Ok, so I am not all that experienced with Sativas, mostly indica. Have a Sativa that I am blooming, and its about 5 weeks into 12/12 cycle. Last week it just exploded with little buds all over. So I am thinking, finally, she is full on into bloom...

So saturday afternoon I change out her water. She is in a bubble bucket. She's been drinking 1/2 gal per day, doesn't seem to have much evaporation. She's getting BIG.

So Satuday I changed water, ppm at 1050, PH at 5.8... Sunday night she is down 1 gal, since I just changed water on saturday, I refill with PH 5.8 water, check the PH and go to bed. I get home tonight, and she is down 1 more gal... So I check all levels, ph shot up to 6.8, PPM is down to 300!! 2.5 days and she dropped 750ppm.

Now the odd part is no nute burn at all. All leaves look amazing, full lush green leaves bigger than my hand, and I have big hands. No brown or yellow, leaf tips turned slightly down but not curled.

So my question is growers, a) should I keep doing what I am doing? b) do I drop in a bunch more nutes to get her water back up to say 700-800?

i am not used to a plant taking to much in such a short time. I normally only change water once a week, but I don't want to give her 5 more days of 300ppm...At the same time, I don't want to cram so many nutes down her that she does burn.

Ideas?

Cedar

Sounds like shes doing great besides the recent drop ? " If its not broke, why fix it ?"

On the other hand, i bet shes a strong sativa, and can handle a lot of what you throw at her. Id give her more nutes and see how she likes it, if she does burn, just flush and keep on the way you were.

Just going by the way you say shes growing "BIG" i bet she would love it :)

I dont have a lot of experience growing, but i have some...lol.

Lets see some pics :thumbsu:

Remember there just a weed ...

No Disrespect to our Lady's ....

I've grown some heavily sativa strains ...

I also agree that as long as they look healthy and

are a nice color green , i really see No Issues ...

Sativas are useally great for Daytime use ...

How many weeks does it take to finish ?

Most of the strains I grew were 8-9 weeks

which seemed like forever ...

I always started flushing mine in the 7th week

and Never gave them anything till harvest , but

water ...

Yes some pictures would be helpful ..

I too am No Master Grower , and am learning very slowly ...

I 'll be watching this thread ...

Unfortunately she's in a dark cycle until I get home from work, so I'll grab some pics tonight. Big of course is relative, as I try to keep em small and turn more often. She's about 3 ft tall right now and bushy wide. I know that's small for a sativa, but she was only about 8 inches when I went into bloom because I was afraid of stretch. Then had some heat issues very early on, but now that those are all taken care of, she went from about 15 inches to 3 feet in 2 weeks.

So consensus is give her more food and watch her closely it sounds like.

I tried trimming her up, but she wants nothing of that. For every leaf I pull off, she grows 3 more. For every small bud I pull, she grows 2 more. Kinda like pulling gray hairs...

I only have 1 of her in flower now, I hope all of her other clones do as well if the end product turns out nice.

I am not sure how many weeks to finish. I was planning on 10-11, but she took a while to start budding. Might have to go 12. unfortunately I don't know the strain, I am hoping to get a good finish on her and get some experts to see if they can guess.

Cedar

if you lose water and add water without add back nutes you should be losing nutes and have rising PH. Lower concentration of nutes will raise PH ,heavy concentration will lower PH choking the roots and opening the door for pythium. If you lose a gallon and ppm and PH are the same then you hit the sweet spot where it is taking up nutes and water in a balanced proportion. If ppm rise and ph lowers , too much nutes they can't eat it all. If ppm drops and PH rises they want more nutes. The trick is finding that optimal spot. That being said underfed is much better to deal with than overfed.Keep on top of it , maybe preset your refill water with desired PH and PPM before you add back , might give you more consistency. good luck . Peace

root rot.. (AKA-BACTERIA) --in the first stages... ppm lowers and ph shoots up.

