Morhawk's Grow Journal

Morhawk

Well, figured I might as well start me a journal on here. I guess it could be a good place to reference for myself and for others to check it out and pipe in with tips, insults, or Howdy do's. :rock:

Growing medium = Sunshine Mix #4

Light = 600 Watt

Strains = 5 White Widow, 1 Dinafem Industrial (freebie :thumbsu: ), and my Guinea Weed.

All except my "GW" was from seed. The GW is from seed also, but it was from my patient. It suffered some shock during moving it from outside to in, and the pot and soil that it was in was pathetic. I took it out, cleaned off the roots and planted it in the SS4, crossed my fingers and talked nicely to it in the mornings and evenings. All the new growth is looking good and I am beginning to train it as my seedlings have a bit of catching up to do.

Room is not 100% finished, need to put up the mylar, not too concerned about that as they are pretty well lit being that they are quite small.

post-25924-0-98619000-1311818619_thumb.jpg

post-25924-0-53121300-1311818634_thumb.jpg

post-25924-0-91143500-1311818644_thumb.jpg

Right now I am feeding nothing as the mix has organic nutes included. Should be enough for 3-4 weeks according to the greenhouse, especially with babies. And for cost efficiency I bought a 600 watt MH/HPS dimmable system. That way when they are ready I can just switch the bulb and change the timer. I was running it at 25% and then bumped it up to 50. But then I got my patient's plant and bumped it up to 100 as it was an outside plant. It's about 18" above the big plant, and probably a good 2.5-3 feet above the seedlings. The temperature has been running about 75 around babies. of course, my thermometer (Gro-Rite?) has me wondering. It has a probe for a separate temp area, and one day I had the probe lying on the table a quarter inch away from the unit, and the inside/outside temps were different by 3.5 degrees.. lmfao ????

Been debating what to do now as my GW (Guinea weed (guinea pig, what the heck, right)) has thrown off my original thought out schedule and I do not have the money to set up a separate flower room at the moment. One possible solution is rigging up an old fridge in my basement with some Fluorescents and some sort of light proof air exchange rig to see what it does. But I would hate to get fluffy buds from a perfectly good plant.

My other debate for later is what I want to do for the veg room, do I keep the MH or go Flourescent. I will probably base this on what kind of deal I can get when I have the money. Decisions, Decisions.. lol Any hints, tips, donations will be accepted.. haha

Just talkin to my plants for a while, training up the new growth on the GW. And noticed something kind of interesting to me. I have two plants labeled, one being the Industrial and then one of the WW's that was just a really fat seed. Fat enough to where I decided it was worthwhile to track it against the others. Anyway, the second set of true leaves on it has the 5 blade leaves, while all the others only have the 3 blade there. Nothing worth me writing a book about, but just a nifty thing to note in the journal.

All in all they are doing quite well. One of them is keeping up with the rest leaf wise, but the stalk is so short right now that I dribbled some water on a leaf while watering and it stuck it to the growing medium..lol Think it may turn out to be the short, fat kid of the bunch. But that was me in school and I turned out alright, so I'll just admire its individuality. :gym:

Just looking at my pictures from only 5 days ago, the babies are growing at a beautiful rate. Even my patient says he never seen any grow so quickly. Of course, he's from the DIY dig up the yard and Miracle Grow it group, but hey, the internet and the knowledge train was limited back in the day, so no harm, no foul.

Keep up the good work Mohawk,If you set the fridge up dont forget to grab clones before flowering the guinnea and they will prob be on track with the younger plants-im assuming your seed is feminized as they usually come in 5 packs but just to clarify are they? :goodjob:

Yes, the seeds are fem. The WW's I ordered from Attitude and the breeder is Nirvana, with the exception of the Dinafem freebie. I have my hesitations and concerns about the fem seed aspect, but only one way to find out for myself. And I already took 3 clones for the guinea before I transplanted it and everything, just to be somewhat safe. The one clone didn't take and another one suffered a case of "mortal curiosity." :angel: Still haven't set up the fridge, not sure if I am going to as those little babies are growing faster than I expected. May just let the big one bush out until the rest are ready. Still in the debate mode bc for all I know that dang thing could be a male. It has some little preflower nubs, but some look like a male (with an area underneath that could be a small stem looking thing under the head), and others just have the nub base with no stemlike structure. I know there is only one way to know for sure.

