Prosecutor From Livingston County-Morse: I'm Not Against Medical Pot

i love reading this stuff... i know onething, when i had my room built i made sure there was a dead bolt on the door, but the one thing that i cant find out anywhere is .... what is the law about having a ccw and being a pt/cg .. should i keep my gun in the garage lol

Hi Marcus !!!

If you have a firearm around your MMJ, even with a CCW, you are taking a big chance. If for whatever reason they charged you on some MMJ issue, if you have a firearm around you could get convicted for a 2 yr Fed Prison rap !!

I got rid of my pistol for just that reason.

dr. Jinx

According to the law, they are not allowed to deny you anything. HOWEVER, as Jinx said, they aren't really following the law, and Fed's won't care if you have a card and a registered firearm, they will bust you anyway.

Keeping it in the garage won't help matters much. There is a woman in Oregon I think that won a case allowing her to keep her pistol and her MMJ card, but it is still a really tricky situation. Best to keep it off-site or get rid of it unless you want to be a test case. You might end up winning if you get a judge who really follows the law, but it isn't a chance I would want to take.

Hi Marcus !!!

If you have a firearm around your MMJ, even with a CCW, you are taking a big chance. If for whatever reason they charged you on some MMJ issue, if you have a firearm around you could get convicted for a 2 yr Fed Prison rap !!

I got rid of my pistol for just that reason.

dr. Jinx

I agree

Dr. Bob

The law does not say anything about keeping meds locked up. The reason we are discussing keeping them locked up is that if you left them out where many people had access, in large quantities, you could get in trouble for negligence. Dr Bob is also using this as a way to show a divide between patients, to prove x amount is for patient x and y amount is for patient y, and be able to prove it is that way.

I keep my meds mostly secured, but not under lock and key. I might eventually once I pay off my grow room get a air tight safe (humidor) to keep them in, but for now, I rest assured that I do not have to keep them locked. You just have to be responsible with them.

Cedar

It is a comfort to know when other reasonable people interpret the law in a similar way . I do try to be cautious and responsible .too . I want to use a garden window because it would be safer to grow without lamps that make extreme heat and drive up costs by $40 to $90 a month for me and it appears legal in every way if locked inside and out . I would feel much better knowing if I went to the hospital the worst that could happen is plants died and there was no fire threat like if lamps were on timers even though it would be remote and I could have people that secure the premises if permitted emergency access ? Nobody addresses this in literal interpretations but in every other part of the world the qualified patient just has to be there when others are helping with deliveries or lifting items in the room . Some people don't know one person that can always assist them as a single caregiver . Laws have to be enforced reasonabley .

I have been thinking about this and just because you can see a TV in a window doesn't mean your inviting people to steal they should know better so this concept that we hide our activity makes no sense the same as Sheriff Bezotte stated he would not help medicinal patients who had theft issues in the Press . To my knowledge he never publically corrected that image from a rash comment leaving patients vulnerable . "We're waiting for the first time that somebody calls us and wants to us to investigate someone stealing their marijuana. We're going to take that really serious," Livingston County Sheriff Bezotte said jokingly. Were all learning and I hope the Sheriff regrets that statement and what it inf-ired to criminals in the public and could put people in jeopardy though that isn't the public perception and for patients that is sad . We all have to cooperate together . The support of Officials is crucial to those sick , injured and dieing .This is a follow up to the recent article . Many in Law Enforcement since they are healthy or let go do not understand hidden illness and disability .

http://www.livingsto...dyssey=obinsite

This is the article with Sheriff Bezotte .

http://medicalmariju...hp?storyid=1963

C1 .. I think that's a risk that might be higher than you wish to take.

If you ever do attract the attention of thieves, they will return over and over again. Once a target has been established it's hard to get them to stop.

Next .. Livingston Co????? Up goes the risk factor as far as LEO goes.

With some officers, they will let you slide. With others, they want to nail you to the wall for anything at all.

You should try to get it locked up better than just in the window.

It may be legal, but it would be very expensive to prove it.

Archived