Employment Denial With A Twist

BIG C

Being yet another 26'er with a 4 year degree and little prospects, I've been applying for jobs like crazy. A more recent (unfortunate) near-win was with a company in Midland Michigan, particularly focused on large scale production. NO WORRIES ADMINS; NO NAMES! I knew I'd get dropped, but I didn't know the extent. Before my interview, I was walked into production, and after dropping a few Key-Words, I was quickly recognized as having the right experience and walked into the interview in less than 2 minutes. Pretty Encouraging!

At the tail end of a great conversation with my possible supervisors, I was told this. "We'll, we usually take a bit more time to make a decision, but we're ready to say yes today." Unless you have an issue with a pre-employment hair test". DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I calmly said "Oh, of course not", I quickly scanned through my mind for the nearest head-shop selling detox shampoo within a 40 mile radius. I found one and made it to the occupational health dept. with just enough time for the weirdest haircut of my life. As I sit here, sans one manly armpit, I wonder how I could have changed the situation, picked a better product, tried a different method. Needless to say, 4 days later I received the ridiculous and unfortunate news that because I came up positive for THC, they couldn't offer me the position. INSTANT SHAME; COULDN'T HELP THE FEELING!

After a day or so, I worked up the proverbial sack to call back and let them know that I'm actually a medical marijuana patient licensed through the state. I mentioned that I had no idea how the company viewed it, but I consider it the same as another person with past lower lumbar injuries, having a Vicodin prescription (no bringing it to work, no use at work, no selling it, no issues), and either way, I would need a copy of my test results for my own personal records. Mostly, to get double my D**N money back from buying that crap product. Again, NO NAMES! If you've seen the box, you know which one I mean.

Surprisingly, a day later I was contacted by one interviewer, very intrigued about my situation. She asked if I had all the proper paperwork and card to back up my statement and was particularly interested because she'd never ran into this situation before. She was unaware of the company ever "running into this" as I remember it stated. She said she would have to speak with the company's legal department to verify their position on the matter and she would do her best to get back with me that day. THAT WAS TODAY!

Seeing the same number on the cell, I quickly picked up to hear the news, whatever it was. I was told that although the state considers it "CURRENTLY" legal, their legal department felt that they needed to follow Federal law and not accept THC-positive entrants, regardless of their doctor prescribed medical needs. In other words, "we don't give a S**T, we don't hire pot smokers".

The moral of the story, F**K IF I KNOW?! All I know is I still don't have a job, and this time it had nothing to do with my talents, qualifications, obvious potential to excel, or even my strikingly handsome physique and manly charms. It was just pot, and a really lame excuse.

THE END. :notfair:

That sucks man,, it is ashame you have to even worry if your legal. I agree it the same as anyone using another pain killing pill. It seems to be the way most people use marijuana that bothers many. If it were in pill form it would be more acceptable for sure. I had to get drug tested thru a temp service and I did pass even having vaped 2 days prior. Wish you luck on job hunt.

That really sucks... I gotta ask though...I am a little confused...Did you say they took your hair sample from your armpit? If so was it because you are bald? Im assuming no since you got shampoo. Ive never heard of that happening before unless someone didnt have a sample on their head. I bet it was definitly a suprise for you and very disheartening.

Seriously, if they had offered you the position, meaning they selected you as the most qualified candidate for the position and did not hire you because of a medical reason. Seems clear discrimination to me.

Call the ACLU in the morning. You may not get this job by you will have an impact clearing the way for your next opportunity, not to mention legions of others in the same spot.

Sucks and good luck on the job hunt.

I've had this happen to me also it really sucks donkey but I didn't waste my $ on the was stuff, sorry you didn't get the job. I just recently got a job and no tinkle test at all and I thought that was crazy as hell but hay it's a job on 3rd and better than nothing

MC

Seriously, if they had offered you the position, meaning they selected you as the most qualified candidate for the position and did not hire you because of a medical reason. Seems clear discrimination to me.