It also has the raptor claw leaves going on, nice and dark green on the middle new growth. Not much I can do, that thing has been through heck and back. I should have taken a picture when I cleaned the roots. Ever see a taproot grow down an inch and make a perfect 90 degree angle? And all the roots were on that layer. Could have probably look for fossils in the dirt that it was in.. lmao So it may have even been a female at one point and now will hermie. All I can do is try, even if it throws out some crap for buds, my patient is along for the ride also..

My newest idea was to wait for that clone to get going a little and flower it to see. The mother is growing great now and has a few to spare for new babies, so I think this is my best bet.

Boy they sure do grow up quick..lol Kind of weird, is two are nice and "tall" compared to the rest. One is the Dinafem and one is the WW fat seed, in third place is a WW. Weird part is these are all in the black buckets, the three in the orange buckets don't seem to be pulling the height, it appears they are keeping up leaf wise, just keeping the nodes closer. Things that make you go hmmmmm.. Pure coincidence or something with the buckets.. hmmm And the GW is growing the offshoots nicely since I bent it over. Still overall looks like it got it's butt kicked, but that's because it did.. :sword: Still praying that it's a female.. :bow: (Looks a bit droopy today in the pic, but she just got watered this morning) Still haven't gotten around to the mylar, but my pt said he may come up with some money to help with dividing the room. Still in the market for a light. :-)

R1S100_00181.jpg

R1S100_00191.jpg

R1S100_00201.jpg

R1S100_00171.jpg

Just got a magnifier today, cheap chinese pos on ebay $3..lol It works, but its probably slowly killing me everytime I touch it. :pic: Anywho, was checking out the gw today and those preflowers are making me wonder. Some definitely look like a sac (more of a nub) on top of a stem like structure. And others look like they may have the potential to start opening up with the pistil hairs coming out. Really on the fence about this one, time will tell though. Although, looking at the stems there did appear to be trichomes in the midst of the hairs. On another note, it sure smells good. Never really got that up close and personal with it, and caught a whiff of those leaves. Male or Female, such a sweet smell, think I may have drooled a little bit.

Thank you folks. I figured I would keep the journal for a couple of reasons. I can look back for reference, and the more eyes the better. Maybe someone will see something that I am missing.

On a few side notes: I am in the market for another light setup preferably 600w. And I see this ad on craigslist:

I have a MH Ballast and reflector for sale. They are both brand new and have never been used. I am asking $150 firm. Thank you

So I mail this person: What is the wattage on your ballast? Is the ballast attached or separate from the reflector?

Answer: 1000 watt ballast yes it is i think

It is which one?? lol You don't know?!?! lol Anyway, I got a chuckle and a head shake out of it, I may follow up as I could get a good deal. Who knows, kind of scary dealing with someone who doesn't know what they have.

And Home Depot has a watering wand on sale online for a little over $5 and free shipping! http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202201715/h_d2/ProductDisplay?selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&navFlow=3&keyword=202201715&Ntpc=1&langId=-1Ν=P_PARENT_ID&storeId=10051&Ntpr=1&ddkey=Search

Under $6.00 with tax and it is being shipped. I plan on making me a Macgyvered 5 gallon bucket to attach this too instead of my watering can. I am too messy with it and it pummels the leaves on the short plants.

Well, I got bored and was playing with my new magnifier. Got the bright idea to see if I could put my camera up to it.. I'll be darned..lol The trichomes aren't showing up in them as I saw them, perhaps it could have been optical illusions reflected off the tip of the hairs, but I am 80% sure I am seeing them.. (Edit: Seems my pics were quite large, cropping one revealed what I was looking at, and that my GW is happy..lmao) Anywho, here are the preflowers from the GW. Still can't believe it worked...lol Let me know what you folks think.. Thank you!

100_0028.jpg

100_0024-1.jpg

100_0024.jpg

That is cool as hell man. Never a bad time to look at some "scope pics" or even "pseudo-scope pics."!