Get some subculture b and only put in half the recommended dose, or you will have a white slime explosion. If this happens dont freak out, its ok ..Give it 3 days or so it will clear up. what its doing is eating all the dead root matter and bad bacteria ...

Root rot.. (AKA-BACTERIA)

signs...

Ph shoots up for no reason you keep adding downs but its still climbing..

Ppm will start a drastic drop..

Plants look like there over watered (when u grew in dirt)

After a week of the above you will see them start to yellow and wilt like a cal mag problem

That will turn to what looks like ph lock out after another 3-5 days.. about the same time u start to see the black slime starting on the roots.

Thing to remember is bacteria eats nutes also.. matter of fact that's the main reason to add it to fish tanks is to eat nitrate out of the water.

res temps?? room temps?? i bet water is in the 75 ish range,,

Guest Happy Guy

I always add full strength nute water to top off. Never add just nutes. Never add plain water. The only time I use the ppm meter is when preparing solution. After that, ppm is a crap shoot. This advice is for big eaters that are moving ahead at full steam.

root rot.. (AKA-BACTERIA) --in the first stages... ppm lowers and ph shoots up.

Get some subculture b and only put in half the recommended dose, or you will have a white slime explosion. If this happens dont freak out, its ok ..Give it 3 days or so it will clear up. what its doing is eating all the dead root matter and bad bacteria ...

signs...

Plants look like there over watered (when u grew in dirt)

After a week of the above you will see them start to yellow and wilt like a cal mag problem

That will turn to what looks like ph lock out after another 3-5 days.. about the same time u start to see the black slime starting on the roots.

Thing to remember is bacteria eats nutes also.. matter of fact that's the main reason to add it to fish tanks is to eat nitrate out of the water.

res temps?? room temps?? i bet water is in the 75 ish range,,

Res temps are 68-70. Room temps: lights off 60, lights on 74-78 (depends on if my central AC comes on or not, as I have a vent open in my buffer room now).

I definitely have ppm drop and PH rise. PPM went from 1050 to 300 in just over 2 days, and PH shot up to 6.5 from 5.8. I am confident in those numbers as I use a Blue Labs 3 in one meter... I'll see if I can grab some subculture B today, just to have it handy.

Guest Happy Guy

PH always shoots up when the nutes are running out. Just add full strength solution to top off. Once you have added the total amount of what the res holds then it is time for a total change. Works every time. :thumbsu:

Guest Happy Guy

This is a bubble bucket with no spare res... I will be changing water about every 3 days!!! Guess it's time to expand into a larger res system.

Yeah. With a large root ball you probably have very little res. left.

Green-nubie wrote:

signs...

PPM rises and PH DROPS from root rot(pythium). This is because the roots can't take up any nutes , so you get ppm rise from rot with PH going lower. Nubie , do a search on PH drop from rot. PH stand s for potential hydrogen . When plants are feeding well,as they take up nutes and water, they drop hydroxyl ions as waste into the water raising the PH (potential hydrogen). So again rising ph and dropping nutes is good if you don't have a preset topoff system , rising ppm and dropping PH is bad. means they aren't feeding and growing.Water is leaving but nutes are staying roots stagnate making them susceptible to rot. Check it out for yourself

Here is a pic of her 6 days ago... I know quality sucks, it was on my iphone... Ignore the brown leaf at the bottom, it was like that from the heat issues and what not I had, but it never died so I left it on there till last night...

She looks a lot better in person really :( not very photogenic I suppose...

post-2807-0-80686600-1308083226_thumb.jpg

By the look of that trunk, she has a lot of roots.

Yeah, I think in another few weeks she will have the whole bucket full and I will have to be changing water daily, and adding hourly...

I did notice tonight a few leaves are curled at the tips. Curled down, but still green. I think I am going to have to add a filler res to it soon. Roots are white and look healthy. Still no nute burn. Added water today (another gallon) at 950ppm and 5.8ph. Res can only take about 2.75gal now, and after adding res was at 420ppm and 5.8 ph (adjusted slightly).