Call the ACLU in the morning. You may not get this job by you will have an impact clearing the way for your next opportunity, not to mention legions of others in the same spot.

I think has a valid point here. Best of luck ya might hit one like mcraven,,

Be Legal, Get Legal, Stay Legal. ........Pops

I worked for at a SECRET development facility, for one of the big three for 20 years. Our contract with them mandated extreme security measures, millions of dollars worth of security. A friend was looking for a job, but not qualified where I worked. I asked the head of the security company we used if they were hiring. He said they were, and I told him he would have no problem passing a drug test. He laughed and informed me they didn't drug test! "Are you kiddin' we would never be able to hire anybody!" he replied!

If I were you I would go back there and speak to their legal department and explain to them that federal law DOES NOT trump state law and bust out a bunch of Supreme Court cases that prove that. If they still wont hire you; take them to court and sue them for being prejudice. You must understand that not hiring someone because of their medication is the same as not hiring someone based on race, religion, etc... They are violating your rights I would go after them.

That sucks man,, it is ashame you have to even worry if your legal. I agree it the same as anyone using another pain killing pill. It seems to be the way most people use marijuana that bothers many. If it were in pill form it would be more acceptable for sure. I had to get drug tested thru a temp service and I did pass even having vaped 2 days prior. Wish you luck on job hunt.

Thanks for the encouraging words. No matter what, I know I won't give up. That's gotta count for something; right?

That really sucks... I gotta ask though...I am a little confused...Did you say they took your hair sample from your armpit? If so was it because you are bald? Im assuming no since you got shampoo. Ive never heard of that happening before unless someone didnt have a sample on their head. I bet it was definitly a suprise for you and very disheartening.

Very disheartening. Not bald, just too short. My armpit hair was the longest on my body, so that's what they took. Wondering if it was the deodorant I use blocking the shampoo from working correctly.

That is a spectacular point!!!! My brains are cooking on that one as we speak. I bet I could help the cause if nothing else. thanks for the suggestion Ten4!

I've had this happen to me also it really sucks donkey but I didn't waste my $ on the was stuff, sorry you didn't get the job. I just recently got a job and no tinkle test at all and I thought that was crazy as hell but hay it's a job on 3rd and better than nothing

MC

These days, your D**N right mcraven! Congrats on being able to make the ends meet. It's a blessing in and of itself.

What level did they detect?

I failed one of those years ago after using some "special shampoo" and they detected 1 picogram (1 trillionth of a gram). That is a decimal point followed by a lot of zeros.

0.000000000001 Gram (I think that is it)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/picogram

Sadly, I have to go pick my results up from them since the OC HEALTH Dept. doesn't hold your results, (ACCORDING TO WHOMEVER I SPOKE WITH!)Have to go in a min or so to grab it. We'll see what it says.

those smampoos ARE A SCAM. in order to work enough shampoo has to get into the sample to nullify the test. one extra simple test and the sample is marked ADULTERED. same as a fail

YUP, Screwed coming and going it seems. I'll never use them again; that's for sure!!!!

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR KIND SUGGESTIONS ENCOURAGEMENT AND SUPPORT!

I will certainly be speaking with a Michigan ACLU rep if I can find one. If there are any, I"ll be letting them know. When all it is for is cheaper insurance, you can't forgive that kind of treatment. Either way, you're right Ten4 and Se7en; it's a straight up violation of my rights as an American citizen and I have a right to employment NOT BASED ON MY MEDICAL INFORMATION.

Keep fighting the good fight everyone. I'll come back and let you know what my readings were.

BigC

OK HERE'S MY RESULTS:

THC: POSITIVE - 9.60 PG/MG

THC CUT OFF - 1.00

SO: Having used the C**** C***** Product, I came up with 8.60 PG/MG above accepted limits.

I "HAD" been smoking between an ounce and an ounce and a half a month. I taken it down to about 2 bat and duggout 1ey's a day. Pretty slim pickins, but now I just don't smoke. Nice to know I can basically quit when I want.

Archived