My Grow Room

donnachris

Well my grow room is going in today. I spent $370. in wood for the room itself. it's going in my basement. I will add pictures as the room progresses. Its going between the two black posts. you can see where they have started laying down the framework. I am so EXCITED!!!! lol

post-22326-0-91220300-1310234125_thumb.jpg

my room dimensions are going to be 6x8x6. it is going to be split down the middle of the six foot side so i have two rooms that are 3x8x6. i am hoping to be able to veg and flower in both sides. my intention is to buy a switchable balast for mh/hps and just switch the bulbs instead of moving the plants. there is also going to be a box on the outside that will be for seedlings and unrooted clones, if I decide to try cloning. I was going to post another picture as they now have started putting the framing in for the walls, but it says I can only post a picture that is 172,91K. what am I doing wrong that my pictures are so obviously too large?? please leave a reply and let me know. I will also look for the answer myself.

Thank You for your help!!!

good luck with the room are you going to go with seed or clone and what strains thanx i look foward to watching the progress

Thanks for your post sipher. I plan on starting with seed since I have already managed to get a few seeds from a few good strains.

A friend gave me a seed of this and a seed of that, I think he gave me three in total, so I will start there. I have some white russian which worked okay for my pain, there are others that work better, but these seeds came out of a bottle of meds that I got last summer. I also have a few g-13 seeds which my sister gave me. I also have a couple others but they elude me...lol I would like to have some sweet island skunk or I just recently purchased some meds by the name of free bird, man were those excellent meds, took care of pain very well and took care of muscle spasms but not as well, I still had small ones in my calves. If there are any strains out there that any one can think of that will help me, I would appreciate it if you left me a message.

I have chronic pain from osteoarthritis (old age arthritis), and I'm only 44 years old. My dr told me when I was 35 that my body was between 60 and 70 years old. I have muscle spasms, nueropathic pain or nueropathy/nueralgia, I'm a terrible insomniac, I have nausea from the pain meds that I am currently on, hearburn/GERD, and depression and anxiety attacks. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I want to get off all these meds the dr has me on, especially the 800 mgs of morphine that I take every day.

I am planning on a perpetual grow which is why i have decided that my room would have two different sides. That way all I have to do is change a light bulb, and bingo I go from veg to flower or flower to veg in two minutes.

Guest knucklehead bob

I am planning on a perpetual grow which is why i have decided that my room would have two different sides. That way all I have to do is change a light bulb, and bingo I go from veg to flower or flower to veg in two minutes.

What are you going to veg. with whilst you are flowering ?

Guest knucklehead bob

I don't understand how you are going to have a perpetual grow if you only have one switchable ballast and two bulbs . But then again , look at my moniker . :blink:

what he means is that you are going to need to have at least 2 lights one for veg and one for flower. i have deg arthritis and they want to replace both my knees but told me that it would probably be a waste of time because they told me that ill just end up with arthritis again in both knees and i also have sever back issues because of the deg arthritis it is in all my joints so it pretty much sucks so i know what you are talking about with the arthritis good luck with the room

I don't understand how you are going to have a perpetual grow if you only have one switchable ballast and two bulbs . But then again , look at my moniker . :blink:

I plan to buy a switchable ballast for each side of the room so that when it comes time to flower what has been veggin then all i have to to is switch the lights not move the plants around. the less i handle them the better right???

for people that have 1000W mh or hps lights, do you have 220 ballasts?? and which would be more inexpensive 110 or 220???

Guest knucklehead bob

I plan to buy a switchable ballast for each side of the room so that when it comes time to flower what has been veggin then all i have to to is switch the lights not move the plants around. the less i handle them the better right???

for people that have 1000W mh or hps lights, do you have 220 ballasts?? and which would be more inexpensive 110 or 220???

Should have known , one step at a time , right ? I'm running 600 veg. side , 1000 flower side w/digital ballasts that will run 220 , I'm on 110 . Can't say as to cost from one to the other .

