Stupid Questions

InterceptorP71

I am a caregiver for my wife who has numerous injuries and illnesses. She had me designated because she feels more comfortable with us providing her medicine. My plan is to build our own grow cabinets which I have already planned out. We're waiting on some funds to get everything together to build and equip it, hopefully it will arrive in the next couple of weeks. That seems to be the easy part. What seems like the hard part is exactly how we go about obtaining the clones and from whom?

Until I can get things going she is stuck on these horrible pain medications, we accept that. The paperwork was all sent in over a month ago so it's my understanding that she is now legal to use and that I am now legal to produce her medication. Needless to say she does not have her card yet, only paperwork. I know many tend to be hesitant because of that and we both understand that.

Once I have the cabinets set up (hopefully in the next couple of weeks) how do I legally get a hold of clones to begin the process?

I just want me wife off of these horrible pills as fast as possible. She is on Morphine, Lortab, Xanax and many others and I know they are doing her more harm than good because she is still in a lot of pain and it kills me to see her like this. I know it will take months until her medicine will be ready to harvest and until then she will be depending on the pills, I despise that fact but we both want to make sure everything is done 100% legal.

I am very sorry if it seems like I'm babbling a bit here, it's late and I haven't slept much the past few weeks.

Thank you for any advice and input.

I am a caregiver for my wife who has numerous injuries and illnesses. She had me designated because she feels more comfortable with us providing her medicine. My plan is to build our own grow cabinets which I have already planned out. We're waiting on some funds to get everything together to build and equip it, hopefully it will arrive in the next couple of weeks. That seems to be the easy part. What seems like the hard part is exactly how we go about obtaining the clones and from whom?

Until I can get things going she is stuck on these horrible pain medications, we accept that. The paperwork was all sent in over a month ago so it's my understanding that she is now legal to use and that I am now legal to produce her medication. Needless to say she does not have her card yet, only paperwork. I know many tend to be hesitant because of that and we both understand that.

Once I have the cabinets set up (hopefully in the next couple of weeks) how do I legally get a hold of clones to begin the process?

I just want me wife off of these horrible pills as fast as possible. She is on Morphine, Lortab, Xanax and many others and I know they are doing her more harm than good because she is still in a lot of pain and it kills me to see her like this. I know it will take months until her medicine will be ready to harvest and until then she will be depending on the pills, I despise that fact but we both want to make sure everything is done 100% legal.

I am very sorry if it seems like I'm babbling a bit here, it's late and I haven't slept much the past few weeks.

Welcome aboard InterceptorP71! I'm sorry to hear about your wife's ailments, and I applaud both of you on your decision to grow her medicine yourselves. Your question is valid! Acquiring plants is one of the things which isn't directly dealt with in the MMM Act and you are right to be concerned about it. You seem to be patient about getting into this whole process, planning your grow and building it in your own time frame. Have some patience with acquiring your plants too. Spend time reading and talking about growing. This site is an awesome resource for learning and interacting with other growers. Try to figure out what strains you might want to grow. The experienced growers here produce amazing results from finicky strains due to their years of growing. Try to find something that is easy to grow. By interacting with growers here you will gain some of their trust, and they will be glad to share their wisdom and knowledge. Given your circumstances, some may even be willing to exchange clones for something other than a donation... future product, cookies, maybe even a smile and a handshake. There is effort involved in growing, so don't begrudge anyone that expects compensation. Get involved in a local compassion club. The exchange of information is valuable, as well as the relationships you might make. As asignman already said, farmers markets are popping up all over and provide a great way to acquire plant stock and meds in a p2p exchange. If the public situation intimidates you, try to arrange something more private. Take a close look at what you decide on. You don't want to inoculate your new grow with anything nasty, and some growers may have a problem emerging that they haven't recognized yet. We've all been right where you guys are, trying to get our first grow going. Take your time, be dilligent about caring for your plants, and you'll soon be enjoying your harvest. I wish you well!

(how's that for babbling?)

what area are you located in? Have not been to any but there are farmers markets popping up all over where you can buy clones. And many of us will help when we can.

Hi asignman. We are located in Roseville. Are there any markets in the general area?

