgment, the federal government is prohibited from interfering with state health laws, which properly reflect the will of citizens of the various states.

This bill has been referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. Although I do not serve on this committee, should H.R. 1983 come to the floor of the House for a vote, be assured I will carefully consider this legislation with your views in mind.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share with me your opinion—I value hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Dan Benishek M. D.

Member of Congress

P.S. I would also like to invite you to visit my website, www.benishek.house.gov, for further information. If you have not already done so, please submit your email address so that my office may keep you informed on issues in Congress.

And so, there is a glimmer of light......

I thought I would dig a little into the House Committee on Energy and Commerce and boy did I strike GOLD! (http://energycommerce.house.gov/about/members.shtml)

The House Committee on Energy and Commerce is Chaired by Michigan Republican, Fred Upton of the 6th District (southwest corner of the state including Kalamazoo). Upton is a supporter of medical marijuana (http://www.veteransformedicalmarijuana.org/content/information-patients), so this bill should sail through that Committee, but with a long road ahead of it. (more info: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-1983)

The question is there support in the senate for a companion bill? And what will the bill ultimately look like if it ever makes it to Obama, who I'm not sure will sign it?

Another poster commented about watching the money. Sage advice indeed. If the corporations have figured out how to capitalize on it, then we are likely to see quick changes. (not the best source but the info is there: http://xcannabis.com/2011/05/low-and-behold-they-want-to-reschedule-cannabis/)

EDIT: ADDED LINK TO HOUSE COMMITTEE

If this bill is a real crack in the dike, it appears to have republican support too. Below is the response I received from my congressman, a republican and a physician, to a previous message I emailed him.

I got the same letter today that you got! I posted it somewhere but forgot where. Somewhere in the activism section.

Sb

Dear XXXXXXXX, ,

Thank you for contacting me about the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes. I understand your concern for seriously ill patients and their suffering, and I appreciate hearing your views on this matter.

As you may know, on May 14, 2001, the United States Supreme Court issued a ruling regarding medical marijuana. The decision states that the federal law regarding the distribution of marijuana supersedes state laws in this matter. The Supreme Court ruled that since marijuana is classified as a Schedule I drug, its distribution is not legal under federal law.

If any legislation related to medical marijuana use comes before me for a vote, I will keep your concerns in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator

DS:ma

U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow

The United States Senate • Washington, DC 20510

I saw it SB and commented about the similar nature of the letters.

hehe .. you probably didn't see it. But I said, at the end, watch what happens over the next few days.

some juju

Time to push on that hill a little harder?

John and I talked, while we were on the way up, about doing this at your place.

Hey Brad,

The link on rescheduling Cannibis is a major eye opener!!! We knew of the Old Mississippi Pot Farm for 30 years or more. I never though they were just growing it for ornamental use. I knew they were researching it but all those listings are kind of in support of what all of us know are benefits of Cannibis. If you reread HR-183, it states that Cannibis will be rescheduled to something [b]other[/b] than a I or II on the Controlled list. Hopefully this will still allow us as caregivers and patients to produce our own medicine. I have seen some breif stories on the news but don't know any specifics for dates or channels of broadcast so if anyone else knows please put it out here.

It was basically a blip that "private entities are in search of Large Marijuana Grow operations for potential business opportunities". Sounds like Big Pharma on a fishing expedition to look for someone to produce Meds for them. Personally, if Big Pharma steps in, I will still grow my own medicine as we really will never know what conditions they grow in or what kind of chemicals or nutes and ferts are used. They may have additives that are very harmful if ingested, not like thats anything new to them with all their pills!!!! God, I pray thats not what is going to happen.

Thanks for all the links and your diggin up the info,

lilbuddy

• 2 months later...

I know HR 2306 which is the federal bill to end mj prohibition continues to gather more and more co sponsors, ultimately the more co sponsors a bill gets the harder it is for the committee its been assigned to, to ignore it. These bills need to have voter support, meaning people need to call their congressmen and ask them to support the bills.

Archived