Yeah, no kidding. Still couldn't believe it worked. The cool part was that my camera has auto focus and it would pick up and focus on things through the scope.. Took me a little bit to get those pics, but in the end the cool factor was definitely worth it.

Just picked up my second light. Got a HPS Sun Systems 10 econogro 600w HPS with the Sun Systems Vented hood.. And 2 Hortilux (sp?) HPS bulbs (used 1/2 cycle) for $185 and a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. Not too bad, considering the effects pedal was given to me buy another guy to sweeten up a purchase of an electronic drum kit I sold. So in my eyes, I really only paid $185, and the guy said he hasn't picked up his Strat in a while, this may motivate him. Hopefully it does and its a big win-win.

Now I just have to divide the room and dial in the climate, and I think I'll be on my way to Flowerville. :thumbsu:

Yeah, I can't wait to get it setup. I feel 90% sure that my gw is a male. I mean, look at that preflower. Just can't help wanting to give it the chance before I throw it out, there are trics popping up around the base of a couple of the preflowers.

My WW's and DFI are doing nice, leaves already starting to get some hairs/trics on them.. Lookin good..

Yeah, I can't wait to get it setup. I feel 90% sure that my gw is a male. I mean, look at that preflower. Just can't help wanting to give it the chance before I throw it out, there are trics popping up around the base of a couple of the preflowers.

My WW's and DFI are doing nice, leaves already starting to get some hairs/trics on them.. Lookin good..

That GW looks like it's pretty well endowed :lol: Other than that it's looking good dude

That GW looks like it's pretty well endowed :lol: Other than that it's looking good dude

Yeah, I am going to take a cutting and put it in my flower room when I get it set up this week. Just to be 100% sure. It did go through a lot of stress about that time, so maybe it hermied or something and I can salvage something. Wishful thinking, but it's not like it's doing me any harm right now.

Yeah, I am going to take a cutting and put it in my flower room when I get it set up this week. Just to be 100% sure. It did go through a lot of stress about that time, so maybe it hermied or something and I can salvage something. Wishful thinking, but it's not like it's doing me any harm right now.

Hey better to be safe than sorry.

Picture update: One of my orange bucket brigade widows is starting to pull away from the rest, nice wide leaves and filling out nicely. Started them all on 1/4 dose nutrient. Will be bumping it up over time now.

R1S100_00291.jpg

White Widow: Bottom leaves a little beat up from the watering can. I made my 5 gallon/water wand Macgyverism to circumevent this (I'll put up a pic later, forgot while I was down there)

R1S100_00311.jpg

Dinafem Industrial:

R1S100_00301.jpg

My GW suspected Male: Still keeping it to try out topping and training/nutes. Was looking quite pale and started to drop leaves. Been feeding now and the color has come back a little.

R1S100_00321.jpg

Crap, Crap.. Divided the room today, about a 60/40 split favoring the eventual flower room. Also, put a ceiling in. Of course, my temp would go from a normal 76-78 to 87 and rising within a dang hour. No money left for an easy to install inline fan and some duct. I know of a couple small window air conditioners that would be available for me to use, but I am tired of cutting wood and nailing, lol. Not to mention going through the drywall dust BS again while cutting the hole.

I could just put a lock on the basement door and leave the grow room door open, but then I would be the only one legally able to do the laundry... :thumbsd:

Such is life, on a good note the babes are doing quite well, looking at them I am amazed they are only a month old. I'll put up pics here in the next day or so.

Well, didn't get the air conditioner, but I got a window fan and rigged up a box. I also dimmed the ballast to 75% and the temp has come down a bit. Still not happy where it is, but it's not worrying me as much. All the ladies in the veg room are showing preflowers with the happy little hairs coming from them. Put the 99.999999999999999% suspected male in the new flower room to play with the distance of the light and test it out. About half tempted to throw one or two of the WW's in there. They are only 5 weeks from seed though. The preflowers and nodes are telling me I could, but another month and they would be larger. Pics to come eventually, keep saying it, was busy building the room. So I will get them up eventually.

Archived