Do We Have Rights To Smoke In Student Housing?

Hi, so I will be attending Michigan Tech in the fall and amconcerned I will not have the right to consume my medicine within my new home (within student housing on university grounds). Does anyone have experience smoking their medicine inside their dorm room? What are our rights? Do we have any at all?

I don't want to go to school thinking it is alright only to find out I am mistaken and get kicked out. Any help is appreciated.

read the law,

[333.26427 Scope of act; limitations.

(B) on the grounds of any preschool or primary or secondary school;]

google the first line and it should take you right to the line. I'm pretty sure that includes all campus grounds, not just the classroom. flower what everyone else says, read the making whoopee law yerself.

WLPatiet

read the law,

[333.26427 Scope of act; limitations.

(B) on the grounds of any preschool or primary or secondary school;]

google the first line and it should take you right to the line. I'm pretty sure that includes all campus grounds, not just the classroom. flower what everyone else says, read the making whoopee law yerself.

WLPatiet

That statement does not include college and universities. A secondary school, as high as that goes, is High School., grades 9-12. The OP is asking about college, which the law does not comment on. Please understand the "making whoopee" law before you get all pissed off at someone else.

However, I suspect that the university will not allow it. Contact a guidance coulselor. Other than that, pills, vape, medilbes will be your friend while you live there.

if there is a no smoking policy, that means no smoking. any landlord can prohibit smoking, pets, etc. there is no exception for medical marijuana and don't try to push it. make other arrangements, consider medibles or oils, etc.

dr. bob

Then there is the option we pursued in College after the R.A. busted my roommate- take the steamroller out to your car and you can have a "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" moment as you roll out of the vehicle with billows of sweet smelling smoke. :pic:

Universities can certainly prohibit smoking in the dorms bu I think you are protected in the parking lot in your own vehicle. I agree with Dr. Bob (usually) that you should not push it.. :bow:

Except the parking lot can be considered a "public place". There lies the problem.

I would seriously contact a guidance counselor and ask about the policies. They probably don't allow smoking in the dorms at all, but there are other options. Also, if they allow E-Cigs, they may allow a vape. Best choice in my opinion is to ask someone who is paid to find out these things and who isn't going to judge :)

I asked a local college about its MMJ policy and was given a thank you for bringing up the issue. I was told that because the law had just passed (this was a few months ago), it would be address in the update student handbook. I offered to provide input, but was shot down.

Some schools have restrictions and appliances use, so I would not use a vaporizer.

Smoking in the car will leave you with a smell in your clothing. That smell will have you in violation of the “drug and alcohol” rules.

Don’t ask, don’t tell - Rub it, spray it, or eat it!

I was just at Baker College in Muskegon for orientation with my son. They gave a big speech there and made it very clear....ZERO TOLERANCE policy. I don't think it matters if you have a med card or not. My son talked to other students and their suggestion was to find friends with off campus housing. I don't like the idea of keeping the meds and such in the car. Not a good place to store that kind of thing. Someone had the suggestion of getting a small safe to keep the meds in inside of the room....said "that a safe cannot be searched??'' But to me when they say "Zero Tolerance" - they do mean Zero.

MMJ will not be permitted in any public school dormitory in the state.

That being said, I have a nearly fool proof way of using mmj discreetly in nearly any on or off campus living space. It involves building a small med storage cabinet with a homemade carbon filter, pc vent fan, and lockable hinged door. You may also need a small ozone regenerator. Depending on the placement of the room, a can of ozium could suffice. Some vaporizers eliminate the need for odor proofing the room. I don't recommend the volcano due to the price and high air/vapor ratio. It's one of the smelliest vapes around. Despite that, I did use one in a dorm for over a year. I'm waiting on the VapExhale. I've tried and liked Da buddha, the SSV and the Eclipse vape. I've heard very very good things about the Magic Flight Launch Box, the Vapexhale, the VripTech wand and most importantly for patients, the Purple Days. Do not waste money on an import knockoff. They're everywhere.

The student would obviously have to be very discreet about their use and divulge the information to no one with a loose tongue.

Archived