Calculating Dosage: How To Do The Math

The most common medible question seems to be "How much do I use?". I ran across this on another site and haven't tried it yet but it seems to be a good ratio. At the very least it gives a good starting point for contolling dosage.

Calculating dosage: How to do the math

Amount of MMJ used = 14 grams

Amount of fat (oil) = 8 ounces (remember, 1 cup equals 8 ounces!)

Concentration = 14 g / 8 oz = 1.75 grams per ounce of oil

The amount of cannabis in one recipe equals the amount of oil multiplied by the concentration:

1/3 cup = 2.7 oz, so:

(2.7 oz oil) x (1.75 g/oz) = 4.7 grams cannabis in this recipe

If a recipe makes 24 pieces, then 4.7g/24 cookies = 0.2 grams MMJ per cookie.

Some notes: Everyone has their own opinion, but I typically say one dose is 0.4 grams. Many people get relief using less, but others need more, or their need varies from day to day. The type and quality of cannabis used in the oil also factors in: bud is much stronger than shake (but less predictable potency), vaporized cannabis will be weaker and have a higher concentration of cannabinoids that vaporize at higher temperatures (which can be more sedating). Always start with a half dose, and then take the other half, just to make sure there were no calculation errors!

It is sooooo confusing!

Like- how do we take into account the THC/CBD content of the plant matter used?

I would think that the difference between something with 10% THC and 0.3 CBD would be less potent than something with 20% THC and 1.5 CBD's... but how would we calculate any of it????

:wacko:

are you serious?? .4 grams, that doesnt seem like a whole lot asince when i make oil or butter i make sure there is at least 2 grams per tablespoon which is 4 grams per ounce. and thats not even couch lock strength, thats just a regular pain relief strength, if i want to get high or even have couch lock, i either add some hash to the recipe i'm naking or i make my oil stronger that 2 grams per tablespoon.

It is sooooo confusing!

Like- how do we take into account the THC/CBD content of the plant matter used?

I would think that the difference between something with 10% THC and 0.3 CBD would be less potent than something with 20% THC and 1.5 CBD's... but how would we calculate any of it????

:wacko:

are you serious?? .4 grams, that doesnt seem like a whole lot asince when i make oil or butter i make sure there is at least 2 grams per tablespoon which is 4 grams per ounce. . . .

The formula gives you the percentage of active ingredient per recipe and by dividing that by the number of pieces it gives you the dosage per piece.

The stronger the active ingredient the stronger the dosage. Once you have established how many pieces of a particular product you need you can determine how much to use in your next batch. The effect will vary according to what variety you are cooking with and whether you are using leaves or bud etc.

The amount needed will of course be different for each person depending on both the strength of the starting product and the desired outcome of the medicine. This formula is just to give you a better idea of how much you are actually ingesting.

I know my doctor always asks how much I need to use on a bad day and since I don't always smoke it is difficult to say how much I actually use. With this formula I can tell him "I use the equivalent of 8 grams per day" rather than guessing "Uh, I think I use about six joints".

It can also help if you change strains; "I know I need to use 1 ounce of White Widow in this recipe but I need to use 1 1/2 ounces of Haze to get the same effect." Some days you might only need 1 brownie other days you might need 3. The advantage with this formula is that you have a quantifiable amount that you can use to judge.

The amounts given in the example (14 grams per 8 oz. of oil)are not meant to be a guide as to how much you should use, only to show how to figure the actual amount of cannabis concentrate in any given recipe.

Depending on your circumstances you may want to use 5 grams or 50 grams. Just plug in the amount and it will tell you your dosage.

If you need help with specifics feel free to pm me and I will do my best to walk you through it.

Thanks hun! That makes sense! Just getting ready to make butterscotch candy and some brownies-- I use butter for the brownies- but am going to try using B.H.O for the candies, since there is so much heat involved in the cooking- I thought the "oil" could be added after it cools to about 200f then melted in....?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I use acetone extracted oil, decarboxlyized in the reduction procecc, add %5 everclear to make it workable.

Suck it into a syringe and add 1 ml/1gram per 100 hard candies, each candy is 10 miligrams of extracted oil.

The size of the candy does not matter just how many were made.

To summarize: add known amount oil to candy recipe.

Divide how much oil (in mgs) was added, by how many candies were made.

The secret here is to be sure and make similar sized candy, then all will be equal. With this method any strenght can be made accuratley and repeatabley.

I imagine using bho would work the same since adding it to 300 degree sugar would, I think, decarboxlyize it sufficiently.

Archived