Welcome aboard InterceptorP71! I'm sorry to hear about your wife's ailments, and I applaud both of you on your decision to grow her medicine yourselves. Your question is valid! Acquiring plants is one of the things which isn't directly dealt with in the MMM Act and you are right to be concerned about it. You seem to be patient about getting into this whole process, planning your grow and building it in your own time frame. Have some patience with acquiring your plants too. Spend time reading and talking about growing. This site is an awesome resource for learning and interacting with other growers. Try to figure out what strains you might want to grow. The experienced growers here produce amazing results from finicky strains due to their years of growing. Try to find something that is easy to grow. By interacting with growers here you will gain some of their trust, and they will be glad to share their wisdom and knowledge. Given your circumstances, some may even be willing to exchange clones for something other than a donation... future product, cookies, maybe even a smile and a handshake. There is effort involved in growing, so don't begrudge anyone that expects compensation. Get involved in a local compassion club. The exchange of information is valuable, as well as the relationships you might make. As asignman already said, farmers markets are popping up all over and provide a great way to acquire plant stock and meds in a p2p exchange. If the public situation intimidates you, try to arrange something more private. Take a close look at what you decide on. You don't want to inoculate your new grow with anything nasty, and some growers may have a problem emerging that they haven't recognized yet. We've all been right where you guys are, trying to get our first grow going. Take your time, be dilligent about caring for your plants, and you'll soon be enjoying your harvest. I wish you well!

(how's that for babbling?)

Hi ToadInCan. First....good babble....LOL! Seriously it was very informative.

I figure being patient and planning everything out is the best way to do things. This is very important for my wife, so I want to make sure everything is done right. I have been researching different strains for her conditions and trying to find a balance and have a few different kinds in mind. I will keep an eye open for farmers markets and try to find a compassion club. It isn't easy getting her around now a days, when we go out I usually use a wheelchair for her. I don't mind compensating someone for their time, supplies and hard work that goes into the growing of the clones. Getting to know some growers would be great since this is new for me and I know I will have a lot of questions. I've read a lot here and all over the net, but situations can arise where talking to someone would come in handy.

Thank you both for your assistance, I appreciate it greatly.

the macomb county compassion club rents a hall right in your town. I have not made it to any of their meetings yet but mean to sometime. they do in fact host farmers markets from time to time and I think their next meeting is the 3rd wednesday of the month. I live in utica and can help if you need it.

I want to thank everyone who has replied to my post. My wife and I are very grateful for the assistance given and offered.

Now with the big question answered all I have to do is wait for the funds to arrive and build the grow setup. I'll be so glad when that happens. We have been speaking with her doctor about a plan to wean her off of the medications she is on right now. Of course that wont happen until her medicine is ready. Her doctor supports MMJ as medicine, which is a wonderful thing. She spoke to a "Pain Doctor" yesterday who wants to totally eliminate her pain meds completely but offered no way to manage the pain, he only said pain is merely in the mind....needless to say we did not discuss MMJ with him. This is a woman with 2 knees that are destroyed, degenerative disk disease, fibromyalgia (I know I mis-spelled that) and a few more issues. She had attempted a nerve burning in the past which only made her condition worse, she had that done with the hope that it would help her get off of the nasty pills, instead they were increased. We are hoping that the answer will be found in MMJ and from all we have read we are confident it will be.

Thank you all once again for all of your help, guidance and support.

• 4 weeks later...

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. I hope by now you're all set up, but if you still need to get ahold of some genetics you can buy clones at most dispensaries and compassion clubs, but to be honest, its hit or miss whether you get a decent clone, or one that is unhealth or loaded with spider mites. Dispensaries will buy and resell anything you can give them. So joe ripper could go in there with 50 clones off a male plant and tell them its whatever and they have no way of verifing that they're legit. Some dispensaries sell brand named seeds. As long as they come with the original packaging, this is the best way to get real genetics. Try buying like 12 seeds. Plant them all. Once they have branches, top them and clone the tops of each plant. once the tops are rooted, flower them. Once they show sex, throw away the males and contiue to let them flower. At harvest, find you best one and keep it's mother as a mother plant. Then just keep taking clones off that one. You'll never need to buy clones or seeds again. Plus you can help other people out with clones and make back some of the costs associated with keeping the mother plant veging. Just a suggestion. But there are clone farmers who know what they're doing. I won't refer you to one unless I know for a fact that they are legit (meaning I've grown there clones out and had no problems) and right now I can't gaurentee that about anyone.

Also, I'm sure you've already talked to a doctor about this, but just in case I should warn you, even with medical marijuana, your wife will still need to be professionaly weened off the other stuff...especially the xanax. Xanax withdrawal can cause siezures and strokes. I tried to ween myself off of it after taking it for only 3 months and I was paranoid and shaky for 4 months. And medical marijuana isn't nearly as strong of a pain medicine as morphine and Loratab. I would talk to a doctor who specialized in opioid dependence before quitting those.

Well I hope my post was informative without getting too much into your personal business. Good luck with your first grow. If you still haven't found genetics by mid-September, pm me and I'll be able to help you out. Just too much going on right now.

also might want to try serious seeds i have ordered from them for years and never had and issue good luck and welcome

Archived