Help. Browning Around Veins, Some Leaves Rolling Toward Stem

MMJ Intern

Two of my 5 wk old plants are browning around veins in the middle of leaves, some leaves rolling toward stem, and they both have a reptilian look and feel to them. The other 9 plants seem to be unaffected even though all 11 have received the same nutes, water, soil, & 400w MH light. The closest plant top is 18" from the light. It seems like only the middle foliage is dying but the tips aren't turning brown, they are becoming lighter (kinda like jagged raptor teeth. lol) Both plants have this hard, shiny look to it as if it has a thin exoskeleton covering the plant.

I separated these two troublemakers to the other said of the cabin until I figure out what's happening. They are currently on their third week of 80*F/45 rH and the GH veg nute plan with r/o water. I watered them with plain r/o and the run off pH was 4.5

Any assistance is greatly appreciated :bow:

I lovingly call this Jack Herer troublemaker Raptor

thc3.jpg

Literally, curling back on itself

thc1.jpg

thc2.jpg

I watered them with plain r/o and the run off pH was 4.5

I think you answered your own question in that one. You want that to be around 6.2 or so with soil. There is a little range, but 4.5 goes way out of it.

And with a 400w light on 11 plants, perhaps they aren't getting enough light to use all the nutes you are giving them. Dirt has been known not to need any additional nutes. (Especially at first) I would almost say, back off the nutes until you can be sure it needs them. And maybe get a bigger light or less plants. This is my thinking anyway, hopefully, someone else will pipe in and clarify my thoughts also.

my sour diesel only did this...last week

all 4 of them, yet not one other plant shows the same signs. i noticed it shortly after the middle of last weeks heat wave, i know for a fact my room was probably 25% above optimum operating temperature.

cooked um basically..

lost one... saved the rest so far, but i am absolutely concerned they will hermi now as a result of the imposed additional stresses.

Problems like this one go away with a proper humic content in your soil mix. You get humus through using earth worm castings and compost. The highest quality seems to be DIY. The humus will self regulate ph swings. Of course this only applies if your already growing organically, chems are not friendly to microbes and could cancel out any benefits from using humus......shredder

Looks like a possible CalMag deficiency or lock out is happening. I'd flush the crap out of them and then give them a foliar spray of CalMag solution with PH adjusted to 6.0-6.3. Adding dolomitic lime (not hydrated lime) to your soil helps prevent this. You can also top dress your soil with some dolomitic lime at this point after flushing. Using the accelerated formula of CalMag (2 tsp per gallon or 10 mls per 4 litres of R/O water) adjusted to proper PH when watering the next few times after flushing also should help.

im pretty sure you got a ph issue, and that in itself makes for nutrient lock out. your gonna need to ph the nutrients and the water.. first before givng it to the plants. what you have a clasic ph issues. and nutrient lockouts. look at the leaves, rolled under,, nutrient issue, plus ph.. make sure to ph the water first .. and cut the nutrients down to half. no more than 1000ppm, if you got a tester put it to work. good luck, you can over come this problem easily.

Usually when I fed them, I add nutes (GH's general organic calmag+, bio-root, bio-thrive grow, & bio-weed), ph test, add ph up to raise ph to 6.5 - 7, then apply.

So should I just add calmag + to r/o waterand increase the ph to 5.8 then flush them, followed by dolomite lime on the top soil?

Thank you again :bow:

Judging by your other threads you are using Happy Frog? It already comes with all the nutes it needs. Especially at 5 weeks? (I have never used it, but from the site "is alive with beneficial microbes and fungi that help break down organic matter and feed the plant roots. Between the earthworm castings, the bat guano, and the composted forest humus")

They can only grow so fast, more is not always better. When using a mix that has the nutrients in it already, you have to wait for the plant to start telling you it needs more (or be experienced with the medium you are using and the strain to have a good estimate of when they will start needing it).

Remember to take notes. Are these two a different strain then the rest? You have a few suggestions here and you have 2 plants. Why not come up with a separate plan of attack for both, and see which works better, next time you know when this strain does this, this worked last time. Looking over your past grow journal posts I would suggest the cal/mag foliage spray (light, light mix) and going with straight water for a bit. ( I prefer a 50/50 of tap water (sat out for a day) and ro/distilled) I actually just brought one back from the brink (which look EXACTLY like yours). But it was different circumstances. It was in a no drain batch of mud/sludge and went from outside to inside. (long story, not my fault..lol) It affectionately refer to it as my "guinea weed."

Usually when I fed them, I add nutes (GH's general organic calmag+, bio-root, bio-thrive grow, & bio-weed), ph test, add ph up to raise ph to 6.5 - 7, then apply.

So should I just add calmag + to r/o waterand increase the ph to 5.8 then flush them, followed by dolomite lime on the top soil?

Thank you again :bow:

The problem is that you are building up salts from the fertilizers and that is causing the soil PH to drop. The dolomitic lime counteracts this as it is very alkaline. The standard mix is 1/2 cup per cu. ft. of soil. You can bump that up with CalMag hog strains. I would also recommend switching to Botanicare's CalMag plus instead of the organic GH CalMag.

First flush the heck out of them with r/o adjusted to 7.0 (no CalMag) to get the salts out of your soil. Then give them a foliar spray with CalMag and use the accelerated formula for your next few waterings and feeding. Lightly top dress the soil with the lime after this. Your plant should start taking up nutrients again soon after the flush and any new growth should appear normal. The old growth won't recover, but will be fine if the lockout doesn't go any further.

Archived