I always knew this plant was a good rooter... We will see how she finnishes.

post-2807-0-92434600-1308110241_thumb.jpg

Guest Happy Guy

Maybe you need to upgrade to a trash can? I'm using an 18 gallon plant res and a 90 gallon auto filler with an RV water pump run by a float valve. My 18 gallons have the vortex sprayers along with the bubblers.

Green-nubie wrote:

signs...

PPM rises and PH DROPS from root rot(pythium). This is because the roots can't take up any nutes , so you get ppm rise from rot with PH going lower. Nubie , do a search on PH drop from rot. PH stand s for potential hydrogen . When plants are feeding well,as they take up nutes and water, they drop hydroxyl ions as waste into the water raising the PH (potential hydrogen). So again rising ph and dropping nutes is good if you don't have a preset topoff system , rising ppm and dropping PH is bad. means they aren't feeding and growing.Water is leaving but nutes are staying roots stagnate making them susceptible to rot. Check it out for yourself

If thats what your book says than stick with it..lol... research on root rot will lead you in circles..

your 5 min of time looking it up just to try to prove me wrong is really funny.. :goodjob:

I offered real world experience on this issue.. and a step by step of what to look out for..

( it's like a peater measuring contest around here..):angry:

My last grow I pulled a single bud(cluster or whatever) that was over 1.5 oz dry... That wasn't the plant, that was 1 bud. I guess mine is bigger :)

Personally I found both of your posts, Nubie and Romen to be helpful.

Root rot is pretty easy to spot once it is too late :) But if you can inspect your roots once in a while, and they are nice white spaghetti, you are probably pretty good.

HG, you have a 18 gal res for a single plant?

Any comments on the tips staying green and curling under? I have watched my temps closely, and my other plants don't seem to have this issue, however they don't have nearly the root or leaf base that this plant does...

I am still fearful that one time I am going to go into the room and this plant will look at me and say "Give me your car keys, and nobody gets hurt...."

Cedar

sign # 3-- Plants look like there over watered (when u grew in dirt) ...droopy and wilty looking..

A perky leaf with tips curling down. is usually heat related.

you said it best..Root rot is pretty easy to spot once it is too late :)

But it is there for a good week or 2 before you see the signs of it on the roots..

This stuff also works good for root health;

http://www.nutrilife...inorganic/sm90/

True..sm-90 is a cleaner..more of a water wetter, as it will helps with the uptake of elements in the water.

Also a great tool in foilar spraying..

It helps bug juice to do its thing and helps nute get through the leaf if feeding by spray.

Also has shown that it helps with the control of mites if you don't have any yet, but if infested it will not cure the problem.

But main problem is if used in the root zone it will help kill off all bacteria and fungi, that includes and good bacteria (sub-b) you put in there..

If thats what your book says than stick with it..lol... research on root rot will lead you in circles..

your 5 min of time looking it up just to try to prove me wrong is really funny.. :goodjob:

I offered real world experience on this issue.. and a step by step of what to look out for..

( it's like a peater measuring contest around here..):angry:

Easy dude , not trying to one up you just puttin out what my experience and research has shown , not 5 minutes , just puttin out info .You say the research will lead you in circles? circles or not the info is out there so we will all believe and follow what has worked and been shown to us. I'm not in a contest so don't take it so personal .Chill out, I don't know you and vice-versa. Make a point , don't make insults.Let's have dialog. Good Luck

To me it appears to be short on aeration

causing the wilt (overwatered look)

Hydrogen peroxide treatment and more oxygen would be my guess

Oh that's a good one. I have 1 bubbler in the bottom and a air lift to spit on the top. I'll see if I can get a second bubbler in it as the bubbles are all pushed to 1 side now, and I can't relocate it because it is completely covered in roots.

And thanks guys for the recommendation on adding more nutes. I have her back up to about 700ppm, and she is growing like there is no tomorrow. I had about 3 inches of growth yesterday... I don't want it growing anymore, I want it to just BLOOM!

Another 2 feet and I am going to run out of space :(

Archived