Michigan Supreme Court Takes Medical Pot Appeals

bobandtorey

DETROIT (AP) - The Michigan Supreme Court has agreed to hear two criminal cases about medical marijuana, the first such appeals accepted by the state's highest court since voters approved the limited use of pot in 2008.

In a case from Shiawassee County, a man had a medical marijuana card but was charged with drug crimes when police found pot growing outside in a dog kennel.

In a second case, from Oakland County, the issues include whether someone using marijuana must have consulted a doctor after the law was passed, not before.

In both, drug charges were dismissed by trial judges but restored by the Michigan Court of Appeals. The Supreme Court agreed to hear appeals in brief orders released Thursday.

The court said it would welcome any input from the attorney general and associations representing Michigan defense lawyers and prosecutors, as well as attorneys in the two cases.

In Michigan, marijuana can be used to alleviate the symptoms of certain illnesses if someone sees a doctor and gets a state-issued card. People can possess up to 2 1/2 ounces of ready-to-use marijuana and have up to 12 plants kept in a locked area. A registered caregiver also can grow the drug for them.

The law approved by voters nearly three years ago has caused much confusion. Some judges won't follow it, citing federal bans on possessing drugs. It's unclear whether the Supreme Court will address that issue.

Members of the State Bar of Michigan's criminal law section are recommending that Michigan follow Colorado and allow commercial sales of medical marijuana with strict oversight.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/michigan-supreme-court-takes-medical-pot-appeals-20110623-wpms

DETROIT (AP) - The Michigan Supreme Court has agreed to hear two criminal cases about medical marijuana, the first such appeals accepted by the state's highest court since voters approved the limited use of pot in 2008.

In a case from Shiawassee County, a man had a medical marijuana card but was charged with drug crimes when police found pot growing outside in a dog kennel.

In a second case, from Oakland County, the issues include whether someone using marijuana must have consulted a doctor after the law was passed, not before.

In both, drug charges were dismissed by trial judges but restored by the Michigan Court of Appeals. The Supreme Court agreed to hear appeals in brief orders released Thursday.

The court said it would welcome any input from the attorney general and associations representing Michigan defense lawyers and prosecutors, as well as attorneys in the two cases.

In Michigan, marijuana can be used to alleviate the symptoms of certain illnesses if someone sees a doctor and gets a state-issued card. People can possess up to 2 1/2 ounces of ready-to-use marijuana and have up to 12 plants kept in a locked area. A registered caregiver also can grow the drug for them.

The law approved by voters nearly three years ago has caused much confusion. Some judges won't follow it, citing federal bans on possessing drugs. It's unclear whether the Supreme Court will address that issue.

Members of the State Bar of Michigan's criminal law section are recommending that Michigan follow Colorado and allow commercial sales of medical marijuana with strict oversight.

http://www.myfoxdetr...s-20110623-wpms

Lets hope these Judges will be as smart as the other ones..

I wish you guys and your families didn't have to go through all this political B.S.

Bob I have met you personally and I wish you and yours the best when its your day in court. I will be there in court even if it does take several years like you said.

You own part of our law, it's these cases that the Supreme Court wants to decide that will make or break our law.

Sucks that you and Kingpinn are pawns in this game, and the longer it takes to resolve your cases, more and more people live in fear of this law of what is legal and what is not.

Many will plea and be convicted of a crime while the courts take their good ole time dragging you and you families through the assbackwards court system. :notfair:

Good luck guys!!

Trix :bong2:

Wait did I misunderstand that?????

quote "The law approved by voters nearly three years ago has caused much confusion. Some judges won't follow it, citing federal bans on possessing drugs. It's unclear whether the Supreme Court will address that issue."

Are they saying they MAY or MAY NOT address the fact that its MEDICAL MARIJUANA?????????

If these cases are seen in the Supreme Court and they don't recogize the states Medical Marijuana law. THE LAW IS DONE..

Bob, is that what they are saying here?

quote "The law approved by voters nearly three years ago has caused much confusion. Some judges won't follow it, citing federal bans on possessing drugs. It's unclear whether the Supreme Court will address that issue."

Are they saying they MAY or MAY NOT address the fact that its MEDICAL MARIJUANA?????????

If these cases are seen in the Supreme Court and they don't recogize the states Medical Marijuana law. THE LAW IS DONE..

It is a telling tale Trix, more of Fox Media Mangling and political opinion spin. Something like the notorious Spitball, from our #1 National Pastime Spectator Sport, IT also involves Pitching. I'm working on a version of my anti-bullshuitte pills to combat this evil menace ! Stay tuned ....

yeah test them pill's out lemme know how they work for you, Sharing is caring. :rolleyes:

I have a pretty high tolerance for bullchit, but man. I just watched the clip on the news about this story again a quick 20 second clip then they move on.

Now at least the title "War on drugs" now has a face and its the MMMA of 08 :sword: Good luck Bob, and Larry

At least they will be immortalized in Michigan history, not that it is of any great compensation, but im proud that my kids kids will be able to say "My grandfather knew those people".

I wish you guys and your families didn't have to go through all this political B.S.

Bob I have met you personally and I wish you and yours the best when its your day in court. I will be there in court even if it does take several years like you said.

You own part of our law, it's these cases that the Supreme Court wants to decide that will make or break our law.

Sucks that you and Kingpinn are pawns in this game, and the longer it takes to resolve your cases, more and more people live in fear of this law of what is legal and what is not.

Many will plea and be convicted of a crime while the courts take their good ole time dragging you and you families through the assbackwards court system. :notfair:

Good luck guys!!

At least they will be immortalized in Michigan history, not that it is of any great compensation, but im proud that my kids kids will be able to say "My grandfather knew those people".

Thanks to you and all for the kind words i wish Larry would come back and post here

• 4 weeks later...

That is NOT what they are saying. They are suggesting the Supremes in Michigan may not address the 10th amendment issue. This is probably a good thing because it should preclude a federal appeal if they merely rule on our law here in Michigan- and because nothing good can come of this court full of pathetic hacks bought and paid for by the insurance industry ruling on our constitutional rights.

If they stick to OUR law Bob should win this one. The issue is 'locked enclosed facility' not fundemental rights or anything else the hacks on the court try to come up with and twist beyond recognition.

"The court said it would welcome any input from the attorney general and associations representing Michigan defense lawyers and prosecutors..." That oughta be fair. Not. :thumbsd:

The court needs to welcome input from THE PEOPLE as the rights, freedoms, and liberties of THE PEOPLE are the only thing that matters. Certainly the opinion of corrupt officials is of no importance.

I don't think they did or didn't but in the city don't think it's good idea do to thieves an neighbors. Now if I fad a farm I might have a 16 footer with a tire swing in it to rest in while working the garden as long as it was in a locked enclosed facility.

I just hope they rule on our side of the fence and leave our rights alone. Best of luck to all the good people that's involved. .....Pops

OOPS guess they removed Chronics' quote I was referring to about outdoors growing . But sill hope the best to come from there ruling on this matter..

Archived