It has doors now, but no ceiling. It will be completely built tomorrow, then I will start buying the electronic portions of my growroom.

Now I have another question. When you talk about a switchable ballast, does that mean switchable between 110 and 200 or does it mean that the bulb is switchable. Because as far as switchable ballasts all I seem to be finding is 110 to 220 switchable. I want to be able to switch light bulbs so that I dont have to move my plants from room to room. Can someone help answer my question. I found this http://dutchgardensupplies.com/super-sun-reflector-45-plt.html and am I right in assuming that that << plugs right into this >> http://dutchgardensupplies.com/budget-gro-ii-swbl-1000w-120-240v-ballas.html. if I am wrong, please point me in the right direction.

Most of the time when they say Switchable ballasts they mean Mh to HPS, just look for MH/HPS, or somewhere it has to tell you what type of bulb it is for. Most digital ballasts can go 110 or 220 and most digitals can do MH and HPS.

As far as price, 220 is slightly cheaper, by that I mean maybe a couple bucks a month at most. When you look at it, at 110v my ballasts (Nextgen 1000w) it is 9.75amp 110 and like 4.75amp at 220, but you are pulling 2x that, so it is really 9.5a equivilent. so I would save .25a over 110. So long math problem... I would save $1.70/month running a 12/12 light cycle if I went 220v. The biggest reason in my book to run 220 is you can run 2 ballasts on a 15 amp circuit at 220, and only 1 on a 15 amp circuit on 110.

Your second link didn't work, but if you have the right cord set, the hood doesn't matter. you have the hood, ballast, cord between, and a socket. It is probably a univeral cord in the hood you linked to, so just make sure the ballast has a universal plug in.

Your rooms aren't that big. Make sure you are planning a LOT of air exchange since you aren't looking at vented hoods. A 1000w light is going to heat that room with 4000BTu's. And I would definitely mount the ballast outside of the room.

Most of the time when they say Switchable ballasts they mean Mh to HPS, just look for MH/HPS, or somewhere it has to tell you what type of bulb it is for. Most digital ballasts can go 110 or 220 and most digitals can do MH and HPS.

As far as price, 220 is slightly cheaper, by that I mean maybe a couple bucks a month at most. When you look at it, at 110v my ballasts (Nextgen 1000w) it is 9.75amp 110 and like 4.75amp at 220, but you are pulling 2x that, so it is really 9.5a equivilent. so I would save .25a over 110. So long math problem... I would save $1.70/month running a 12/12 light cycle if I went 220v. The biggest reason in my book to run 220 is you can run 2 ballasts on a 15 amp circuit at 220, and only 1 on a 15 amp circuit on 110.

Your second link didn't work, but if you have the right cord set, the hood doesn't matter. you have the hood, ballast, cord between, and a socket. It is probably a univeral cord in the hood you linked to, so just make sure the ballast has a universal plug in.

Your rooms aren't that big. Make sure you are planning a LOT of air exchange since you aren't looking at vented hoods. A 1000w light is going to heat that room with 4000BTu's. And I would definitely mount the ballast outside of the room.

Can I run two 10000w 110 v lights on a 30 watt breaker???

So...my room is built now. I just don't have my little side box for my seedlings. That will happen in a couple of weeks when the carpenter comes back to put laminate flooring in my bedrooms. More pictures in my gallery, but all you can see now that it's finishe is a closed door...lol

Now that I'm ready to get started, wish me luck. I will be starting my grow log as soon as I start some seeds germinating.

And I get to start spending the big money on the lights and stuff.

ok, so I;\'m looking into ballasts and reflectors with cordsets and other things that I know exactly nothing about. I found a 1000w mh/hps 120/240 Convertible Ballast for $168.00 http://hypnotichydroponics.com/glassreservoirheater200w.aspx and an air cooled lite tube for $100 http://hypnotichydroponics.com/19cooltubewcord.aspx Can I use these together and will the cooltube take the 1000w bulb??

