High Cpu Due To Banner Ad

Guest Mr Pepper

Guest Mr Pepper

Let me preface by saying thanks to the AMMA for supporting the MMMA.

That being said, can we get a different banner ad in place for them? It is pegging my CPU like crazy.

Thanks!

i run a quad core, and 8 mgs of ram.. and it sucks my cpu down using anywere from 4 to 20%.. ram is using 33% were that banner is.. just make it a static baner, not that killer flash..

Thats what its for, crank it up ! I picked up a similar one recently. This one is a just before the i3 like two dual cores duck taped together plus a decent 512m Video card. [around $400] I can run Autocad, 3dMax , Video, Internet browsing, Surveying software, blah blah ... hardly slows it down ! Dont do games anymore, so there's tons of Horse Power to spare these days ! Only problem now is my crappy ISP, charter.bums ...

ps I think you meant 8 gigs [ ramm ], we had 8 megs on the 286s back in the late 80s, think that was the first computer I ever bought. about the same price, had Autocad, Windows 3.1, Corel Draw, ... used of course !

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

Finally downloading an addon so I could see the file size they are within limits on size(30.7 of 40kb max), but being a newly made ad (maybe last month or so?) It may be compiled in a version of flash that is beyond some of our users computers capabilities.

I will get these changed out to static images today and AMMA can deal with their animated banners. Im not really sure of what the problem is, but it's obvious with the amount of complaints and the fact they got put up yesterday afternoon there does seem to be a problem. Also they are being served from their servers, and if they don't run a dedicated behemoth like us, that may be a culprit as well....most likely a combination of everything.

We will deal with it gals and guys.....

Best

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

I will say even on my system things load faster. I have no idea what the problem with those ads is. Things should be better for you guys. If not let me know.

Best all

I have no trouble with a flash banner ad with 25MB fiber optic and neither should anyone with even basic cable internet. It's only flash. I do have trouble with certain posts on the forum loading [freezing] where there are numerous embedded youtube music & comedy vids having nothing at all to do with medical cannabis.

Links would be better than using so much of the site bandwidth for serving up youtube vids which are not cannabis related. I have plenty of bandwidth, but serving the youtube vids do make the forum load much slower. Something is sucking bandwidth and I wouldn't think it could be a small flash banner. But what do I know.

Just a suggestion.

Peace. :thumbsu:

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

I have no trouble with a flash banner ad with 25MB fiber optic and neither should anyone with even basic cable internet. It's only flash. I do have trouble with certain posts on the forum loading [freezing] where there are numerous embedded youtube music & comedy vids having nothing at all to do with medical cannabis.

Links would be better than using so much of the site bandwidth for serving up youtube vids which are not cannabis related. I have plenty of bandwidth, but serving the youtube vids do make the forum load much slower. Something is sucking bandwidth and I wouldn't think it could be a small flash banner. But what do I know.

Just a suggestion.

Peace. :thumbsu:

Giving links to videos would help the individual with a slower comp, but has no bearing on "our" bandwidth. That's youtubes BW being used...Not ours. Same as Chat. That's why it's hosted by IPB servers. So we don't bare the brunt of the high BW utilized by most chat clients...

I wouldn't of thought the ads to be to intense either...but the proof is in the pudding. Already getting mass "atta boy"'s as well as noticing a difference myself. Must of been something with the way they were compiled. But, makes no never mind. They didn't work so they got changed...

And yes Firefox rules with the ads blocker add ons.....

I'm running an old HP Quad with 4 Gig. Runs pretty smooth. Recently installed IE9. Slowed it down considerably. Thanks, Bb

Sounds like you found the culprit [ie9] ? Maybe try Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, is what I'm using currently. Pretty sure somebody here suggested it.

Just looking at a comparison by MS they claim IE9 has more features ... like support for hardware acceleration . . . ?

By far my favorite feature is the Google language translator, available with their toolbar.

Thats what its for, crank it up ! I picked up a similar one recently. This one is a just before the i3 like two dual cores duck taped together plus a decent 512m Video card. [around $400] I can run Autocad, 3dMax , Video, Internet browsing, Surveying software, blah blah ... hardly slows it down ! Dont do games anymore, so there's tons of Horse Power to spare these days ! Only problem now is my crappy ISP, charter.bums ...

ps I think you meant 8 gigs [ ramm ], we had 8 megs on the 286s back in the late 80s, think that was the first computer I ever bought. about the same price, had Autocad, Windows 3.1, Corel Draw, ... used of course !

Yes i meant gigs, im old.. i built mine an did a comparison online, against and I3, pretty close in power, I dumped IE9 as well it sucked bad. I also run sli with 9800 vids 500mg each.

But that don't mean the flash ad isn't a hog. lol

Yes i meant gigs, im old.. i built mine an did a comparison online, against and I3, pretty close in power, I dumped IE9 as well it sucked bad. I also run sli with 9800 vids 500mg each.

But that don't mean the flash ad isn't a hog. lol

"No one could possibly use more than 640k of memory." Bill Gates

Archived