• 1 month later...

Ok so I spent more $$$ on my grow room today. I bought my lights and stuff, Tarzan told me I was getting a really good deal so I am doing okay so far. Here's what I've bought so far:

2-Xtrasun 6" White Reflector - Air Coolable

2-Heat Sheid for Xtrasun 6" White Reflector

1-Hortilux Super HPS Enhanced Spectrum Bulb, 1000W

1-Hortilux Metal Halide BT37 Small, Universal, 1000W

2-Xtrasun 1000W 120/240v HPS/MH Convertible Ballast

Perma Duct 6" - 25 ft.

2-ActiveAir Indoor-Outdoor Thermometer w/Hygrometer

Dual 6" Flange Kit

Milwaukee 3 function SM802 ph/ppm/ec

2-7 Day Dual Outlet Digital Timer

Eliminator Reverse Osmosis Filter 100 gal/Day

Eliminator Sediment Filter

Replacement Eliminator Carbon Filter

2-Light Track System, 6'

Order Total:

$1,920.50

Can someone please remind me what ec is because I remember that it is something important an on another site it is called something different. Heck on the site that I bought my stuff it is called two different things...lol

Ok so I spent more $$$ on my grow room today. I bought my lights and stuff, Tarzan told me I was getting a really good deal so I am doing okay so far. Here's what I've bought so far:

2-Xtrasun 6" White Reflector - Air Coolable

2-Heat Sheid for Xtrasun 6" White Reflector

1-Hortilux Super HPS Enhanced Spectrum Bulb, 1000W

1-Hortilux Metal Halide BT37 Small, Universal, 1000W

2-Xtrasun 1000W 120/240v HPS/MH Convertible Ballast

Perma Duct 6" - 25 ft.

2-ActiveAir Indoor-Outdoor Thermometer w/Hygrometer

Dual 6" Flange Kit

Milwaukee 3 function SM802 ph/ppm/ec

2-7 Day Dual Outlet Digital Timer

Eliminator Reverse Osmosis Filter 100 gal/Day

Eliminator Sediment Filter

Replacement Eliminator Carbon Filter

2-Light Track System, 6'

Order Total:

$1,920.50

Can someone please remind me what ec is because I remember that it is something important an on another site it is called something different. Heck on the site that I bought my stuff it is called two different things...lol

EC is "electrical conductivity". Pure water, H2o, is actually an insulator, it is the salts and impurities in water that give it conductive properties. The higher "EC" , the higher concentration of salts(nutrients) and impurities in the water. It is a way to measure the amount of nutrient in your solution. EC and TDS (total dissolved solids) meters are essentially measuring the same thing. A TDS meter is actually measuring the electrical conductivity of the water and converting it into a measurable quantity of PPM (parts per million) it gives a more convenient and accurate representation of the strength of your solution. There are two common PPM conversions in meters, a 0.7 conversion and a 0.5 conversion, they are both measuring EC the same, but will covert to different PPM measurements. As long as you have a baseline or target measurement, EC or TDS meter will serve the same purpose, to get your solution to the point that you want it.

Here is a outside link going into more detail EC and TDS explained

Here is bubblegrowers take on the subject EC and TDS meters

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so my light order came in today. Everything but the R/O system and i really wish that had come in, although Tarzan uses tap water and doesn't even test ph or ppm so maybe I will be okay. But I bought it because I would rather be safe than sorry and I have a water softener so there's a lot of salt in our water. We will be installing everything today and tomorrow so that I am ready when i pick up my clones at the market on Saturday.

Well couldnt install the stuff. The light rail that i bought are six foot and they say to leave a foot on each end for the light to have room on each end. Ao now i have to send them back and wait for the new ones to get here. In the mean time, hubby and i visited the farmers market today where i acquired two clones. I will start a grow log as soon as i get my list of nutrients feom Tarzan...lol You hear that Tarzan?? I'm gonna sens you a pm also...lol

Archived